Can't seem to find decent cargo shorts (for carrying my Manix 2 G-10) anywhere !?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HorserloverFat

Can't seem to find decent cargo shorts (for carrying my Manix 2 G-10) anywhere !?

Post by HorserloverFat »

Walmart, Target, mall stores such as Eddie Bauer : nothing of quality. The pairs that I have managed to find at these store are just too flimsy and don't seem to hold up well. I guess that is to be expected for made in Bangladesh wares. I apologize for posting this remotely related question, but I am at a loss and I thought that there might be some good recommendations to come from this quarter. You guys probably buy a knife first and then the cargo shorts in order to carry said knife... :D

I'm going to start check surplus stores in the near future...

Thanks.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

This prob should be in the Off Topic subsection.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

HorserloverFat wrote:Walmart, Target, mall stores such as Eddie Bauer : nothing of quality. The pairs that I have managed to find at these store are just too flimsy and don't seem to hold up well. I guess that is to be expected for made in Bangladesh wares. I apologize for posting this remotely related question, but I am at a loss and I thought that there might be some good recommendations to come from this quarter. You guys probably buy a knife first and then the cargo shorts in order to carry said knife... :D

I'm going to start check surplus stores in the near future...

Thanks.
I have never been a fan of cargos. The annoying knocking of a knife (or anything of mass) repeatedly banging into my kneecap is about the worst feeling ever for normal daily chores. I do however like the Carhartt shorts with the cell phone pocket, but that is much more fitted to the desired cargo. If you are looking for cargos (for a good price) Old Navy has some relatively robust canvas cargos for around $20.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've always liked Dickies work shorts. They last forever I have a pair that's almost 20 years old and still going strong. They also come in cargo.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I wear short cargos with seven pockets made by Stoney Creek in NZ
A two year warrantee and I wear then in thorny and rough areas, and the microtouch fabric is excellent...

Cost? around NZ $60-00...

Google "Stoney Creek NZ" and they are called seven pocket shorts...longer versions are available, in olive and camo...
SaintlyBrees

Post by SaintlyBrees »

Check out the cargo shorts from Duluth Trading. Love their products.
My Spydies:
6 Manix 2 [blk/blk S30V, blk/blk XL, blue Sprint, blue LW, S110V LW, S90V CF XL]; 2 Delicas [VG10, Super Blue]; 4 Dragonflies [Tatoo, VG10, ZDP-189/Nishijin, Super Blue]; 4 Natives [S30V, Brn CTS-XHP, G10 S35N, Forum S110V]; 2 Chaparrals [Stepped Ti, CF]; 3 PM2s [blk/blk, blk/red Putnam, GRN CTS-204P sprint]; 1 CF bolt-action Sage; 1 Air; 1 Super Blue Manbug; 1 blk H1/blk frn Pacific Salt; 2 Stretch [Super Blue, ZDP-189]; 2 Enduras [VG10, blue jigged bone Damascus]
tlo14290

Post by tlo14290 »

Evil D wrote:I've always liked Dickies work shorts. They last forever I have a pair that's almost 20 years old and still going strong. They also come in cargo.
Me too. Dickies. Cheap, wear like iron, nice and comfy, easy to find.

Good stuff!
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I like Wrangler cargo shorts. I CCW in em too.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Second for Duluth, spendy but plenty tough (second also for off-topic post, moderator move?). Their fire hose material wears very well. I use the small pocket behind the larger one (larger one has a flap, small pocket is open at the top) and it will hold any folder and some small fixed blades as well. Here in Tucson, it's a bit warm on a job site in summer for these pants.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I want to post so many pictures to this thread, but I think most will find them to be in poor taste, so I'll refrain.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

SaintlyBrees wrote:Check out the cargo shorts from Duluth Trading. Love their products.
+1.

I have several pairs, and their guarantee is great. I can't count the pants and shorts they've refunded me for, no questions asked, after I've worn them to death.

I regularly wear the same Duluth Trading cargo shorts that Noseoil mentioned. And if you consider the fact that I haven't paid for the last 6 new pairs (just the first one), they're amazingly cheap.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Target carries Mossimo cargo pants/shorts. You may not like where they were made but they hold up just fine.

Not sure why you'd want a knife banging around in the cargo pockets but everybody has their thing.
All God's critters have knives.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I know you're a knife addict when you base your pants around your knives
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

See Triple Aught Designs (TAD). They make mil-spec tactical gear...jackets, pants, shorts, etc., which have specially designed pockets reinforced for clipped knives, pockets for magazines, flashlights, batons, etc.. I have a pair of TAD shorts with cargo pockets that function and look great. (and many people asking me where I got them every time I wear it) Each cargo pocket has a large main space, then three magazine pockets within. As a civilian, I find the mag pockets great for clipping a knife, or securing other things that if otherwise carried in the main large part of the cargo pocket would move around too much and bang into my leg. NOTE- some versions have the internal mag pockets, some don't. TAD believes in CQI just like Spyderco.

TAD makes gear for military and civil service professionals; they tend to produce in small batches; and they are expensive. But unique features and quality does come at a price. Often their website will show out of stock, but check back regularly and eventually they will have it. When you do see what you want in stock, don't hesitate to buy because it will likely be sold out within a matter of a day or two or three. Their return policy is excellent so if it doesn't work out just sent it back.

Here's a pic of their grey "Force 10 RS Cargo" from their website. Mine is ME Green. Note the reinforcement for knife clip.
[ATTACH]23596[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23597[/ATTACH]
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

razorsharp wrote:I know you're a knife addict when you base your pants around your knives
I have passed on so many pairs of shorts and jeans because of pocket shape and depth. If I can't clip a Military in the right front pocket, I probably won't buy them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:I have passed on so many pairs of shorts and jeans because of pocket shape and depth. If I can't clip a Military in the right front pocket, I probably won't buy them.
I made this mistake recently. I was carrying the new SPY-DK and went with the wife to buy some things. Saw shorts I liked, tried them on (with IWb holster and gun belt, etc, etc.) but didn't think of the length of my carry blade until I got home. The only bummer is the pen I usually carry will not fit in the RFP (I carry my Military in the RRP anayway) so that is annoying. On a positive note, the waist is the perfect size now. Too many months of squeezing my holster into my old pant size is really uncomfortable.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Evil D wrote:I've always liked Dickies work shorts. They last forever I have a pair that's almost 20 years old and still going strong. They also come in cargo.
Thanks again, EvilD.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

tvenuto wrote:I want to post so many pictures to this thread, but I think most will find them to be in poor taste, so I'll refrain.
Would they happen to be of ladies in cargo shorts? Then by all means go ahead!
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

zhyla wrote:Target carries Mossimo cargo pants/shorts. You may not like where they were made but they hold up just fine.

Not sure why you'd want a knife banging around in the cargo pockets but everybody has their thing.
I bought a pair of Merona chino shorts (sans cargo pockets) from Target : http://www.target.com/p/merona-men-s-ch ... medium_1_6
Not bad @ $10.79...
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Mako109 wrote:See Triple Aught Designs (TAD). They make mil-spec tactical gear...jackets, pants, shorts, etc., which have specially designed pockets reinforced for clipped knives, pockets for magazines, flashlights, batons, etc.. I have a pair of TAD shorts with cargo pockets that function and look great. (and many people asking me where I got them every time I wear it) Each cargo pocket has a large main space, then three magazine pockets within. As a civilian, I find the mag pockets great for clipping a knife, or securing other things that if otherwise carried in the main large part of the cargo pocket would move around too much and bang into my leg. NOTE- some versions have the internal mag pockets, some don't. TAD believes in CQI just like Spyderco.

TAD makes gear for military and civil service professionals; they tend to produce in small batches; and they are expensive. But unique features and quality does come at a price. Often their website will show out of stock, but check back regularly and eventually they will have it. When you do see what you want in stock, don't hesitate to buy because it will likely be sold out within a matter of a day or two or three. Their return policy is excellent so if it doesn't work out just sent it back.

Here's a pic of their grey "Force 10 RS Cargo" from their website. Mine is ME Green. Note the reinforcement for knife clip.
[ATTACH]23596[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23597[/ATTACH]
Thank you very much. I appreciate the recommendation. I'm also going to check surplus stores...