I hate lowrider clips......but

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fred Sanford

I hate lowrider clips......but

Post by Fred Sanford »

...this one from Casey is really growing on me. I challenged myself to use it for a week with this clip. Now I don't want to take it off. The dude just makes amazing clips and they are so functional. I have zero trouble getting this out of my pocket, which is the main reason that I usually don't like lowrider clips.

Anyway, my thoughts are changing on them depending on who makes them and what knife I put them on.

I know many others on this forum have the same clips and love 'em. Feel free to chime in with comments/photos.

"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have not tried his new longer clips yet, but I have a few from the original batches. They are a terrific addition to the FRN Spydies IMO.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

It's hard to tell from the pictures but it sure looks like those clips stick out quite a bit from the g10. Can someone provide a profile shot?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Liquid Cobra wrote:It's hard to tell from the pictures but it sure looks like those clips stick out quite a bit from the g10. Can someone provide a profile shot?
Some different angles to help you out.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I like the concept of lowrider clips but in reality they don't work well for me. I have a couple of knives that came stock with them, the way I carry my knives is that I have tight jeans and I draw the knife by pinching the protruding end of the knife between my thumb and first finger. With a lowrider clip I am pinching the clip and that just makes the knife tighter in my pocket.

I realize that other people carry differently and draw their knives differently so this isn't an issue for them. I've read that the Manix 2 XL has a lot of knife sticking out of the pocket, I don't think this will bother me a bit.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I love Casey's lowrider clips! I have 7 of the short stonewashed natural ti without the logo. The hole in the clip echo's the hole in the blade, so it fits the looks of many Spyderco's nicely IMO.

They are wide at the top bend, so they are very sturdy. There is no annoying side-to-side wiggle (compared to other narrower low rider clips have used). The natural stonewashed ti is also a very discreet colour, especially with jeans or chinos.

I strongly prefer being discreet for office carry, so I vastly prefer them to the standard shiny ss clips.

Standard vs Casey low rider:

Same knives clipped

Native 5 vs Caly 3 vs Sage 2:
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

Casey Lynch is a stand up guy! On the Manix 2 XL there still will be a fair amount of handle sticking out of your pocket, but it is lower. One other thing to be aware of is compared to the original clip, because your pocket fabric will be going over the screw heads, there will be additional wear added to your pants fairly quickly I have found. Also the clip blocks some of the lanyard hole on this model. Still, a very nice clip.
hom76

Post by hom76 »

Yes, love it.

NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I use both Casey's and Steve's clips (STR). Both are great, the advantage of Steve's is he can custom make them to your knife and way of carrying (tip up/down). Casey's are cheaper and use 3 and not 2 screws like Steve's
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I really like the look of the plain ti Casey I may have to add one to my new para
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I modified one of casey's clips to fit my southard and I love it.

APS

Post by APS »

I like them as well particularly that the end isn't turned up which always seems to dig my hand in the wrong place.
Adam
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

senorsquare wrote:I modified one of casey's clips to fit my southard and I love it.

Very nice indeed :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

Looks awesome! Where do I get one?!
Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

ViperGTS wrote:Looks awesome! Where do I get one?!
Casey can be reached at: thelastleaf1@gmail.com
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

Thanks Ray!
nccole

Post by nccole »

I love Casey's clips. I am probably one of his biggest customers. His clips and service are great. The only bad thing is he cannot make enough to keep up with my Spyderco purchases. I need to get two blue long ones for the SB's I have.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I never understood why people have difficulty getting them out of your pocket. I guess not everyone sticks their thumb IN their pocket when they pull their knife out? For me it's nearly the exact same action, I just stick my thumb in my pocket further with a deep carry clip. It does help if the off side handle scale is textured a bit so you get some thumb traction.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'll take a Spyderco clip anytime. Their knives look wonky with custom ones. A clip is a clip. Cops know what they're attached to, so I don't see the point of an extreme lowrider. I do have an old Kershaw Wild Turkey that is way too high. It's ridiculous, but Sal does 'em just right.
- best wishes, Jazz.
nccole

Post by nccole »

Evil D wrote:I never understood why people have difficulty getting them out of your pocket. I guess not everyone sticks their thumb IN their pocket when they pull their knife out? For me it's nearly the exact same action, I just stick my thumb in my pocket further with a deep carry clip. It does help if the off side handle scale is textured a bit so you get some thumb traction.
Exactly!