Kahr Delica, I don't get it

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Kahr Delica, I don't get it

Post by araneae »

I see the Kahr Arms Delicas popping up at dealers now and I have to say, I don't get it. Basically you get a normal Delica minus a chunk of blade, minus jimping, add stonewash and a different handle color and it runs about 50% more than a stock Delica depending on the dealer. Am I the only one scratching my head? :confused:
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
remnar

Post by remnar »

I bought mine because I needed an excuse to buy a Kahr pistol. :D

I completely understand that you don't get it and your reasons make perfect sense. I have a lot of Spydies that I don't necessarily need or use, and the Kahr Delica will probably be another one. I bought it because it is unique and interesting, yet it looks like it would make a great utility blade if I choose to use it. I know the price on this one doesn't really make sense if you simply compare its usability to a regular Delica, but I am lucky enough that I can splurge on some of these models that I would probably never even consider if I had to choose just one or two knives for EDC. With all of the knives that I have, I guess I am a collector or an accumulator, or whatever you want to call it. I buy what I like and often times it happens to be something different or quirky. Spyderco has such a huge variety of styles that I'm sure nobody "gets" them all. I think that is one of the things that makes Spyderco great.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

There's a federal law that says a knife branded by a gun manufacturer can only have so much value for the money. So they had to raise the price :) .
All God's critters have knives.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Just be glad it's Kahr and not HK. :D
:bug-red-white
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Its a self defence knife is it not? It is designed with Michael Janichs' martial blade concepts in mind.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Ned

Post by Ned »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Its a self defence knife is it not? It is designed with Michael Janichs' martial blade concepts in mind.
This...Only I wish it was the Endura and not the Delica. :rolleyes:
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

You'd come out cheaper just buying a delica and a file. ;) . I have to admit I'm up in the "don't get it" crowd, but whatever, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

"Just be glad it's Kahr and not HK." The H&K forum has a knife section, believe it or not, but it is only for the H&K knives. While I do enjoy shooting their pistols & weapons in general, their knives never did much for me. Basically, they are re-branded and manufactured by others for them with the logo thrown in for extra "value" if that works for you. I still prefer Spyderco for my knives, with a few others thrown in for good measure, of course. Will be passing on the Kahr Delica, but if it was S110V I might......
araneae

Post by araneae »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Its a self defence knife is it not? It is designed with Michael Janichs' martial blade concepts in mind.
I know what it is, I just don't get it especially at that price.
-Nick

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

It probably costs a bit more to produce. The blade has been changed from FFG to sabre grind with a bead blast finish, thats extra work. They removed the gimping, which should mean they save money (to me anyway) but I've heard Sal say anytime something is changed from standard production it slows things down, and costs more. The clip has a stone wash finish (more cost) and then it is a collaboration which means they have to pay royalties do they not?

Makes sense to me, I can see where the extra money goes. Perhaps Sal or Michael can correct me or add some insight.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I like the tan and maybe even the blue FRN and think the blade shape is interesting and would make a pretty good utility knife, but I have no use for the logo and almost doubled price.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Jandura was one thing, this is kinda silly to me. There are reasons it makes sense like blade length laws, but for this much mark up I'll bob the blade myself lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

No idea why the price difference, or at least that big a difference, unless the dealer that I've purchased most of my Spydercos from has made a mistake, since they're selling the Kahr Delicas for the same price as most of their other FRN/VG-10 Delicas. As for the rest, I chalk it up to the same thing I chalk up the rest of the entire tactical knife craze, namely that "there's no accounting for taste".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Anybody have a picture of this knife?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

jackknifeh wrote:Anybody have a picture of this knife?
From remnar on the show your latest purchase thread
remnar wrote:Arrived today! I really like the handle color and the finish on all of the metal parts.

I requested macros of the blade finish.
remnar wrote:I recruited my daughter to take the pics because I suck at macro photography. Let me know if you'd like to see any more.
BTW The other blade in the pics is a regular Delica 4.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

Maybe if the price was a bit lower i would grab one. And doesnt make much sense to me either why theres no jimping on a knife like that.
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I will say this though, if the Delica came with this style blade in standard length, I'd buy one even though I hate the handle.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

There are many knives I just don't get. This is just one of them. Just different tastes I guess.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
araneae

Post by araneae »

The blade grind hasn't been changed, the D4 has always been available in saber grind. I would be surprised if bead blasting is more expensive than satin finishing. Who is this a collaboration with? MJ works for Spyderco and its a take on his modified E4. Kahr just has their name on it.
Liquid Cobra wrote:It probably costs a bit more to produce. The blade has been changed from FFG to sabre grind with a bead blast finish, thats extra work. They removed the gimping, which should mean they save money (to me anyway) but I've heard Sal say anytime something is changed from standard production it slows things down, and costs more. The clip has a stone wash finish (more cost) and then it is a collaboration which means they have to pay royalties do they not?

Makes sense to me, I can see where the extra money goes. Perhaps Sal or Michael can correct me or add some insight.
-Nick

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

When a PM2 exclusive is twice the price nobody bats an eye ;) . I would guess volume (or lack of) is impacting msrp.

It's a cool knife. The should have done a 2.9" Yo2 regrind though. A 2.5" wharnie is pretty small and seldom legal when a 2.9/3" one isn't.