Stainless Steel must haves

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

JD Spydo wrote:No it is no longer under my ownership and I do somewhat regret that>> because after I got both of the Stainless handled RESCUE models I no longer saw a need for it so I traded it. I liked the Mariner and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a solid, durable serrated blade to do hard work with. But the Stainless RESCUE stole my heart because that model has more muscle and rigidity than any Spyder I've ever owned. I'll continue to beat the drum for both of the stainless handled Rescue models. It is one of the best quality built Spyders I've ever used doing hard cutting jobs like ripping apart carpet or anything else fibrous and heavy duty. The Stainless RESCUE is truly the most overlooked and under-appreciated Spyder ever IMO. And I do hope this Brother that started this thread gets both stainless RESCUE models for his stainless collection because to me it's a lost icon of what Spyderco is capable of making and it would bolster his collection very well.
I sure am considering it even more after your comment :p Don't know which one of the two is the "best" version though...
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DutchBlades wrote:I sure am considering it even more after your comment :p Don't know which one of the two is the "best" version though...
Both of the Stainless handled RESCUE models are truly nice collector models. The C-45 seems to be easier fo find than the C-14 which is the larger of the 2 models. The C-14 is almost liked a super beefed up version of the original "MARINER" model.

There have been many great models mentioned on this thread and most all of them would nice in anyone's collection. I have no doubt that your stainless collection will be one that will do well over the years. You might want to check the websites that have many of the older models listed just to see which all models would appeal to you personally. You've got me interested in many of the past stainless models just talking about them. I sure would like to have that pair of Caly Jr models in stainless handles as well as Brother Dialex's "ADVENTURA" model as well. Keep us posted as your collection grows because I truly think you're on to something.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JD Spydo wrote:For the life of me I never understood why the C-14 & C-45 STainless Rescue models just never got any significant praise at all. It's as though they fell through the cracks by default or something strange distracted everyone during their brief tenure.

I guess in all fairness during the late 90s when they were in the main line up there were a lot of super Spyderco models getting a lot of attention at the time. But as well constructed, beefy and rigid as they were I still can't completely understand why they just never got well known. I've talked to several collectors that never even knew they existed. And for a long time you could buy them on that one Japanese website as well as the plain edged Harpy. It's truly one of Spyderco's biggest mysteries to me.

They were kind of like a beefed up, super version of the Mariner which was in and of itself and great folder.
I suspect it was because 99% of all dealers were still strictly brick & mortar, and most saw no need to devote display space to two more knives so similar to the Mariner. May also have been because most folks buying Rescues wanted a lighter knife. They might fare better if revived today, although SS handles and pinned construction are both considered undesirable by quite a few.
DutchBlades wrote:I can buy a Standard.
What is a good price for it on the secondary market?
With box and all.
Hard to say. I'm assuming you mean an all stainless one, but there are still two versions - the older Economy with it's slab sides, integral clip, and visible rivets on the back side and the later Standard with more "normal" construction - and two edge types of each, PE and SE. NIB, I'd say $75 for a PE Economy, $100 for a PE Standard and perhaps 2/3 of those prices for the respective SE versions.
JD Spydo wrote:Isn't this model the same as the ProGrip model? It certainly looks identical to the ProGrip I used to own all the way down to the Kraton inlay. The model number should reveal that information.
The ProGrip started out life as the ProHunter. It turned out that another company was using that name, so Spyderco changed it to ProVenator, venator being Latin for hunter. At some point they realized that not all that many priests were knife nuts, and the Latin reference was too obscure for most other folks, so they changed it again to ProGrip. Knife is basically the same, although the steel may have changed over the years.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Not a fan of stainless steel handles, but I bought the Adventura anyway, as I think it's a must have. I also wouldn't mind any of the etched handled knives.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

Fully serrated SS Police is one of my all time favorite knives. Classic.
Hi my name is Alex and I'm a Spyderholic :D
JD Spydo

Deacon questions?

Post by JD Spydo »

OK Deacon you make some points about the poor timing and poor marketing of the stainless Rescue model. You may be mostly correct in many ways but I do feel that if more Spyderco fans ever got their hands and felt the bulk and rigidity of that model it would have sold much better IMO. I still think that with all the new super great models that hit the Spyderco main line up during that time period of the late 90s I think it could have been victim to being overshadowed by the JD Smith, C-54 Calypso, Herbst, the Viehle model, both of the Dyads and to mention the introduction of the Moran fixed blade. The Stainless handled Rescue I think was truly a victim of poor market timing possibly. Because that knife just flat got overlooked.

Now on the PROGRIP model??? The SPUR model was just basically a smaller PROGRIP wasn't it? That's what I've heard from a few folks over the years. It's unfortunate that the SPUR never really took off because it truly was one of the nicer small blade Spyders I ever owned. And that SPUR model has got to be in the top 5 as far as being rare and hard to find. I personally haven't even seen one since I got traded mine.

Getting a decent collection of Spyderco stainless handled models is going to be quite a time consuming job for this good Brother but I do believe it will be a nice collection to invest in.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JD Spydo wrote:OK Deacon you make some points about the poor timing and poor marketing of the stainless Rescue model. You may be mostly correct in many ways but I do feel that if more Spyderco fans ever got their hands and felt the bulk and rigidity of that model it would have sold much better IMO. I still think that with all the new super great models that hit the Spyderco main line up during that time period of the late 90s I think it could have been victim to being overshadowed by the JD Smith, C-54 Calypso, Herbst, the Viehle model, both of the Dyads and to mention the introduction of the Moran fixed blade. The Stainless handled Rescue I think was truly a victim of poor market timing possibly. Because that knife just flat got overlooked.

Now on the PROGRIP model??? The SPUR model was just basically a smaller PROGRIP wasn't it? That's what I've heard from a few folks over the years. It's unfortunate that the SPUR never really took off because it truly was one of the nicer small blade Spyders I ever owned. And that SPUR model has got to be in the top 5 as far as being rare and hard to find. I personally haven't even seen one since I got traded mine.

Getting a decent collection of Spyderco stainless handled models is going to be quite a time consuming job for this good Brother but I do believe it will be a nice collection to invest in.
Joe, just like the ProGrip was an updated version of the C03 Hunter, the Spur was an updated version of the C04 Executive. The Hunter and Executive represent the first time Spyderco offered two different sizes of a similar design. The most obvious changes to both the ProGrip and the Spur were a broader blade and a Kraton inlay in the front handle. In the case of the Hunter, there was an intermediate model, the Ironstone Hunter that had the broader blade, but not the Kraton inlay.

Top to bottom:
Original C90 Stretch VG-10/SS with Kraton inlays
C13 ProGrip FRN Version - Integral Clip AUS-8
C13- ProHunter/ProVenator/ProGrip - Early - GIN-1 marked G2
Ironstone Hunter - GIN-1 marked G2 - ProVenator style blade in Hunter handle
C03 - Hunter - Later Model - GIN-1 marked G2
C03 - Hunter - Very Early LH version (Note the unchamfered handle edge and lack of lanyard hole) - no steel markings
C32 - Spur VG-10
C04 - Executive - no steel markings, probably GIN-1

You're right about collecting SS handled Spydercos, heck there's one that has eluded me ten years now. Best someone can do is attempt to limit their interest to a sub-set of them based on some other criteria (model, lock, blade shape, era).
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
v8r

Post by v8r »

JD Spydo wrote:OK Deacon you make some points about the poor timing and poor marketing of the stainless Rescue model. You may be mostly correct in many ways but I do feel that if more Spyderco fans ever got their hands and felt the bulk and rigidity of that model it would have sold much better IMO. I still think that with all the new super great models that hit the Spyderco main line up during that time period of the late 90s I think it could have been victim to being overshadowed by the JD Smith, C-54 Calypso, Herbst, the Viehle model, both of the Dyads and to mention the introduction of the Moran fixed blade. The Stainless handled Rescue I think was truly a victim of poor market timing possibly. Because that knife just flat got overlooked.

I just sent a Spur to my dad for Father's Day. Very cool little knives that aren't easy to find these days.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

v8r wrote:I just sent a Spur to my dad for Father's Day. Very cool little knives that aren't easy to find these days.
I'm willing to bet that the SPUR model is truly one of the top 10 hardest to find. I'm surprised you found one but I bet your dad really likes it. Even the Pro-Grip isn't easy to come by anymore either. They are both premium models that would really compliment a collection of stainless handled Spyders.

This thread is interesting from one standpoint. I really never thought much about how many stainless handled Spyder models that are out there. I wish the man well with his collection and I bet it will be a good one when completed.

I would also add Titanium models to the collection as well. Because a collection of all metal handled Spyders would be awesome.
v8r

Post by v8r »

JD Spydo wrote:I'm willing to bet that the SPUR model is truly one of the top 10 hardest to find. I'm surprised you found one but I bet your dad really likes it. Even the Pro-Grip isn't easy to come by anymore either. They are both premium models that would really compliment a collection of stainless handled Spyders.

This thread is interesting from one standpoint. I really never thought much about how many stainless handled Spyder models that are out there. I wish the man well with his collection and I bet it will be a good one when completed.

I would also add Titanium models to the collection as well. Because a collection of all metal handled Spyders would be awesome.
I have had that Spur for over 5 years probably. It was almost in mint condition as well. The Spur is a hard to find model, but I believe it is under appreciated. Most people these days are in to Tacticool instead of Classy. I once had it on EBay trying to sell it, and it never even got a bid. I had a Buy it now Price of $45.00 as well. I didn't feel like $45.00 was out of line, and I figured it would sell easily.
I also bought a used Pro Venator several years ago off EBay that was fairly inexpensive due to the shape it was in. The Kraton was ripped and the pocket clip was missing the rubber piece out of it. The good thing about it was that the lockup was absolutely perfect. No play at all. I sent it to The Spydie Spa and she came
Back in almost new condition with a new pocket clip and all. The clip is cool with the rubber insert, but it is a pain to pull from your pocket so I just ordered a plain metal clip from Spyderco to replace it, and I think I'm going to start carrying it.
V8R

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Seriously, get an Equilibrium. I just got one, and I'm very impressed by this tiny cutting wonder.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
paladin

Post by paladin »

50 posts later...

It might have been better to start a thread "Which SS Spydercos do I not need to bother with collecting?"

Would have been a lot shorter anyways! :p
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Despite the love in this thread, do we actually think a revival of SS knives could come about?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
LC Kid

Stainless Steel Knives: Lovely Collectible Cutlery.

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

[quote="xceptnl"]Despite the love in this thread, do we actually think a revival of SS knives could come about?[/quote]

I do love my SS Spydercos. They were my first Spydies, I bought them as an AUS-6 Endura/Delica Combo, back when I was in High School:[/font]
ImageThey were my EDC for like 4 - 5 years. Then I began using 'new' designs, materials and ergos, and have been doing so since then. :) I think today I have 2 or 3 real options for what should be the BEST EDC Knife for me, and it certainly isn't SS. :cool: SS knives will always have an undeniable place in Cutlery, but that place won't be at the very Top of the List of Current Designs anymore. :rolleyes:
Stay Sharp!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:Despite the love in this thread, do we actually think a revival of SS knives could come about?
I'll tell you all one thing this thread has done for sure and it's really made me realize just how many great stainless handled models Spyderco has and what a great collection that it would turn out to be. I really never gave it a lot of thought along the lines of focusing my collecting solely on the stainless handled Spyderco models. I'm amazed to learn how many really rare and collectible stainless handled models that Spyderco has that many have literally been forgotten about. Some of them are going to be very hard if not maybe even virtually impossible to find. Especially models made before 2002 like the SPUR, the stainless RESCUE models and even the original Rookie are all not easy to find anymore.

There is no reason why stainless handled Spyders shouldn't be considered highly collectible because there are certain models that are really getting rare and many models are getting highly sought after like the stainless Caly Jr models. I would love to see what a set of those would auction off for especially with all the new collectors in love with all the other Caly Jr. models. Like I said before if you got all the Police models from 1992 till now that alone would be one awesome collection itself.

I think this Brother that started the thread is truly on to something good.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Yeah just think of all the Movies, and rap videos that the Police model has been in. Let's not forget the Harpy as well.
V8R

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Rookies.

:D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

v8r wrote:Yeah just think of all the Movies, and rap videos that the Police model has been in. Let's not forget the Harpy as well.
The Police, Harpy & Mariner stainless handled models are literally super icons of Spyderville. If you haven't had and/or used at least 2 out of those 3 stainless handled models they you just don't have the essence of Spydermania.

Stainless handled Spyders truly are what started it all in the first place.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I might get an Equilibrium :D
I like the flow of lines in a knife.
That's why the Dragonfly is one of the best design if you ask me :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
v8r

Post by v8r »

JD Spydo wrote:The Police, Harpy & Mariner stainless handled models are literally super icons of Spyderville. If you haven't had and/or used at least 2 out of those 3 stainless handled models they you just don't have the essence of Spydermania.

Stainless handled Spyders truly are what started it all in the first place.
Yeah u need to get me another Full SE Police for sure. have a H1 Mariner that I use often. I would also really love to have one of those Full size SS Rescues that someone posted earlier, that thing is cool!
V8R