Restoring G-10's original texture?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Restoring G-10's original texture?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The texture of G-10 seems to smooth out over time which makes the knife a bit more slippery in the hand. Does anyone know how to bring it back to its original form or is it gone forever? I've used Mr.Clean Magic Erasers to clean G-10 but it seems to have no effect on texture.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Gone forever sadly enough, just like this minute. ****, there goes another! ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Liquid Cobra wrote:The texture of G-10 seems to smooth out over time which makes the knife a bit more slippery in the hand. Does anyone know how to bring it back to its original form or is it gone forever? I've used Mr.Clean Magic Erasers to clean G-10 but it seems to have no effect on texture.
I would speculate that they could be sandblasted. This changes the texture of Micarta so it could work.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

xceptnl wrote:I would speculate that they could be sandblasted. This changes the texture of Micarta so it could work.
Jip, sand/bead blasting is the only cure I know of to get that texture back.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

xceptnl wrote:I would speculate that they could be sandblasted. This changes the texture of Micarta so it could work.
Am sure it would add texture where none existed, but tend to think it would not only fail to restore the original peel-ply texture to worn areas, but would probably erode at least some of the remaining peel-ply.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Deacon wrote:Am sure it would add texture where none existed, but tend to think it would not only fail to restore the original peel-ply texture to worn areas, but would probably erode at least some of the remaining peel-ply.
It surely will not make it like new, but it is the only way I know of to increase the texture.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

BALLISTOL: The best cure for G-10 handles

Post by JD Spydo »

I have never seen any product work better on G-10 handles than a product I've used for years on various tools. BALLISTOL is the only thing I use on G-10 knife handles: Not only does it rejuvenate them it actually seems to heal up minor scratches. I use BALLISTOL on all my G-10 handled blades at least twice a year to keep them looking good and well preserved.

AS far as cleaning goes if you have a really dirty or greasy handle or a handle impregnated with all kinds of grime and filth I have always used a product you can get in hardware and paint stores called TSP ( Tri-Sodium Phosphate). You do want to use a mild solution of it to start with and use rubber gloves because it is very caustic. But those 2 products keep all my G-10 handles looking near perfect.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that BALLISTOL has a sort of swelling effect on G-10 which I believe does help the overall texture of the handle and does a little to keep it "grippy". Also if you have a G-10 handle dirty/greasy enough to use TSP to clean it then I suggest you use a soft bristle toothbrush to do a thorough cleaning job.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Nate

Post by Nate »

In theory, it seems like you could sand the g10 down fairly smooth and then just apply a new layer of resin, topped with some fresh peel ply release fabric. Probably would be fairly involved, but could be done?
:spyder:
Ned

Post by Ned »

Or, maybe its just time for some new custom scales! ;)
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Dang. I was hoping for a quick and easy fix. Thanks for the replies. I heard ballistol stinks. Any truth to that?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I have two CF Stretches, one that's seen considerable pocket time, one brand new, and I'd defy anyone to tell which was which on the basis of their peel-ply texture. That makes me wonder why the peel-ply texturing of peel-ply CF is so much more wear resistant than that of peel-ply G-10. I'm guessing it's the resin, but is it? If so, could that same resin be used on top of G-10? Granted, it would technically not be "pure G-10" anymore which would open up that can of worms, but it would definitely make for a superior product.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Dang. I was hoping for a quick and easy fix. Thanks for the replies. I heard ballistol stinks. Any truth to that?
Ballistol does have a bit of a petro type odor to it but it dissipates pretty quickly. And if you're using your G-10 folder a lot you won't even notice it much. Also if you are treating a G-10 handle to put away just leave in the open for a day or so and the odor will go away pretty quick.

I've tried all kinds of products to help clean and rejuvenate G-10 handles but I've yet to try anything that works as good as Ballistol does. Also Ballistol is great on firearms and some fishing equipment. It also tends to waterproof your handles as well. However if any of you have something that works better I'm more than willing to give it a try. It even worked for me in salt water in the Florida Panhandle.

Get the big 16 ounce can and you'll save a bundle. The spray cans are kind of expensive by comparison. I still have about a 1/3rd of a can left that I bought back in 09 and it is still very good. The spray cans can cost you about 4 times as much and they run out quickly. I find a lot of uses for Ballistol around the shop too. I got my first can from SFO.

To me the odor that Ballistol omits isn't any worse than many paints I've worked with. It sure makes G-10 look new.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Sand smooth then skateboard or staircase or bathroom anti slip tape.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

anagarika wrote:Sand smooth then skateboard or staircase or bathroom anti slip tape.
I'm not getting this at all?? Why would you want to destroy the original finish if you can repair it instead?? I've literally had Ballistol heal up scrathes that were noticable and they were like new and you couldn't even tell it had been previously scratched.

One of the great attributes of G-10 is it's grippy texture and the ability to grip it firmly even when wet.

Now if you want to do that to do some type of custom modification to it then I guess that's a completely different story. But I like G-10 just like it came from the factory and I try to keep it that way. Now I wouldn't mind trying some of those tacky repairs you're talking about to enhance the grip of like a stainless handle or some other handle that is slick when new.

I like G-10 and Micarta just the way that they come from the factory.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I guess if Ballistol can bring back the texture, sure go for it. I was under impression that the texture has worn smooth in spots, so a total smoothening is needed to adhere the tapes ...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

anagarika wrote:I guess if Ballistol can bring back the texture, sure go for it. I was under impression that the texture has worn smooth in spots, so a total smoothening is needed to adhere the tapes ...
You're probably right "anagarika".>> because I failed to take into account that we have a lot of brethren that truly abuse the **** out of their folders and fixed blades as well. I've been blessed I guess because most of the G-10 handles I've done for myself or for friends has been in a repairable condition.

I've heard that skateboard tape has great grip properties.

But do try out the Ballistol because I've had great luck with it on G-10 handles. I had a friend who said he used it on a Micarta handle. He said it worked all right except it gave it a wet look and somewhat changed the color.

That's what I like about this Forum> we can exchange and share knowledge and learn things. There are not very many forums where the owners interact with the customers and afficionados. This place is truly unique. I've been here 10 years plus and I've never been bored.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Sometimes G-10 loses it's texture not because it has become worn away, but because the texture of the G-10 has become filled in with dirt, skin cells, oils, etc. This gives the false illusion that the G-10 is now smooth. I have heard people mention they have used a Mr. Clean magic eraser to rejuvenate the G-10. I personally use a small brush to scrub the scale w/ soap & water. I'm not suggesting this is the case with every single knife, just saying only sometimes this happens. Good luck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
BronislovasLTU

Post by BronislovasLTU »

I just clean with soap and used and unneeded tooth brush.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jay_Ev wrote:Sometimes G-10 loses it's texture not because it has become worn away, but because the texture of the G-10 has become filled in with dirt, skin cells, oils, etc. This gives the false illusion that the G-10 is now smooth. I have heard people mention they have used a Mr. Clean magic eraser to rejuvenate the G-10. I personally use a small brush to scrub the scale w/ soap & water. I'm not suggesting this is the case with every single knife, just saying only sometimes this happens. Good luck.
I totally agree with your explanation of why G-10 would wear down to a seemingly slick surface with it's grip being eliminated. I've used Ballistol with a hard bristle toothbrush and it cleans really well. I've yet to try a Mr. Clean eraser on it but that sounds like a good idea and I'm going to give that a try. But I still say that the Ballistol will indeed rejuvenate not only the texture of the scales but will restore the color as well.

I have no doubt that some of the newer, more effective dish washing soaps like Dawn Overnight for instance would indeed do a decent cleaning job. But I've found that a mild solution of TSP (Tri-Sodium Phosphate) cuts through even the most stubborn grease, grime and dirt build ups better than anything I've used up till now. But I will give that Mr. Clean Eraser a try because I've heard a lot of good things about the Mr. Clean Eraser.