Counterfeit Spyderco's

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
akapennypincher

Counterfeit Spyderco's

Post by akapennypincher »

What are the tells? How do you not get a Fake?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Shop with a quality dealer. That's it.

Second hand is a coin toss if you are buying something like a PM2. I'd want to see the original sales receipt but even that is far from a guarantee.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Blerv wrote:Shop with a quality dealer. That's it.

Second hand is a coin toss if you are buying something like a PM2. I'd want to see the original sales receipt but rages far from a guarantee.
Spot on. I buy 90% of mine from New Graham, but there are at least a dozen trustworthy internet dealers out there. The only way I'd buy a PM2 and a few other Spyderco models on eBay or the forums these days would be if the knife being offered had a Collectors Club number on it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
akapennypincher

Well I know there are Counterfeit's as this has been posted before, but I was hoping to get some ideas how to spot em.

At a Gun Show Recently there were Counterfeit Micro Tech Auto, the people even copies the box, warranty card, and manual. Tell was all had same Serial Numbers
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

If you're fairly new to Spyderco collecting, for sure shop with a reputable dealer.

If you're after rare models that can only be found on Ebay, do your research and then it's still a gamble.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Your assuming a counterfeiter can't make small tweaks to the production pipeline OR just use a different photo? Once they have your cash they have it... Not exactly a Costco return policy.

Every fake purchased supports the industry of making convincing fakes.
akapennypincher

In a perfect would people would respect people intellectual property, but it is not a perfect world.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yep. And every time you post a "tell", you tell the counterfeiter what he needs to work on.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
akapennypincher

I am sure the counterfiter want to put as little effort into their products as possible. Too much effort equals less profit, and more cost to produce.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

yablanowitz wrote:Yep. And every time you post a "tell", you tell the counterfeiter what he needs to work on.
Yup. Threads that describe the things they're doing wrong only keep them in business...
nccole

Post by nccole »

JNewell wrote:Yup. Threads that describe the things they're doing wrong only keep them in business...
I agree to a point, but I think more good through education of potential buyers is done than harm. They get a real knife and reverse engineer it. They don't need us to tell them what is wrong with it. They can compare it to the original and see the differences themselves. Not to mention, English isn't exactly good with the majority of the fake makers.
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

Forgery is always different from the original. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but it can always be seen.
In 2013 Spyderco, made in the USA, has changed the way the labeling and logo. Copy them to become more difficult or costly. Very good! According to inscriptions to distinguish the original from a fake easiest.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I stick to buying from reputable dealers unless it is an obscure knife that isn't apt to be counterfitted and even then it is buyer beware.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

nccole wrote:I agree to a point, but I think more good through education of potential buyers is done than harm. They get a real knife and reverse engineer it. They don't need us to tell them what is wrong with it. They can compare it to the original and see the differences themselves. Not to mention, English isn't exactly good with the majority of the fake makers.
The thing is, like most criminals, they aren't smart enough to do the job right - at least not on their own! :eek: :D Probably right about the language gap. ;)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

nccole wrote:I agree to a point, but I think more good through education of potential buyers is done than harm.
I personally and respectfully disagree. :o

Every thread or poster trying to help someone discern the difference between a fake and a real knife assumes a certain level of responsibility. While they likely will not be fiscally responsible, I wouldn't want my "tips" to decide if someone gambles on a knife. If someone is looking for a second hand first generation Massad Ayoob (for example), it's pretty simple to help them out. That or if they are asking if a knife is a real Spyderco and it's extremely obvious the model was never even conceived. Real models of knives like the PM2, Poliwog SS, or Spin SS you would have to be EXTREMELY well versed in the differences AND be literally holding the item that is being purchased. If you bid/buy from someone who you don't know, you can very well get anything in the mail. The return policy is likely just as good as the seller so again, toss the dice.

IMHO (and this isn't directed at you, of course :) ), telling people how to "spot a fake" is like helping people drive safe while intoxicated. It's an abstinence solution. Period. You don't drive drunk and you don't buy from a 3rd rate dude on the web.

If you want to buy a Spyderco that is currently in production and has a high susceptibility of being faked:

1. Pay a premium from a real dealer
2. Scour the web and be fast on the trigger. Preorders, "notify me when this becomes available, have Spyderco forum surfing as your only hobby :p , and tricks like that.
3. Wait for supply to meet demand and buy something else in the meanwhile that is available from someone not selling knives from a van in an alley. :)