Spyderco 2015 Calendar Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

gbelleh wrote:This year, I'm entering my recreation of Leonardo da Vinci's famous drawing, "Vitruvian Man." The original drawing represents the ideal human proportions, based on geometry described by the ancient Roman architect, Vitruvius. The original drawing (along with more information about it) can be found here: Vitruvian Man

To me, the Spyderco Delica represents the ideal proportions in an EDC folding knife. So, I present... "Vitruvian Knife" :D

Model: Spyderco Delica 4 (gray, VG-10)
Forum Name: gbelleh
We need this as a poster option! Or desktop mat...I'd buy either in a heartbeat.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

gbelleh wrote:This year, I'm entering my recreation of Leonardo da Vinci's famous drawing, "Vitruvian Man." The original drawing represents the ideal human proportions, based on geometry described by the ancient Roman architect, Vitruvius. The original drawing (along with more information about it) can be found here: Vitruvian Man

To me, the Spyderco Delica represents the ideal proportions in an EDC folding knife. So, I present... "Vitruvian Knife" :D

Genius!
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
brj

Post by brj »

man, this ^ is insanely cool
Regardless of our native language, we all speak "knife" - Sal
brj

Post by brj »

Concept: "In the barren and desolated lands life may take you, your Spyderco will always stray true and be your compass needle, showing you the <real north>".

Knife model: CTS-20CP Para Military 2
Forum name: brj

The knife pictured is my trusted 20CP Para2, constant companion and regular EDC.
The pic was taken at a mud volcanoes site in Romania.
Regardless of our native language, we all speak "knife" - Sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

:o I just want to remind a couple of people to check the rules. You need your knife name, your forum name, and a couple of sentences. You have real nice pics, and I'd like to see them on the calendar. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Forum Name: Liquid Cobra
Model: C85G2 Yojimbo 2

My submission for this years calendar is a photo of my Yojimbo 2. Designed as a personal-defence knife by Michael Janich, it also excels as a utility EDC blade. The wharncliffe blade makes for a powerful cutter while the spine has a curve perfectly designed for your thumb to rest on which I tried to highlight here. Considering that this knife was designed with MBC in mind I thought a splash of red was fitting. I used a photography technique called light painting, this shot was done in camera with no photoshop trickery, just a long exposure and a light source.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

I think we have a winner... :)
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Forum Name: Cheddarnut
Model: C85GP2 (and MGREP)

As Yojimbo means bodyguard in japanese, I wanted to show the knife as a friend that watches over us, shielding us from trouble, but not blocking us from beauty. Together the shadows merge and the protector and protected become one.

"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Cheddarnut wrote:Forum Name: Cheddarnut
Model: C85GP2

As Yojimbo means bodyguard in japanese, I wanted to show the knife as a friend that watches over us, shielding us from trouble, but not blocking us from beauty. Together the shadows merge and the protector and protected become one.

An excellent photo and concept! Get's my vote
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Thanks Xceptnl, like others that posted for the contest i took a gazillion shots that boiled down to about three. There have been some very dramatic interpretations of the Yo2 in here, its so photogenic imo that it should have its own calendar :D
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Knife model: Spyderco Phil Wilson South Fork ~ FB30G
Forum name: jtoler_9

The knife pictured is a re-submission of one of my favorite Spyderco models. This SouthFork goes with my family and I every summer when we go camping and fly fishing in the Uinta Mountains in UT. I grew up fly fishing on those streams. I share a love of fishing, much like the designer of this fantastic Spyderco collaboration fixed blade. I am happy to share this legacy with my kids each summer. With this blade at my side, I never feel unprepared to wander the back country. It is up to any task I ask of it.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Nice submission Jtoler 9.

-Matt
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Nice submission!

-Matt
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Forum name: jabba359
Model: C145 Zulu

Since photography is the art of capturing light, my theme was to show both the reflection of light as well as a manner for capturing that light. The circular motif of the camera lens and buttons also finds it's counterpart in the round Spyderco hole.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Yup, gbelleh's DaVinci Delica is a winner in my mind and wayyyy to cool not to use in some other promotional stuff - how about a t-shirt??
Nicole

Post by Nicole »

Spyderco posting on behalf of Allen Huerta

When it comes to putting together the perfect recipe for brewing a beer, one also needs the perfect tools to help send them on their way. Every homebrew recipe starts out with a solid base; in this case an American 2-Row Barley Malt that begins to shape the perfect experience for the perfect beer. When it comes to my knives, I also need a tool that is tried and true. The Spyderco Chaparral is just that, perfect for every job and situation. Truly one of the essential tools for life.

Spyderco Chaparral

Name: Allen Huerta

[ATTACH]23698[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Chaparral1.jpg
howdowncat

Post by howdowncat »

Name: howdowncat
model: Navaja

I am a forum lurker, but I have been collecting spydercos for a year or two. The Navaja is my most recent Spyderco and the work that Ed Schempp does is truly magnificent. Combining carbon fiber with stainless steel bolsters is a beautiful contrast in materials and design. The ethnic series and the Navaja in particular, make for wonderful EDC or collectors items, or both!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Nicely done, howdowncat! Welcome to the forums too. Hopefully, this will bring you out of "lurking." :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

Forum Name: Holland
Model: C81GPBL2 - Paramilitary 2, M390 BentoBox Exclusive

The Paramilitary 2 has been a regular in my rotation during the summer months where most of my time is spent on construction sites. The Para has amazing ergos with no real hotspot, making it ideal for extended use. The knife has stood up to all the abuse I have thrown at it and it keeps on going. Incredible knife from an incredible company.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
VnnnnV

Fossilized Spyderco Caly

Post by VnnnnV »

Model Name:
Spyderco Caly Super Blue Sprint
Forum Name: VnnnnV

I love how my Caly Super Blue has acquired a patina with use-it truly has become my own. The visual aging process of the blade led me to the concept of a fossilized image-its character and wear reminds me of fossils embedded in rocks. Shot a picture of my Caly (quite a few actually) and superimposed that on an image of a rock near the shoreline where I live. The image was then processed with a combination of Photoshop filters, layers and blending techniques to get the desired effect.

Thank you for the opportunity!