Stainless Steel must haves

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
M80

Post by M80 »

Surprised no one mentioned the Executive.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

The Deacon wrote:Over the years there have been lots of all stainless Spydercos. Everyone's idea of "must haves" will be different, but here's mine:
  • Worker - Their first knife
  • Mariner - Their first serrated blade
  • Standard - "Father" of the Police, Delica, Endura, Rookie, and Ladybug
  • Police - Arguably their most iconic folder. And besides, any knife that can stay in production for 30 years with only relatively minor changes has to be good.
  • Harpy - The whole "bowels in or out?" thing
  • Kiwi 2 - Because I'm a Kiwi fanatic :o Plus, it's a neat little knife :)
I can buy a Standard.
What is a good price for it on the secondary market?
With box and all.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

In my opinion the Navigator2 is a really great stainless steel Spyderco yet kind of underrated or at least not so common. It's basically a beefy Dragonfly with different ergonomics and without a swedge. I definitely prefer it over the Dragonfly.
Actually it's a shame that Spyderco now barely makes any knives with pinned stainless steel handles. To be honest I really don't like the screwed construction FRN or G10 knives with nested and/or skeletonized liners. They tend to accumulate lint and dust, are difficult to clean and they disassemble themselves after a while without loktite. At least those are my experiences. But the stainless knives are simple thus easy to maintain and not as prone to any problems. In addition I like the weight. They feel solid and like high quality. So I can understand why you are into stainless steel knives.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Ignaz wrote:In my opinion the Navigator2 is a really great stainless steel Spyderco yet kind of underrated or at least not so common. It's basically a beefy Dragonfly with different ergonomics and without a swedge. I definitely prefer it over the Dragonfly.
Actually it's a shame that Spyderco now barely makes any knives with pinned stainless steel handles. To be honest I really don't like the screwed construction FRN or G10 knives with nested and/or skeletonized liners. They tend to accumulate lint and dust, are difficult to clean and they disassemble themselves after a while without loktite. At least those are my experiences. But the stainless knives are simple thus easy to maintain and not as prone to any problems. In addition I like the weight. They feel solid and like high quality. So I can understand why you are into stainless steel knives.
The ultra light weight knives of today are nice and all... But I want to feel it in my hands and pocket. I like the weight and sturdy beefy feel of the stainless steels.
Sure, I have plenty of FRN and G10 Spyderco's aswell,
but they don't feel as well made and durable.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

DutchBlades wrote:The ultra light weight knives of today are nice and all... But I want to feel it in my hands and pocket. I like the weight and sturdy beefy feel of the stainless steels.
Sure, I have plenty of FRN and G10 Spyderco's aswell,
but they don't feel as well made and durable.
You got it. That's exactly what I meant :)
I hope someday Spyderco will make more of those knives but I don't think they will. Stainless steel knives don't appear to be bestsellers. Unfortunately
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

My first two spyderco's was a SS SE police and a Harpy. Cool knives!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I must say that stainless knives have their advantages, they are the smoothest openers across the board. I mostly mean the pinned models, but as a rule, they open buttery smooth considering the lack of stepped barrel bushings, IKBS, PB washers, etc.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:I must say that stainless knives have their advantages, they are the smoothest openers across the board. I mostly mean the pinned models, but as a rule, they open buttery smooth considering the lack of stepped barrel bushings, IKBS, PB washers, etc.
Another aspect I like about Spyderco's stainless handled models is their rigidity and their solid feel. They are easy to keep lubricated and they work well for a long time with modern lubes like Militec.

And don't forget that many of those Stainless models like the Police and Harpy have been used with many different blade steels over the years. There is a reason that those Stainless handled models just won't go away. They are consistent sellers and they are great "hard use" knives and great for working in rough environments. My very first Spyder I ever owned I got back in 1995 at a Gun Show>> it was a stainless handled GIN-1 full Spyderedged Mariner. I've been impressed with Spyderco ever since.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JD Spydo wrote:My very first Spyder I ever owned I got back in 1995 at a Gun Show>> it was a stainless handled GIN-1 full Spyderedged Mariner. I've been impressed with Spyderco ever since.
That first Spyder still around Joe?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They may not be classics but the balance and equilibrium are cool little knives.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Stainless Delica and Lava. I have always been a fan of these knives and they were my indroduction to spyderco (DFly).

They always feel like you have a knife in your hand not a toy.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

DutchBlades wrote:I can buy a Standard.
What is a good price for it on the secondary market?
With box and all.
I don't know about NIB, but the one that I showed (slightly used, no box) was $40. I got another one for $27, and it was in similar condition.

So for NIB, I would guess about $60. There's a guy on Armslist selling tons of "collector Spydercos" who has a NIB C05 for $60.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:That first Spyder still around Joe?
No it is no longer under my ownership and I do somewhat regret that>> because after I got both of the Stainless handled RESCUE models I no longer saw a need for it so I traded it. I liked the Mariner and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a solid, durable serrated blade to do hard work with. But the Stainless RESCUE stole my heart because that model has more muscle and rigidity than any Spyder I've ever owned. I'll continue to beat the drum for both of the stainless handled Rescue models. It is one of the best quality built Spyders I've ever used doing hard cutting jobs like ripping apart carpet or anything else fibrous and heavy duty. The Stainless RESCUE is truly the most overlooked and under-appreciated Spyder ever IMO. And I do hope this Brother that started this thread gets both stainless RESCUE models for his stainless collection because to me it's a lost icon of what Spyderco is capable of making and it would bolster his collection very well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For me there are only a few I would care to have in stainless...Police, Ladybug, Dragonfly, Kiwi 3. This knife right here is the essential stainless Spyderco in my eyes. When people mention stainless, this is the knife that pops into my head (not my pic)

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Condition is everything

Post by JD Spydo »

No argument there at all "EVIL D" :) The Police model is truly a super icon of the Spyderco name. Like I said in an earlier post on this thread gathering all the different variants of the stainless Police model would be a big collection itself.

But I still think to do a collection of stainless handled Spyders you just have to add a few of the more obscure models to jazz up the collection.

I can't right now think of any more stainless handled models that we haven't thrown out to consider.

But be careful because in my collecting over the years many of the stainless models I grabbed up had scratches on the handles and the blades both. I would sure tell the seller or the guy you are trading with that they have to be pristine for your collection. Because just like coin collecting condition is everything
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Here's some of my SS Spydercos:

Calypso Jr., Navigator II, Lava

ATR, Jesters, Ladybug

Native II, Dragonflies

Forgot to get the Delica and a few others out. Sadly I don't have a Police yet or many of the C0x model numbers (in the first ten). Hope you like the pics! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
remnar

Post by remnar »

Pro-Venator

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

remnar wrote:Pro-Venator

Isn't this model the same as the ProGrip model? It certainly looks identical to the ProGrip I used to own all the way down to the Kraton inlay. The model number should reveal that information.
remnar

Post by remnar »

JD Spydo wrote:Isn't this model the same as the ProGrip model? It certainly looks identical to the ProGrip I used to own all the way down to the Kraton inlay. The model number should reveal that information.
I don't know enough to tell you what the differences are between the early Pro-Hunter/Pro-Venator and the Pro-Grip, other than blade steel. The one pictured is an early to mid 90's Pro-Venator with Gin-1 steel. I don't know the exact model number because I didn't keep the box, but spydiewiki does have some information about these models and their lineage.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

JD Spydo wrote:No argument there at all "EVIL D" :) The Police model is truly a super icon of the Spyderco name. Like I said in an earlier post on this thread gathering all the different variants of the stainless Police model would be a big collection itself.

But I still think to do a collection of stainless handled Spyders you just have to add a few of the more obscure models to jazz up the collection.

I can't right now think of any more stainless handled models that we haven't thrown out to consider.

But be careful because in my collecting over the years many of the stainless models I grabbed up had scratches on the handles and the blades both. I would sure tell the seller or the guy you are trading with that they have to be pristine for your collection. Because just like coin collecting condition is everything
A Scorpius would jazz it up :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.