Palladium inlay in Centofante 3/4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nate

Palladium inlay in Centofante 3/4

Post by Nate »

So I was able to pick up a Centfante 4 recently and didn't realize that the bug in the handle was made of palladium until I had it in hand and started reading up more on it. (Got it to try out a wharnie.)

Anyway, I saw a headline today that palladium just topped $850/oz. Does anyone know if the inlay is solid or an alloy? The catalog just says "palladium silver" and I couldn't find any more info.

Just kind of surprised and curious i guess. Since 3's can still be had for under $60, even if it had only 1/20th of an ounce of palladium, that would be worth more than 2/3rds the price of the knife?

Don't worry though, I'm not about to pry the bug out of the handle and sell it for scrap, lol.
:spyder:
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The Cento 4 is certainly worth its weight in palladium!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Ned

Post by Ned »

Congratulations, I wish I had a Cento4! I would imagine that the amount of palladium used would be a very small fraction of an ounce...kind of like gold leaf or electroplating.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
Nate

Post by Nate »

Ned wrote:Congratulations, I wish I had a Cento4! I would imagine that the amount of palladium used would be a very small fraction of an ounce...kind of like gold leaf or electroplating.
Thanks!

You're probably right, not that it would detract from the knife at all.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've wondered the same myself since it's so expensive. Never bothered to ask though. I bought my girl a palladium ring and it was pretty pricy.

And if you didn't know, it's the same metal that Tony Stark used to create the coils in the arc reactor ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Nate

Post by Nate »

Lol, yes, I saw that earlier. Almost bumped the "tarnish" thread, but started a new one instead.

I need to give my new 4 some use, but it was an unexpected addition and I'm having trouble putting my Caly down lately :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Ned wrote:Congratulations, I wish I had a Cento4! I would imagine that the amount of palladium used would be a very small fraction of an ounce...kind of like gold leaf or electroplating.
And possibly an even smaller fraction because the inlay is probably coated with palladium silver, which is sliver alloyed with a small amount of palladium, rather than with pure palladium. Regardless of palladium content, the bugs do look nice.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Nate

Post by Nate »

They do look nice!

Still hoping someone out there knows for sure. I did some more hunting online and read about "Precium," which is an approximate 25% palladium/ 75% silver alloy developed in the '70's for jewelry. It would be classified as tarnish resistant, and may explain why Evil D thought he had some tarnish on his in an old thread I found.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:Regardless of palladium content, the bugs do look nice.
+1
I can only wish that Spyderco would make more knives with the same bug and smooth scales. Looks classy.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
TSchloz

Post by TSchloz »

My wife even commented about how nice the bug looked on my Centofante 3.

Tom
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

The bug fell out of my user Cento 4. It fell from my hand & into some grass but I saw it go & was ale to pick it up & super glue it back in.
So from that I know that it is wafer thin & the back is not shiny like the front & looks like a different material. I suspect that it is as Deacon says, coated or plated.
It is a very nice touch & would be good to see on some more models.
Cento 4 is a very good little knife Apophis & I hope that you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. My most used Spydie.
O.
Nate

Post by Nate »

That's great first hand info O, I appreciate it!

I will be using the 4 over the weekend to take down a bunch of large boxes. Looking foward to breaking it in. :D
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I love the bug in my Centofante III, even more so because I was able to snatch it up NIB for 15 euro's :D
Even my girlfriend (Who I annoy on a daily basis about knife info she doesn't really care about) told me she liked the look it it :p
I would love to see more handles with the inlays and the channel pattern.
Looks classy and provides some extra grip.
Besides, the only other Spydies I own with a bug inlay are from Santa Fe Stoneworks.
And you can't snatch one up for 15 euro's if the seller isn't blind :rolleyes:
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

I have been trying to find a Centofante 4 for awhile. I really like Wharncliff blades on my knives and the bug on the Cento adds a touch of class. I wish Sal and Co. would offer a few more Wharnes in the line up. If any of my fellow forum members spot one drop me a line please. ;)