Delight with sub $100 models

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Delight with sub $100 models

Post by dbcad »

In many cases it's sub $60 dollar models :eek:

The blade materials are fantastic, workmanship superb, and functionally beautiful :D The more I use these the more thankful I am to Spyderco for making top notch folders like this affordable :)

What are your favorite sub $100 models?

(pic is fun viewing at actual pixels if you like looking at edges)
Attachments
endurapingocento.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Top to bottom:

Salt 1 ($70) and really great
C05 Economy (about $40 used) a forgotten beauty
Mule Team 18 ($90) a great bushcraft blade
UKPK Drop Point ($40) a very ergonomic slip-joint version of the Delica

Others not pictured:

Delica 4
PM2 (can be had for just about $100)
C35 "Q"

and of course my $30 Poliwog and the $70 Blue Lum. :p

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I love the Delica and Dragonfly. The Cat also sees quite a bit of use these days.
:bug-red-white
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The only real with every day street price sub $100 knives, which I carry and use are native and Jester. I like a lot M2 LW, but I gave it away to a friend.
I am not sure if you will count, but I paid $75 for my C83 bolstered black micarta Persian, $70 for my lightly used Native5, $68 for my lightly used Caly3.5 (back-up knife). :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

My Resilience was $42 shipped and is easily one of my favorites. Surprised more people don't have them. I guess a lot of people go with the Tenacious due to size, but the Resilience fits me like a glove. Great bang for the buck.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I picked up a 2nd hand Chicago recently and it has proven to be exceptionally useful. I can get it razor sharp, easy one hand open and closing with the liner - lock (which I far prefer to a back-lock), it was cheap enough to not be precious, and I don't have to worry about scaring the sheeple (and get arrested!) when I need to use it.
"Rules are for the adherence of fools, and the guidance of wise men". Except in a pandemic....
Military Kapara, Brouwer, UKPK (GIN1 CE, HH g10 & s110v), Delica IV SG, Caly 3 SE, Kiwi4, Lil Matriarch, Endura SG & SEW, Dragonfly Hap40, Manbug ZDP189 & SB, Ladybug 2, Vtoku & HB, Stretch HAP40, Squeak, Squeak Ti, Chicago440C, Ikuchi, Byrd Tern, Watu, Chaparral Stealth Ti, Manix XL & Rex45 G10, Shaman ZCarta, Wolfspyder, NC cf, N5 M4,
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

my new Pingo is great, Ladybug Hawkbill SE H1 is my go everywhere, and my SS D'fly was a gift but a great tank of a gent folder...

But the Superblue Endura is the best in class for <$100. You get a tough user in a boutique steel that allows a direct comparison to the VG10 E4.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Almost all of my FRN models were sub $100 and they are among my favorites. The G-10 dragonfly and my Caly 3 CF were both under that magic number and saw loads of pocket time. The G-10 dragonfly still being one of my all time favs. I have not paid more than $100 for any of my secondhand Kiwis, but I don't think that was your question.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I love my delica. I also carry a cricket sometimes.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Just decimated an empty beer box with the Pingo, about 30 pieces :D Still shaving sharp :D

Forever curious why more folks don't seem to be able to grasp the real value in Spyderco knives :confused: After handling many others I always lean towards the knife with a hole ;)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Jax

Post by Jax »

I only have 2 sub $100 spydies.
A dragonfly 2,and a ukpk.
I love them both..
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

For under $100 hard to beat the Delica, se Pacific Salt , or Dragonfly.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Love my sub-100.00 Spydies!

Current favorites:
Manbug- ZDP-189 steel, gets carried every day on my keys.
Salt 1- so light, so sharp, so corrosion resistant, cool titanium clip; really like this knife!
Urban- Wharncliffe, Orange-G10, light weight, slipit.
Squeak-Small yet powerful cutter, slipit, deep carry wire clip.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
tlo14290

Post by tlo14290 »

I carry a PM2 or Domino every day, neither one of which is anywhere close to $100 in my world, but it's funny, when I have to cut something , 9 times out of 10 my little black Delica 4 comes out of my back pocket...

Kinda hard to beat that little guy, for me.
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Native xhp for less than 100 is almost always on me at work now

My other two favorites the od goddard and centofante are both -100 and a steal at that price. I just realized a lot of the knives I use are pinned also. Long live the pinned knives!!!
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Delica 4, in VG-10 and Superblue.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Stretch for me :) . The Lil Matriarch is super cool too.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

One of my favorite spydie's and the one that sees the most pocket time is my Tenacious. All of the advantages of a Para2, but none of the costs.

I own lots of Spydercos, including some very expensive ones, and that cost is the downside. When I go to reach for a knife that is going to be used for some serious cutting I don't want to mess up my really nice knives. In that instance out comes my Tenacious and I commence to cutting without a worry or care in the world. I can get the 8Cr13MoV steel hair splitting sharp and keep it that way with just a few passes on the ultra-fine sharpmaker stones. That edge also polishes up nicely and keeps it's mirrored edge.
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." -----Sal Glesser
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Yes, this thread makes me want to dig out my old Cento. :)
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Of the ones that can be purchased new today for under a hundred, it would be the FRN/VG-10 Stretch.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!