Blade Show Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Thanks for the great report Ted, I'm very happy to read about the Stretch 3's progress. I hope it comes to market soon.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
dialex

Post by dialex »

Thanks for the exciting news. Spyderco is always full of surprises, to our satisfaction :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Love Blade Show, specifically took this weekend off to enjoy it! Awesome time, seemed bigger, organized a bit differently. Attended cool Emerson seminar on Tactical awareness. Spyderco booth is great, hospitable guys. Eric and Sal are great. The Ronin 2 was there this thing was cool. Eric mentioned likely see a Chinook next year.
Ken44

Post by Ken44 »

Thanks, Ted !
You did a great job.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Good stuff, thanks for the thread!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

When do we get pics?
Swick3 • Blue Lava • Orange Dodo • Persistence • Techno
No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly
Donut

Post by Donut »

Sounds like a great list. The Gayle Bradley sounds perfect.

Was it lighter than the original?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

willydigger wrote:When do we get pics?
Pictures of the prototype knives are not allowed.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

Pinetreebbs wrote:Pictures of the prototype knives are not allowed.
That explains why I can't find them anywhere. Thanks for the info.
Swick3 • Blue Lava • Orange Dodo • Persistence • Techno
No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly
mark jeneson

Post by mark jeneson »

My god. I'm going to be buying so many of those knives. Once I buy the Rubicon, Chubby, DogTag, Slysz Bowie…..sigh…the lives we live. How do any of us have wives? :D
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

phillipsted wrote:NIRVANA – A Peter Rassenti concept. This one is a beast. About 9 inches long open with a large clip-point blade. But the most interesting thing is that the handle is machined out of a single slab of titanium. It is a closed back design, so this knife feels incredibly sturdy in hand. The concept model also had a very interesting texture milled into Ti.
xceptnl wrote:This makes me very happy.
Me too... :D
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I went yesterday, I thought I'd add my 2 cents on a couple models I looked at to this thread instead or starting another.

Slyz Bowie: I am already a fan of the Techno, it is my EDC blade. I can easily see the Bowie pushing it out of my pocket. My initial reaction to this one is that it was substantially lighter than I anticipated, at the same time it had a great lockup and felt just as sturdy as any folder I've ever handled. The scales are convexed, which really doesn't show so well in the photos. It was very comfortable to hold. I went from thinking I will probably get this one to setting aside funds now. This one is a winner, as long as the final fit and finish is like the techno.

Chubby: Stout. This one feels very similar to the Techno to me. Heavy little rhino of a knife. I was holding a production prototype, so maybe they have made changes, but I felt the lockbar was too difficult to disengage. Where the Techno has a large cutout for the thumb to disengage the lockbar, the Chubby's non locking scale has virtually the same contour as the locking scale. The thick blade does make the lockbar accessible, but I felt it would be hard to close while wearing gloves or with wet/dirty hands. I'll be passing on this one...I might buy a second Techno instead.

Dogtag: I felt giddy holding it. Cute little thing. I wonder how many I can buy before I get into trouble with my wife.

Grizz
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

Ill be waiting anxiously for that ion!
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

mark jeneson wrote:My god. I'm going to be buying so many of those knives. Once I buy the Rubicon, Chubby, DogTag, Slysz Bowie…..sigh…the lives we live. How do any of us have wives? :D
I often ask myself the same thing. When she complains I just tell her that she wanted kids and she got them. They cost us more money than my knife addiction ever will!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Always a pleasure visiting the Spyderco Booth.

I'm looking forward to the Firefly, and the Dog Tag.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
SpyderNut

SpyderNut’s 2014 BLADE Show Review

Post by SpyderNut »

Hey all,

First off, thank you Ted for the great review on the new Spyderco prototypes. (By the way, I actually saw you at the prototype display on Saturday, but didn’t get a chance to introduce myself. I was the tall guy standing in the rear corner wearing the black Spyderco polo. I believe you were wearing a green T-shirt. Sal called out your name and I thought, “Hey, it’s Ted from the Forum!” Maybe next time I’ll get a chance to say “Hi” in person).

After attending my first BLADE Show, all I can say is simply “Wow.” I’m pretty sure I’m still in shock after being able to see (and touch) many of the new and prototype models. Both of my prototypes were there, but that’s a story for another time. :) There was a lot of traffic at the Spyderco booth (and I mean A LOT of traffic). Rebecca Campbell was very kind and allowed me to handle many of the new prototypes. Thanks again, Rebecca!

I was also tremendously fortunate to spend a good amount of time chatting with Sal, Gail, and Eric about many of their new models. The Glessers were very gracious and patiently answered all of my questions. Thank you again, Sal, Gail, and Eric, for spending time with me and also for your feedback. I really do appreciate that very much.

Here’s my own little review of some of the models at the show. (Please feel free to correct me on anything here. I’m doing most of this from memory since I didn’t have time to jot down any notes):

Shaman – Basically, this is the long-awaited big brother to the Native. Sal showed this one to me and I was amazed at how it just melted into my hand. If you like the Native line, this will be a shoe-in. Roman, you’re gonna’ love this thing!

Magnitude – IIRC, this is another concept model by Peter Carey. Sal called it the “larger version” of the Rubicon. I’m not sure how long it is overall, but I’m going to guess somewhere in the neighborhood of approximately 8”. Yes, it’s a flipper, and yes, it’s just as smooth and curvaceous as the Rubicon. I didn’t get a chance to handle the Rubicon, because it had already been entered for judging at the BLADE Show awards. Similar to the orange G-10 ring on the Rubicon’s pivot, the Magnitude featured a brown G-10 ring around the custom pivot. It also featured a 3D contoured back-spacer also made from brown G-10. I believe the handle was carbon fiber.

Slysz Bowie – Pictures simply fail to do this knife justice. Graceful and smooth, it is very well balanced and fit my hand nicely. It’s a big knife, yet it didn’t feel too bulky. I was initially surprised at how lightweight this knife was—considering how chunky the Techno feels for its size. Very impressive.

P.I.T.S. – The PIT folder (“Pie-in-the-sky&#8221 ;) was a pretty neat piece. I really didn’t know what to think of this design the first time I saw it, but let’s just say I had a change of heart. It’s actually relatively lightweight, considering that it’s an all-metal framed knife (titanium scales). I was really quite impressed with the new slip-joint like construction of this knife. Very unique!

Lady Finger – Designed by Ed Schempp, the Lady Finger is a mere wisp of a knife—very light weight and delicate. I believe this may be the slimmest Liner Lock folder I’ve ever seen. It didn’t feature a pocket clip, but I think this may be something to be considered on the production model. I’m guessing the overall length to be around 5 ½” or so.

Roadie – For some reason, I didn’t see this model in the display case, but Sal was kind enough to show me his own personal model. Let’s just say it was love at first sight. This little knife rocks! I really liked the uniquely-shaped blade and double-indented opening bevels. I suspect this will be a very popular model.

Edited to add:
Six-bladed Tool - (I think that's what it was called). Anyway, this thing was really cool. Think of a mid-sized Swiss Army knife and you'll get the idea. Rebecca said that this knife was in the very early stages of development. There are six implements: a main blade with Liner Lock, a serrated Hawkbill blade, a can opener, bottle opener with screwdriver, awl, a fishing tool (hook remover and descaler, I believe). Featured with black G-10 scales.

Sal also showed me his new Stretch—featuring a wider/deeper choil, a ZDP-189 blade, and brown G-10 handles. I was never a big fan of the earlier Stretches due to the shallow choil. The new generation Stretch has definitely changed my mind. I also handled the PIP, Dog Tag, Swede, Splitter, Nirvana, Chubby and several others. Ted already covered most of these, so I won’t say much except that I was very impressed with the last three. The Swede was roughly 6” overall and featured an almost recurved blade (think of the Captain). If the production model is anything like the prototype, this will be a fantastic knife. The Splitter was exquisite! It’s basically a redefined A.T.R.—complete with full metal scales and the Compression Lock. The blade profile reminded me of the Stretch or early Hunter models. The Nirvana is unlike anything I’d seen before. It’s a biggish knife, yet remains lightweight and graceful. The handle was a work of art: milled from one piece of titanium, it had many intersecting lines giving it an almost geometric appearance. I did see both of the new tomahawks, but I was too busy looking at folders to get a chance to hold either of them. One of them appears to be more of a “traditional” type ‘hawk, while the other appears to be more tactical-looking. That’s about all I can remember for now. If I think of anything else, I’ll be back to share.

P.S. I purchased a Super blue Manbug while at the show. This is my first foray into the realm of Super blue steel. Eric recommended “wiping the blade down and letting it patina.” So, let the patina begin! Sometime after the show, my darling wife surprised me with a new Bradley Air!! (Unbeknownst to me, she had talked with Mr. Janich and he helped her choose a “little souvenir” for me to commemorate the BLADE Show). I couldn’t ask for a more thoughtful wife! (And hey, she spent nearly four hours looking at knives with me without so much as a “Honey, are you almost done here” or anything. She really does deserve some sort of medal or award!). :)

Sorry for the long-windedness. :o

Stay sharp,

Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
TheChunk91

Post by TheChunk91 »

The stretch 3, slysz bowie, shaman and nirvana all seem like winners for me personally. Dang spyderco, where am I gonna get all that money :D
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Ooooooooooooh...Shaman. Been waiting a long time for this one!
On the hunt for...
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

SpyderNut wrote:Magnitude – IIRC, this is another concept model by Peter Carey. Sal called it the “larger version” of the Rubicon. I’m not sure how long it is overall, but I’m going to guess somewhere in the neighborhood of approximately 8”. Yes, it’s a flipper, and yes, it’s just as smooth and curvaceous as the Rubicon. I didn’t get a chance to handle the Rubicon, because it had already been entered for judging at the BLADE Show awards. Similar to the orange G-10 ring on the Rubicon’s pivot, the Magnitude featured a brown G-10 ring around the custom pivot. It also featured a 3D contoured back-spacer also made from brown G-10. I believe the handle was carbon fiber.

Stay sharp,

Michael
I saw a picture of the prototype Peter sent to Spyderco and I'm even more excited for the Magnitude (his custom is called the Tremor, but there is already another manufacturer making a knife with this name) than I am for the Rubicon, which is near the top of my list. Blade length on the custom is 3.5" and handle length is 4.75".

Here's a picture of Peter's custom, from his website:

[ATTACH]23603[/ATTACH]

Sounds like you had fun and thanks for sharing your observations.
Attachments
Tremor gen3 proto.jpg
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
knolan

Post by knolan »

Thanks much for the report Ted. Sure hope the Ti scaled Pingo you saw is the Elmax blade version that Sal hinted would be produced in the near future?