What's a better slicer than the Delica FFG?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flash900

What's a better slicer than the Delica FFG?

Post by flash900 »

For pocket EDCing, so the Endura is out for me.

For slicing food - sandwiches, fruit and the like.

Is anything a noticeably better slicer than the Delica FFG for its size?
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

At 2.5 mm of ffg not too sure . The chaparral is 2mm of Ffg so maybe that. I use my super blue delica for a lot of food prep and love it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

For pocket EDC, I don't think you're going to do much better for a slicer than the Delica.

But the thought that came to my mind on reading the title (before I read your post) was "Southfork!" :p
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

A reground Centofante 3? 2mm stock, but a shallow hollow grind. I find it a respectable slicer in its own right, but the ffg plus distal taper of the Delica give it the edge.

I'm not against an endura in my pocket, so I'd definitely give it an edge in slicing just because of the length. But it depends how you use it
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I have been using my SB Stretch every day since I got it, bigger than the Delica and smaller than the Endura.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm pretty sure the Caly 3 is thinner behind the edge despite being half mm thicker at the spine so there's that. I'd also bet the Centofante 3 slices better even though it isn't FFG.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
FDE

Post by FDE »

Chaparral is a great fruit slicer!
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

I second the Stretch 2 as it has a longer blade than the Delica, but the handle is close to the same length.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'll throw in another vote for the Chaparral. It's been my primary weekday/office edc for over a year now. It usually comes out at lunch. Plastic serrated knives are degrading to knife knuts.

I also like the Calys and UKPK as nice little pocket slicers. Don't have a Delica yet, but I'm thinking about picking one up.
:spyder:
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

+1 for a Centofante 3. Also narrower in your pocket if that is a concern. Cento is the knife I take to BBQs, someone always asks for a knife.

Caly 3 vs Delica - I can't pick up any subjective difference in slicing / food prep performance.

The big daddy slicer in my mind is still the large Lum Chinese - all subjective because I like mine so much that I am prepared to give up a whole pocket for it.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

C50 (discontinued) is a pretty good slicer...

The Stretch and the Mule design are pretty good, too.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

The Caly Jr. is my slicer of choice in that approximate size. It's discontinued, but well worth tracking down.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I was going to say my Caly 3, my Caly Jr. or my Vesuvius would be the better (in my uses) slicers.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Chaparral is great. If money is no object, and you're right handed or willing to use a fairly lefty-unfriendly knife, the Centofante Memory is also an excellent slicer.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

flash900 wrote:For pocket EDCing, so the Endura is out for me.

I think the Caly 3,5 and Sage are better slicers. But they are marginally better, not noticeably.

With that said, the Delica is still my "go to" food slicer, it's easier to clean.
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wanna say the Nilakka, but with the 4.5mm blade stock, which is a bit on the short side, I'm not sure how well it would slice things like cardboard even with a zero grind. I'm sure for things like rope it may be up there on the list but that thick spine is gonna hold it back once the thickness of the material being cut surpasses the height of the blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I'll go off a little and say opinel
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

flash900 wrote:For pocket EDCing, so the Endura is out for me.

The FFG Delica is very good for slicing. Opinels and traditional slim folders will do very well, but "noticeably" is hard to evaluate. I have a fruit testing knife that is very long and thin, but not Delica sized - the blade is longer. It is very good.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

First, Caly jr.,second Caly 3 or Caly 3.5.Trust me, Caly jr.cuts like a laser beam.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Thanks for all the fine suggestions, folks!

I've been trying the Chaparral -- mine is the early S35V version -- and it's a slicing winner: small, light and elegant. Not quite as easy to clean the food remnants as with the unlined Delica FFGs.

A Salt I PE is a favorite EDC. I often wonder if that could be reground FFG and, if so, how good a slicer it would be. Has anyone tried this?
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie