Spyderco 2015 Calendar Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

Spyderco 2015 Calendar Contest!

Post by TazKristi »

The Contest

Enter the Fourth Annual 2015 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest today! We are again making a 12-month wall calendar using images created by you, our forum members. A total of 13 images will be chosen - one image to represent every month and one grand prize ‘Best of the Best’ winner to be used as the calendar’s cover image.

Submit your extraordinary photographs, drawings, paintings, water colors, digital creations, you name it. If it can be printed, it’s fair game.

The Prizes:
The grand prize winner will receive a Spyderco Southard Folder Black Blade C156GPBBK and have their photo featured on the cover of the calendar.

Artists who have their images chosen to represent a specific calendar month (a total of 12) will each receive a C123CFBAP New Sage3 Bolt Action Carbon Fiber.

Contest starts 0900MDT June 2, 2014 and ends 1600MDT August 1, 2014. Winners will be selected by Spyderco over a two week period following the contest and should be posted on the forum on August 29, 2014.

Please read all of the submission requirements before posting.

Submission Requirements:

1) Please include a 2-5 sentence (max) description of your image - why you chose the product(s) featured, the history of the image, etc.; something to give us a better understanding of your submission.

2) Image must include a Spyderco product(s) or logo. Any product Spyderco has ever made is fair game. Product can be in mint condition, used and abused, or radically modified. Your submission can be seasonal, retro, traditional, artistic, black and white, color, sepia, comedic or serious. Set your imagination loose, we want to see it all.

3) You must include the model name of the product(s) used in the image and your Forum name. Model name and Forum name do not necessarily need to be a part of the image, but it must be included with your submission. Please place them both immediately under your image description so we can keep all information with the correct image submission.

4) Only ONE image submission per person. You are permitted to modify your submission after posting. If you decide to modify your entry, you must fully delete your original submission and re-submit the new image before the contest deadline. Having multiple photo submissions at the end date of the contest will invalidate all of your submissions.

FORMATTING: (IMPORTANT) The Spyderco 2015 Calendar will be printed in an 8 ½” by 11” landscape format. Only landscape formatted images will be considered and significant cropping/resizing may occur to winning images. Sorry, all portrait formatted images will be disqualified.

Final Printed Image Guidelines (ABSOLUTE MINIMUM – Images should be no smaller than this):
Width: 3450 px
Height: 2700 px
Resolution: 300
(This translates to 11.5” x 9” to account for a ¼ inch bleed)
Image must be available in high resolution at 300dpi at end of contest.

Image Preview (for posting on the forum)
Width: 960px;
Resolution: 72;

Submitting Your Image: In order to be considered, post your image to this thread. It is not necessary or recommended that you post a 300dpi image to our Forums. Keeping up with web standards, a 72dpi image preview that does not exceed 960px in width for the forum will be just fine.

IMPORTANT: New this year: As we announce the winners, will also announce how to submit your hi-res image. We are unable to use the image posted to the forum for printing-quality reasons. If you cannot supply the image at the end of the contest, your winning submission will be forfeited.

*You must keep the high resolution copy of your image saved locally until the winners have been announced in order to qualify should something happen.

Content Restrictions:
The submission must not contain any copyrighted material (unless you own the copyright); your submission must be entirely original and created by you. Images may not contain any kind of promotional material - this includes trademarks and logos for non Spyderco businesses, even those for your own personal endeavors. Only family friendly, G-rated and tasteful submissions will be considered. If it’s salacious, offensive or anything the Disney Channel would reject, so will we.

NOTE: If you upload an image that we feel might violate our content restrictions, we will do our best to contact you and let you know that your image might be disqualified prior to the end of the contest.

Eligibility:
The 2015 Spyderco Calendar Contest is open to everyone. If the artist is under the age of 13, the artwork must be submitted by their legal guardian. Prizes will be shipped only to adults over 18 or to those who provide written parental consent. Employees, relatives of employees of Spyderco, its partner companies and manufacturers are not eligible to enter or win. This contest is subject to all laws and void where prohibited.

Winning images become exclusive property of Spyderco Inc. By posting your photo in this thread, user grants unencumbered, free usage and printing use solely to Spyderco Inc.

Contest ends Friday, August 1, 2014 (1600MDT).

**Calendars will be available for purchase this autumn through the Spyderco Factory Outlet Store
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Aside from Mr. Blondes Amsterdam thread, this is my 2nd favourite thread of the year! Very exciting, good luck to all that enter. Thanks Kristi and crew for putting this on again!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

That's VERY generous of Spyderco. You all are pretty darn awesome.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Looking forward to trying my hand this year. Thanks for the opportunity.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Clip

Post by Clip »

Good luck everyone! Looking forward to the entries!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Model - 2013 Spyderco Forum Knife Native5 - C41GPGR5
Forum Name - Evil D

I chose the Forum Native 5 because to me it represents the relationship that Spyderco has with their customers and forum members. It's one thing for a company to provide an open forum for public feedback of their products, both good and bad, it's another thing entirely when those customers ask and receive amazing special edition knives like this. To top it off, offering that knife at nearly 50% of MSRP so everyone can have the chance to own one shows that the company cares about giving back as much as they do about making profit.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mattman

Post by mattman »

Can't wait to see what you guys bring to the ring this year!

Let's see 'em!!
Holland

Post by Holland »

I look forward to this every year. Hopefully third times the harm for me :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
rescueseven

Post by rescueseven »

Holland wrote:I look forward to this every year. Hopefully third times the harm for me :D
Do you plan on getting hurt?
"Don't tempt me, I'll do a sprint run of it!" -Eric
"We've been working on this design for 10 years, unsuccessfully." -Sal
WTC #1398 Bless their souls
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Very excited about this. Was able to get some shots today but will have to make a much more concerted effort, no messing around! Although, my Navaja showed up in the mail as I was walking out the door on a hike, so it of course needed some snapshots.
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

Let the games begin......good luck everyone!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

It is no surprise that the new Cruwear Manix 2 is right at home in the mountains of Boulder, Colorado. Like the mighty flatirons, the Manix is tough, hard, and solid--while remaining beautiful. The diamond cut gray G10 and the CBBL lock complete the exceptional form and function. The result is a rugged, dependable folder that offers pleasing asethetics and comfortable ergonomics, complete with a blade that is at the cutting edge of knife design.

I can provide the image with or without the "Spyderco Bug" cloud.

Forum Name: GoldenSpydie
Model: C101GGY2

Thanks for the chance, and good luck to everyone! :)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

TazKristi wrote:The Contest
4) Only ONE image submission per person. You are permitted to modify your submission after posting. If you decide to modify your entry, you must fully delete your original submission and re-submit the new image before the contest deadline. Having multiple photo submissions at the end date of the contest will invalidate all of your submissions.
Could this "modification" be up to and including a total change to a new photograph? Or is the intent to stay with modifications of the original entry only? For example someone might make a submission then later happen upon a dazzling new idea or situation but be stuck with the original submission.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I believe you can change your picture completely at any time. But when the contest ends, you can only have one entry up.
:bug-red-white
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

gbelleh wrote:I believe you can change your picture completely at any time. But when the contest ends, you can only have one entry up.
I believe you are correct sir!

The real question is, who is going to break the ice and post the first entry?
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

I would but picture from my s4 aren't in league with slr...
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
Invective

Post by Invective »

chuckd wrote:I believe you are correct sir!

The real question is, who is going to break the ice and post the first entry?

I guess I can do that :p

Forum Name: Invective
Description:
Okay, so I went with the theme of "Then and Now". Mainly because I realized I had some good contrast with the Gin1 Worker and the Fold-A-Vee, and the CPM-154/S90V PM2 and the Sharpmaker. The advances and CQI on the products Spyderco sells now are amazing, and yet the products they sold back in the 90s and 80s still work just as well and can give the current products a run for their money. I chose the Worker as it is the oldest Spyderco I own, and the iconic Spydie, and the CPM 154/S90V PM2 because it is one of the most technologically advanced, what with the clad steel.

Model Names
Spyderco Worker C01S
Spyderco Paramilitary2 CPM 154/S90V C81CFPE2
Spyderco Fold-A-Vee 105M
Spyderco Sharpmaker 204MF

I might change it up, I wasn't able to make an actual whitebox so its just printer paper in the background and you can see the crease/line so I want to remove that, but if I don't get to doing that I'm fine with this image.

Hope to see other people post pictures now too!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Nice idea, Invective.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I think I'm going to have to dust off the old camera. Maybe an old photo i have if it's up to spec. I don't know if it's high res enough and i can't recreate it. But the contrast is beautiful. Good luck fellow competitors.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Looking forward to seeing this years contributions:) This calendar contest usually has a very good vibe to it:D No doubt there will be a boatload of fantastic entries:)

Enjoy the "Now and Then" Doug. The history and evolution are forever fascinating:)

My knife this year is the Native CTS-XHP. The ergonomics are superb:eek: The blade takes a silly edge readily and keeps the edge extremely well:D The grind is a beautiful compromise of puncture, slice, and tough:D Fit and finish on this model is superb:D I love having this Native in my pocket everyday:D A perfect all around EDC:D

Enjoy the contest all:)
Attachments
native1.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]