FRN Jester Sprint Input Needed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What color FRN would you like to see on the FRN Jester sprint run?

British Racing Green
11%
Burgundy
13%
Navy Blue
14%
Tan
6%
Orange
12%
Yellow
2%
White
11%
Purple
6%
Gray
5%
Glow-in-the-Dark
19%

Total votes: 443

JD Spydo

Re: FRN Jester Sprint Input Needed

Post by JD Spydo »

I've gone on record saying this on several occasions. The one sector of Spyderco knives I really don't have any need for are their "micro-sized" models. The Ladybug, Manbug, Jester ect. They are just too small for any practical application I could or would use them for. The Caly Jr. is about as small as you'll ever see me go. With the one exception of the Micarta Dyad Jr. model which I would just drool over a Sprint Run of that double bladed Spyder-Icon.

But I will say that at one time due to a lot of trading I was doing around the 2007-2009 time slot that I came across two of the JESTER models in the Burgundy Micarta selection. And when I traded both of them in different trades I had no problem finding interested parties to trade with. They were quite attractive for "micro models". Also I always did like the overall blade design of the JESTER better than I did any of the other small Spyders.

My vote for a Sprint Run JESTER would be that Burgundy Micarta version. But I'm sure most of you already have your favorites picked out. But I did remember that one small Spyder better than I did any of the others I had at that time.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:02 pm
Also I always did like the overall blade design of the JESTER better than I did any of the other small Spyders.
^this. Spyderco ought to bring back the Jester tout court. The forward thumb ramp with jimping is a brilliant design on a small blade.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Just a shameless bump... Dreaming of this showing up in the next reveal in the K390 lineup!
-Nick :bug-red
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I don’t have a specific steel or scale material in mind, but I strongly concur: I would just bring the Jester back, and failing that, would suggest that it’s a design worth sprinting every several years.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

dj moonbat wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:41 pm
I don’t have a specific steel or scale material in mind, but I strongly concur: I would just bring the Jester back, and failing that, would suggest that it’s a design worth sprinting every several years.

Agreed! I think it is worth adding to the Salt lineup as a permanent resident. I bet blacked out PE and SE H1 Salts would do well.

I think I heard there is an exclusive in the works, but it may be 2021 or beyond. Maybe we will get lucky and see a Salt or K390 in the next reveal though! :rolleyes:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:00 pm
dj moonbat wrote:

Agreed! I think it is worth adding to the Salt lineup as a permanent resident. I bet blacked out PE and SE H1 Salts would do well.

I think I heard there is an exclusive in the works, but it may be 2021 or beyond. Maybe we will get lucky and see a Salt or K390 in the next reveal though! :rolleyes:
Yup yup.

Salts n Sprints are flavors I like. K390 would be :cool: :spyder:
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Enactive wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:04 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:00 pm
dj moonbat wrote:

Yup yup.

Salts n Sprints are flavors I like. K390 would be :cool: :spyder:

Yep, I don't think bringing it back as a production VG-10 would drive enough demand. A blacked out Salt would be unique as a small blacked out rust-proof keychain knife in the lineup. Seems like a winner to me. I'd buy a bunch for all of our keychains.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Great to see this thread bumped to the top. The color poll doesn't make me happy, but a steel upgrade to K390 would enable me to ignore whatever color Sal wanted to put together. I'm still ready to buy whenever can make this a reality again.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

GITD LC200N SE would be fine for this goober. :)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I whould love a Jester "Plus" in the size of a Dragonfly to Lil Native!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

austrian_spyder_fan wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:05 pm
I whould love a Jester "Plus" in the size of a Dragonfly to Lil Native!

Did someone say Jester-fly??? :p I already have unofficial requests (via forum whining) for a Dodo-fly, Cricket-fly, Jester-fly, and Worker-fly to be added to the Dragonfly blade shape family. :D

The more people who ask for this stuff the better! Show that there is demand for these awesome blade shapes when put into the existing highly popular and refined Dragonfly handle. If they can make a blade in these shapes that will fit in the the existing handle, I don't see why they couldn't at least test the waters with something like an LC200N sprint in Toxic Green FRN. The steel and color will help drive demand and then people will fall in love with the blade shapes and drive demand for other variations.

I think that is part of the downfall of new models. Black VG-10 isn't enough of an incentive to get people to try a new model, especially at the ever increasing prices of these base models. They need to be introduced as sprints with a different steel and color to get people to buy and test these models out. Then if we are begging for more you can take it from there and add it to the lineup.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Maybe we should stick with trying to get a rerun of the model that already exists first. ;) That's been hard enough!
-Nick :bug-red
Derkomai

Post by Derkomai »

If I can post on the forum after more than 8 years, there can also be a GITD H1 SE Jester soon :D
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

They really need to add the Jester back into the lineup. A Toxic Green LC200N Salt version would sell well I would think.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

A jester in either lc200n or a coated tool steel would be a spectacular backup knife. That jimping up near the tip makes bearing down on it much easier, for all the tasks you don't want to put your 500$ custom para 3 through :D
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:21 am
They really need to add the Jester back into the lineup. A Toxic Green LC200N Salt version would sell well I would think.
I don't have access to all my old catalog files. Was the Jester ever sold at the same time as the Ladybug or Manbug? Maybe they're hesitant to add it back to the line up because it's really close to those?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:43 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:21 am
I don't have access to all my old catalog files. Was the Jester ever sold at the same time as the Ladybug or Manbug? Maybe they're hesitant to add it back to the line up because it's really close to those?

No idea. To me it is just a different blade shape. Like Hawkbills, Wharnies, and Sheepfoots in the Ladybugs and Manbugs. The Jester is a unique and interesting shape with the forward jimping. Not sure why they couldn't add it into the lineup as a test. Make a run of Toxic Green LC200N Salts in PE and SE and see how they sell.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Jester was sold at the same time as Ladybugs. I believe out side of the sprint, it was not sold as a stock model at the same time as the Manbug. I might be wrong, but that is what I remember. :o
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
araneae

Post by araneae »

The jester handle became the ladybug 3 handle and disappeared at that time. Way before the Manbug existed.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Bumping this back to the top.

We need a new Jester. K390 or LC200N both seem like they would be well received. Let’s do this!