Blade Show Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote: Shaman – Basically, this is the long-awaited big brother to the Native. Sal showed this one to me and I was amazed at how it just melted into my hand. If you like the Native line, this will be a shoe-in. Roman, you’re gonna’ love this thing!
Michael,
Thank you for update. I cannot wait for this knife.
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Liquid Cobra wrote:When she complains I just tell her that she wanted kids and she got them. They cost us more money than my knife addiction ever will!
Liquid Cobra, that is one of the best comebacks I have heard. :D

Mental note saved.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote: Magnitude – IIRC, this is another concept model by Peter Carey. Sal called it the “larger version” of the Rubicon. I’m not sure how long it is overall, but I’m going to guess somewhere in the neighborhood of approximately 8”. Yes, it’s a flipper, and yes, it’s just as smooth and curvaceous as the Rubicon. I didn’t get a chance to handle the Rubicon, because it had already been entered for judging at the BLADE Show awards. Similar to the orange G-10 ring on the Rubicon’s pivot, the Magnitude featured a brown G-10 ring around the custom pivot. It also featured a 3D contoured back-spacer also made from brown G-10. I believe the handle was carbon fiber.
jabba359 wrote:I saw a picture of the prototype Peter sent to Spyderco and I'm even more excited for the Magnitude (his custom is called the Tremor, but there is already another manufacturer making a knife with this name) than I am for the Rubicon, which is near the top of my list. Blade length on the custom is 3.5" and handle length is 4.75".
Here's a picture of Peter's custom, from his website:
[ATTACH]23603[/ATTACH]
If Spyderco Magnitude will look like this, I will be really interested.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Oh Holy Crap....Ti Squeak? That's something I've been wanting for quite a while....and a Rassenti collab??? Really looking forward to the integral....have a feeling I'm gonna hate the price...should be amazing!!
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
1965ford

Post by 1965ford »

Blade show was great this year for sure. Sal and Eric were very accommodating and seemed to enjoy sharing all the new stuff with us. While I was talking with Sal, the owners of the foundry that produces VG-10 and ZDP-189 came up and had a conversation with Sal. Strange part was that Sal included me in the conversation, very cool. There was a steel mentioned that Spyderco has never used.... could show up on some knives in the future.
Endera4 Tenacious Sage3 Sage4 CFBalance Cricket Military Calypso Native5 Paramilitary2 Tenacious PacificSalt Salt1 DragonflySE LadybugHawkbillSaltSE Delica Domino SmallPersian2
buddy54ck

DITTO about the HOWES

Post by buddy54ck »

[quote="Pinetreebbs"]Thank You Ted. That was a great summary of what was there and he did it while the AC was marginal at best. :)

The Spyderco crew was busy as could be and as gracious as ever. I spoke with Eric about the Polywog and his clip tools. In the course of the conversation I told him preferred using FRN knives but liked the looks of G10. For example the Super Blue Endura I was carrying. You should have seen his face light up when he noticed the use on the blade. It's one thing to hear people talk about actually using their knives, but his expression really made it clear.

While we at the Spyderco display Jim Howe and his wife stopped by, they too are great folksi.[/
:spyder: :spyder:

Jim and Barb Howe are two of the Nicest People that I have never met in person!!! LAUGING OUT LOUD !!!
Seriously, They make purchasing my Spydies a pleasure, with their personal touch and friendly bantor!
You really have to LOVE THEM!!! I know that I do! Thanks Jim and Barb!

:spyder: :spyder: :D
Charlie /buddy54ck
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Bottom line question would be as prototypes were shown off, what is the release date for the real deals?
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

bh49 wrote:Michael,
Roman
The Chief lives! I am so on it. (see my sig)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

akapennypincher wrote:Bottom line question would be as prototypes were shown off, what is the release date for the real deals?
That is the $64,000 dollar question, I'm afraid. Sal mentioned that both the Golden plant and Seki plant were about at capacity in terms of production at this time. No specific release dates were mentioned on any of the new stuff--at least when I was talking with them.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:Michael,
Roman
No problem. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

You know, I'm kinda glad that these won't be out for a while. I really don't think I could survive on ramen for the amount of time it would take to get the money for all of the new models I want: Dogtag, Rubicon, GB2...
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
GLOCKCRAZZ

Post by GLOCKCRAZZ »

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to see these tomahawks.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Really wish someone had a pic of the ion (or the Southard custom impetus for it)!
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Thanks for the report. I'm really interested in that GB2.
Kohbanang

Post by Kohbanang »

Thanks a lot Ted and Michael
I am in for Magnitude ,Slysz bowie....any handle the Farid K2?
TBob

Post by TBob »

Many thanks to Ted and Michael! I'm feelin' a strong pull towards the Magnitude.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

When do we get pictures?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Scorpion wrote:When do we get pictures?
Photos of some of the models mentioned are in Mr Blonde's Amsterdam Show report thread from this past February. As for the rest, most likely either when they hit the street, or in next year's A'dam show thread, whichever comes first.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DansGunBlog

Re: Blade Show Report

Post by DansGunBlog »

phillipsted wrote:The Blade Show is a real winner this year. Bigger and better than ever - after two days, my legs gave out and I had to retire for some liquid refreshment. As usual, the Spyderco Booth was hopping and the Prototype/Concept case against the wall was full of exciting stuff. I had to stand back a couple of feet because I was in danger of drooling on the case. Seriously though, the Spyder Crew was gracious and informative as always - and you could sense the pride and passion in their work. Thanks for a great show guys!

OK, here are a few tidbits from the Prototype/Concept case. There were perhaps fifty or sixty blades in the case, and I couldn't focus on them all. :rolleyes: Like always, they ask that no pictures be taken, but they said that I was free to take notes...
Great list! The GB 2 sounds very interesting... can it be flicked open now, ie is the spydie hold still a little obstructed?

Main question tho... did you see or hear anything on the Military 2? :-)

Thanks!
Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee