Salt 1 Pocket Clip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jaypowell0185

Salt 1 Pocket Clip

Post by jaypowell0185 »

I have been carrying a salt one for about two months now and absolutely love it. It has replaced my super blue delica for pocket time. The only thing I don't like is the black pocket clip. I wish it came with a polished clip. So I am wondering what grit sand paper should I use to sand off the black paint and polish the clip (Think tenacious clip). I think I am going to leave the barrel nut black.Oh and I do not own a dremel so everything will be done by hand. Thanks in advance
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

jaypowell0185 wrote:I have been carrying a salt one for about two months now and absolutely love it. It has replaced my super blue delica for pocket time. The only thing I don't like is the black pocket clip. I wish it came with a polished clip. So I am wondering what grit sand paper should I use to sand off the black paint and polish the clip (Think tenacious clip). I think I am going to leave the barrel nut black.Oh and I do not own a dremel so everything will be done by hand. Thanks in advance
I would start with a quality wet/dry 400 grit and go up from there. The clip is not stainless steel, it is titanium so that may affect your final result. On another note, they look great when heat anodized.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

I personally like the black coating on the clips. Looks cool when the paint starts to wear off.
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Head out to your local hardware store and get some paint stripper in a spray can. Spray on the clip....let sit 10 minutes. Wipe off paint. Lightly sand with a scotch-brite pad. Done. Takes about 30 mins total and costs less than $10.

:)

I've done this about 15 times. No joke.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Using a flat object as a backer, such as a small piece of wood, start with 320 grit wet dry. If that doesn't quite eat through the paint, drop down to 220 grit. Bring it up to about 400 grit, being sure to keep your polish lines straight and going completely from end to end without lifting off in the middle. Finish it off with gray Scotchbrite to even out the polish, again going from one to the other--it's amazing what it can do. As someone whose job involves the regular polishing of metal, I can tell you that this will work beautifully!
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
JBE

Post by JBE »

David Lowry wrote:Head out to your local hardware store and get some paint stripper in a spray can. Spray on the clip....let sit 10 minutes. Wipe off paint. Lightly sand with a scotch-brite pad. Done. Takes about 30 mins total and costs less than $10.

This...I forgot the name of the stuff that used to be heavily recommended for doing this, but it works great!!! Leaves a nice, flat ti finish to the clip when you're done
Jason
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like the idea of stripping it and heat anodizing it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jaypowell0185

Post by jaypowell0185 »

David Lowry wrote:Head out to your local hardware store and get some paint stripper in a spray can. Spray on the clip....let sit 10 minutes. Wipe off paint. Lightly sand with a scotch-brite pad. Done. Takes about 30 mins total and costs less than $10.

I think this is what I am going to do
jaypowell0185

Post by jaypowell0185 »

Worked like a charm. Now I have nothing to complain about on the Salt 1. Perfection