Can not decide, keep going back and forth.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
akapennypincher

Can not decide, keep going back and forth.

Post by akapennypincher »

Para-Military II, or Manix2, why one over the other?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Allow me to be the first to say both, because someone certainly will. I'm currently on a PM2 kick, so it gets my vote. But I couldn't have one over the other. I need both.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Flip a quarter, they're both great. I prefer the paramilitary for the compression lock.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

It really depends on what you like. The Para 2 is a little lighter, I like the fact that the Manix 2 is heavier it feels really solid to me and it is well proportioned and balanced in the hand. Both locks are great, both deploy really quickly, now they are both FFG. Handles are great on both but the Manix 2 fits my hand better.

The good news is you can't go wrong either way. You won't likely hate either one of them and if you do, you will be able to sell it to someone else for a loss no greater than a couple of trips to Starbucks.

Here a couple of comparison shots.

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

swigert wrote:Really your lock preferences should make this decision I'd say.
^ this. Aside from that though, the pm2 rides better/smaller in the pocket. I also greatly prefer the ergos of the pm2 but that's subjective and opinions will vary.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I'd say go for the PM2 first if you can find one because they're harder to find (Don't go through eBay...buy from a respectable dealer because some of the fakes are becoming VERY close to the original)...you may even make a profit selling the PM2 simply because some people will pay a premium to get one rather than waiting for dealers to have them back in stock. They're both great though, and if you prefer lightness in a knife you should also look at the M2 lightweight as that's now available in CPM S110V. You won't find a better steel in any knife at the same price point.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Allow me to be the first to say both, because someone certainly will. I'm currently on a PM2 kick, so it gets my vote. But I couldn't have one over the other. I need both.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. They are both amazing, and I'd be hard pressed to make a decision if I ever had to get rid of one of them. I carry a Manix2 more often, but only because the lightweight Manix2 makes such an excellent EDC blade. On the weekends, it's often a very tough call between the G-10 Manix2 and the PM2.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
timlara

Post by timlara »

I agree with what others have said regarding the locks being the biggest "make it or break it" feature between the two models. I prefer the compression lock for usability, but they are both strong and reliable. If you happen to be left handed, then the Manix is probably a better choice since the lock is ambi.

Also, I assume you're considering the G-10 version of the Manix, not the lightweight. I actually like the new lightweight FRN/S110v Manix2 so much that it would be a very hard choice between it and the PM2 for me...the light weight and significant steel upgrade for the price dealers are asking for the new LW Manix really hard to beat.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

swigert wrote:Really your lock preferences should make this decision I'd say.
+1

The locks are really very different. Ideally you should try them.
"Rules are for the adherence of fools, and the guidance of wise men". Except in a pandemic....
Military Kapara, Brouwer, UKPK (GIN1 CE, HH g10 & s110v), Delica IV SG, Caly 3 SE, Kiwi4, Lil Matriarch, Endura SG & SEW, Dragonfly Hap40, Manbug ZDP189 & SB, Ladybug 2, Vtoku & HB, Stretch HAP40, Squeak, Squeak Ti, Chicago440C, Ikuchi, Byrd Tern, Watu, Chaparral Stealth Ti, Manix XL & Rex45 G10, Shaman ZCarta, Wolfspyder, NC cf, N5 M4,
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Get a Para2 in 20CP or 204P(M390) and be happy....you'll have anything you need or want in a knife.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Pm2 :d
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's much more than lock preference IMO. Though similar they have very different ergonomics and this more than anything has made the choice for me. Both have 50/50 choils, and both can be gripped behind the choil, but the Manix is roomier behind the choil and fits my hand better. On the Para my pinky is always on that point at the end of the handle. It's a small issue, but with knives that are so similar you have to look for small issues to help you decide. Also the Manix is closer to a wharnie shape which I prefer, yet has some belly to make it more versatile. It may be called a leaf shape but it performs much like my Yo 2. The handle on the Manix is also taller and fills my hand better.

As for lock vs lock, I'm torn. I do ultimately prefer the compression lock, but I have plenty arguments against it and for the CBBL. Mainly the CBBL is ambidextrous, and while I have no problem operating the CL with my off hand, it takes more thought than the CBBL. I also feel that the CBBL contributes to one of the smoothest opening knives available because of the lack of a detent ball pressing against the side of the blade. I've also had little to no pivot play issues with CBBL knives and I can't say the same for CL knives.

So for now at least the Manix gets the win.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Both are fantastic, but I carry a PM (both 1 and 2) more. All the extra jimping on the manix is a turn off if I am not wearing gloves and I rarely wear gloves.

Aside from this it really is a toss up.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

It's close, but I like the PM2 better.

PM2 G10 is lighter than the Manix G10
Pointier tip for piercing
I prefer FFG over saber grind
I slightly prefer the compression lock over the CBBL
It's not as wide in pocket as the Manix when closed
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

+1 for both, though which variation of the Manix 2 are you looking at? I got the new S110V FRN and I'm pretty impressed. Though I prefer G10, the light weight really wins me over, as do the FFG, the color blue, and the super steel. Not sure I'd be interested in another version, in which case my vote goes to the PM2 in any flavor. Though if it's PM2 vs Manix 2 S110V, then my vote goes to whichever you can get in your hand faster.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

DRKBC wrote:It really depends on what you like. The Para 2 is a little lighter, I like the fact that the Manix 2 is heavier it feels really solid to me and it is well proportioned and balanced in the hand. Both locks are great, both deploy really quickly, now they are both FFG. Handles are great on both

The good news is you can't go wrong either way. You won't likely hate either one of them and if you do, you will be able to sell it to someone else
I have both and I agree with this. I think the Para2 being lighter and slimmer makes it a better EDC for most people. If you work construction or something like that then you might like the Manix 2 more. I don't have any preference of one lock vs. the other.
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I have never handled a manix and since I prefer tip down carry the para it is. Though I think a waved manix xl would be all kinds of awesomeness if ever produced.
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I couldn't stand the raised jimping on the Manix 2. Those steel nubs felt very uncomfortable, IMO. The Para 2 felt very good in hand, however, and I would definitely recommend it over the former.
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

PM2, not a big fan of the huge belly on the Manix 2 blade, and love the compression lock.
Manbug G-10, Salt I PE, Pacific Salt SE, Caly 3.5, Green Forum Native 5, Green ParaMilitary 2, Centofante 3
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Shakyamuni wrote:PM2, not a big fan of the huge belly on the Manix 2 blade, and love the compression lock.
Maybe we understand belly differently because I would see the Para as having much more belly than the Manix. The Manix is up there with the Delica for almost being a wharnie.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David