Back to Spyderco...again. Paramilitary 2, Military Ti, or Native 5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JediKnight86

Back to Spyderco...again. Paramilitary 2, Military Ti, or Native 5?

Post by JediKnight86 »

Hey y'all. Good to be back on here, hope I'll stay awhile. I haven't been paying attention to Spyderco for a couple years, nor bought any. I was on an Emerson kick for awhile, but then I dug out a Paramilitary 2 M390 that I forgot I had. I started playing with it and, **** how did I ever let this knife sit?!? This has to be the smoothest action, most solid and satisfying lockup knife I have ever handled. There's something special about this compression lock. I thought it was just odd at first, now I get it. The Spyderco attention to detail and quality control is the next best thing to a Sebenza, really! But I'm sure you already knew that.

Time to get another knife. I have yet to get a Taiwan model (and I know they're really nice), but I usually stick to the Golden, CO ones. I really wish I had been paying attention earlier this year to get my hands on a S90V/154CM carbon fiber Para2. I see them on ebay for $600+. I also see a few other sprints and exclusives out there like a foliage 204P. I also really like the Military fluted titanium and Native 5 fluted titanium. I've handled the fluted titanium Millie and man is she slick! That Native 5 seems like one **** of a nice back lock, almost too pretty. Anyway, I need to pick something. Is there any I forgot???

EDIT: Just noticed a Manix 2 XL S90V carbon fiber and apparently there's a Manix 2 110V??? Wow.
Hi my name is Alex and I'm a Spyderholic :D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

All good choices. I have the regular ti Millie and love it. I actually prefer it to the fluted but I'm in the minority with that opinion probably. If you like Golden and the compression lock you HAVE TO check out the yojimbo 2!! I didn't hardly put that knife down for the first month I owned it! :) Hard to find right now but they pop up now and then. There's also an exclusive in cf/s90v slated to come out later this year. I would go with that or the ti Millie.
Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

Hi,
For something right now I would lean either towards the Manix XL S90V cf (I have it) or the Manix LW S110V (getting it next). At the end of the year when it becomes available I would jump on the Yojimbo 2 in S90V with cf from KW.
Welcome back....
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

Two of my favorite edc knives are the native 5 and manix 2 lightweight, i do not have the s110v, but iwouldmpick one of those two.
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Stretch Super Blue and Manix 2 lw S110V
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

The Manix 2 S110V is a wonderful knife. It's been getting a lot of pocket time since it's arrival. Check out the thread about some cardboard cutting & S110V. Granted, the blade was thinned down a bit in the cutting thread, but it's an incredible steel and up to 62 in hardness now, without any chipping, hard and tough at the same time! I did mine at 15 degrees per side and it cuts paper with its own weight and a slight draw. Can't say enough good things about this model.
Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

noseoil wrote:The Manix 2 S110V is a wonderful knife. It's been getting a lot of pocket time since it's arrival. Check out the thread about some cardboard cutting & S110V. Granted, the blade was thinned down a bit in the cutting thread, but it's an incredible steel and up to 62 in hardness now, without any chipping, hard and tough at the same time! I did mine at 15 degrees per side and it cuts paper with its own weight and a slight draw. Can't say enough good things about this model.
Before Jim thinned it down to .005" behind the edge it still did 720 cuts of rope. Hehehe...that is one bad *** blade no matter in what configuration. I would have one now but I fell into a brand new in box Pm2 cts 204p that I just could not pass up. Will be here Monday. Yes!!
Cheers
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Or.... A Caly 3.5 ;) . All excellent choices mentioned so far, you can do no wrong with any of them!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bh49

Post by bh49 »

All of the knives, which you mentioned are great choices, but not really available, so if you see any at decent price, grab them.
Titanium Fluted Military and Native5. I love both. I love fluting on Military much more, but it is too huge for my taste. It is pride of my "collection", but Native5, which is perfect for my hand was reprofiled, carried sometimes and used.
CF S90V Manix LX. I love this knife too. Prices on secondary market are not too crazy yet. If you see one, grab it.
And the last, but not least, just opposite. You missed IMHO one of the most amazing knives, which Spyderco ever made. It also my favorite and most used knife for almost a year: 2013 Forum Native5. dark green with diamond pattern G10 scales, S110V FFG blade. If you patient, you can find lightly used around $200. The knife well worth it, every penny.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
rescueseven

Post by rescueseven »

JediKnight86 wrote:Hey y'all. Good to be back on here...

EDIT: Just noticed a Manix 2 XL S90V carbon fiber and apparently there's a Manix 2 110V??? Wow.
Welcome back Jedi! I too had wandered off the reservation for a while. And you are correct, it is good to be back home.

Here's a little 110 eye candy for you.

"Don't tempt me, I'll do a sprint run of it!" -Eric
"We've been working on this design for 10 years, unsuccessfully." -Sal
WTC #1398 Bless their souls
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

bh49 wrote:All of the knives, which you mentioned are great choices, but not really available, so if you see any at decent price, grab them.
Titanium Fluted Military and Native5. I love both. I love fluting on Military much more, but it is too huge for my taste. It is pride of my "collection", but Native5, which is perfect for my hand was reprofiled, carried sometimes and used.
CF S90V Manix LX. I love this knife too. Prices on secondary market are not too crazy yet. If you see one, grab it.
And the last, but not least, just opposite. You missed IMHO one of the most amazing knives, which Spyderco ever made. It also my favorite and most used knife for almost a year: 2013 Forum Native5. dark green with diamond pattern G10 scales, S110V FFG blade. If you patient, you can find lightly used around $200. The knife well worth it, every penny.
There are a few on ebay right now, lowest is $226. I have the older purple Native Forum Knife, so maybe I need this one! What other Spyderco Forum knives did I miss?? I wonder if they did any more for USN.
RadioactiveSpyder

There was a BNIB one on there last week for $199. That one arrived at my door Thursday ;) (needed to replace my backup one). Good deals are out there, you just have to be super vigilant!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:There was a BNIB one on there last week for $199. That one arrived at my door Thursday ;) (needed to replace my backup one). Good deals are out there, you just have to be super vigilant!
$226 for BNIB with free shipping isn't bad for being able to buy it now and not have to wait to snipe one on here. But $600 for the the Para2 S90V/154CM just pisses me off. I had an original S90V Para2 and Millie, sold them. When will I ever learn?
mattman

Post by mattman »

Spyderco only made a VERY few of the composite S90V/CPM154 PM2s... (200 ...?)

That's why they are so high already.
RadioactiveSpyder

300 made of that CPM 154/S90V laminate version.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Carly 3.5
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

I do have a Caly 3.5. Definitely a great EDC knife. I'd like to get one in Super Blue, or a Caly 3 damascus/carbon fiber.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:There was a BNIB one on there last week for $199. That one arrived at my door Thursday ;) (needed to replace my backup one). Good deals are out there, you just have to be super vigilant!
IMHO $199 for NIB at this time is a good deal. I have my back-up and still fighting off desire to buy one more :cool:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

bh49

Post by bh49 »

JediKnight86 wrote: What other Spyderco Forum knives did I miss?? I wonder if they did any more for USN.
Only latest 2013 dark green Native5. The last on USN was Catcheman. But there is a chance for Hawkbill Ladybug in the near future.

JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

Well I decided to splurge on the S90V/154CM Para2. One of the ebay sellers worked out a price with me that's in line with what the others have been selling for, I checked closed auctions. I'm pretty happy with that. And I can tell you I'll be keeping this one!

But I don't know if I'm gonna stop there haha!