Mini Southard

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

A mini Spyderco Southard as in mini AWT Southard would be great(a 2.9-3 inch blade)
Editor Emeritus

Post by Editor Emeritus »

how big is it closed now?
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I gotta have one.
You inspired me to do one similar.
Thanks!
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

elena86 wrote:A mini Spyderco Southard as in mini AWT Southard would be great(a 2.9-3 inch blade)
I agree elena86, Brad Southard and Spyderco AWT to get together and do just that! :D
Editor Emeritus wrote:how big is it closed now?
Hey Editor, it is 10cm or 3.94 inches closed. Cutting edge appears to be about 72mm or 2.83 inches
gull wing wrote:I gotta have one.
You inspired me to do one similar.
Thanks!
Can you do that yourself gull wing?
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Yes, veloweave, I can. It would be less elegant.
I have skills, but no artistic talent. :D
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Editor Emeritus

Post by Editor Emeritus »

what a great project. beautiful fit and finish... huzzah
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

My new light and saber combo. Just acquired the light and pairs up great with Mini Southard.

Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Wow, that is great! I would love that so I would be able to carry mine (3 inches or below). :D
Holland

Post by Holland »

Scorpion wrote:How much did that all cost? This looks amazing but I think most people would have found it way out of their price range.
I would also love to know how much it set you back. Looks amazingly done tho!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Very nice! That's pure talent. Happy for ya.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

That is incredibly nice, VeloWeave! I don't know how I missed this until now. I am certain I would buy one just like yours if it went into production. The original Southard was kind of "meh" for me, unfortunately.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

Cant wait for mine should be here in a few weeks.
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

sir_mike wrote:Wow, that is great! I would love that so I would be able to carry mine (3 inches or below). :D
sir_mike, mine sat on my dresser for over a year just looking pretty and got carried very little. Couldn't bring myself to sell it because it is such a good knife but it was just a bit too long for my liking. The modification got it down to sub 3" and it's in my pocket about 5-6 days a week now. I never thought I'd find anything that would bump small sebenza down to second place.
Holland wrote:I would also love to know how much it set you back. Looks amazingly done tho!
I don't know what the going rate is currently but figure to spend about what you spent on the knife or maybe a bit less. I had a couple of pretty incredible offers for mine already, but I'm not selling unless or until I can find my custom grail (for now the Tom Krein Alpha holds that spot). But I'm not willing to pay much more than table price for one so until that time I'll be perfectly happy with my Mini Southard.
MacLaren wrote:Very nice! That's pure talent. Happy for ya.
Thanks man, I'm very satisfied with it. The talent is all BowerBladeWorks though.
SpyderNut wrote:That is incredibly nice, VeloWeave! I don't know how I missed this until now. I am certain I would buy one just like yours if it went into production. The original Southard was kind of "meh" for me, unfortunately.
I know exactly what you're saying SpyderNut. The new scales really class it up and give it a comfortable grip in the hand, not to mention the pointy ended clip is now gone (some folks here will appreciate that). I can take this thing anywhere and it wouldn't be out of place.
Kylems11 wrote:Cant wait for mine should be here in a few weeks.
Awesome Kylems11! Tell us what materials you're going with, please? I waited about 4 months on mine. It was a busy season of life for Kevin at the time.
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

An updated picture of Mini Southard with my new Prometheus Alpha pen with a MB Fineliner cartridge.

sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

VeloWeave wrote:sir_mike, mine sat on my dresser for over a year just looking pretty and got carried very little. Couldn't bring myself to sell it because it is such a good knife but it was just a bit too long for my liking. The modification got it down to sub 3" and it's in my pocket about 5-6 days a week now. I never thought I'd find anything that would bump small sebenza down to second place.
If I was to get one done, I would want to keep the satin blade and brown scales. I see one done that way and lkke the looks! Just gotta find someone to do that to mine so I can carry it! :)
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

Im just getting plain black g10. Im a plain black handle kind of guy. Hes going to be doing his acid stonewash with the rounded and poloshed spine. Ill post pics when i get it, hopefully 2-3 weeks. He also has a para2 of mine he is making miniture. But unfortunately that wont be here for months.
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
markg

Post by markg »

Looks great. However for me, the Southard is on the small side to begin and I would want to make it larger. :)
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

sir_mike wrote:If I was to get one done, I would want to keep the satin blade and brown scales. I see one done that way and lkke the looks! Just gotta find someone to do that to mine so I can carry it! :)
That would look good too.
Kylems11 wrote:Im just getting plain black g10. Im a plain black handle kind of guy. Hes going to be doing his acid stonewash with the rounded and poloshed spine. Ill post pics when i get it, hopefully 2-3 weeks. He also has a para2 of mine he is making miniture. But unfortunately that wont be here for months.
Definitely post some picks in this thread once you get yours done. I would love to see it and the acid stonewash will make it look almost all blacked out.
markg wrote:Looks great. However for me, the Southard is on the small side to begin and I would want to make it larger. :)
Yeah I know some folks where 3.5" blade is considered a small knife.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

VeloWeave wrote:Honey, I shrunk my Southard. What I have here is a Spyderco Southard which I sent to Bower Bladeworks. I have to start out by saying he did a phenomenal job. Without affecting the amazing fit & finish that comes out of Spyderco's Taichung plant he was able to make the knife into something that I would carry on a daily basis. I loved the original Southard but for me if the blade length comes in over 3 inches it just sits on the dresser looking pretty. I didn't want to sell my Southard and I really wanted to carry it more often, so when I saw Kevin showing off this mod that he did to his own Southard I contacted him to see if he would do one for me. I now carry this knife daily, it's right up there with my Small Sebenza Insingo and the cutting edge is just about the same size.

The Mod was done by shortening the back end of the knife, contouring the pocket clip to match the rear and getting rid of that pointy end on the front of the clip that bothers some folks. Then the blade was shortened and recountoured by removing the hump on top, giving it a slight concave swoop that falls off at the end sort of like a modified sheepsfoot. The blade spine was rounded and polished and finished with an acid stonewash (clip is also acid stonewashed). The show side scale and over travel is Silver Lightning Strike Carbon Fiber. The back is the original titanium which has been rounded off a bit, or CC'd, and then Blue Anodized.

The bottom two pics are for size reference with my Prometheus Lights Beta-QR flashlight. Enjoy! It's Awesome!

Nice!

I have a Copper Beta-QR and a few Peak Eigers. That Beta is a really nice light.
PM2(Camo/Satin) Military (Safety Orange, Camo), Endura (Wave, ZDP-189, Super Blue), Gayle Bradley, Techno, Pacific Salt PE, Tasman Salt SE, Harpy, Manbug ZDP-189, Dragonfly Aus 8, Ladybug (Red with CE...1990ish), Cricket SE, Civilian.
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

Screwdriver wrote:Nice!

I have a Copper Beta-QR and a few Peak Eigers. That Beta is a really nice light.
Yeah I have the Beta-QR in EN coated as well along with his Alpha Pen, they go great together, look like siblings. One of my favorite lights is the Peak Eiger AAA all dressed out with momentary and Prometheus Titanium Clip. They are awesome lights!