Stretch Brown G-10 ZDP test model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

On topic - I like brown G10. I like some of the other colors more, but black isn't one of them. I don't like CF, in any incarnation.

Off topic - I'm on the fence about the choil. The Stretch doesn't fit my hand as well as the Centofante, which has my favorite Spyderco handle. With the Stretch, my hand feels too far back on the handle and my forefinger really wants to be closer to the blade. But I don't much like the grip when I move my finger onto the choil. That doesn't really matter to me in practice, because I don't use that grip anyway on knives with blades that long or longer. If I'm doing fine work with the tip, I choke all the way up with my forefinger on the spine and either my thumb(sometimes) or my second finger(usually) in the hole ...

Also off topic - I love the blade shape. It's elegant and functional.

Gordon
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sal wrote:Hi Roman,

I guess I mostly like the edge retention.

But I must admit that when I use an exotic steel, I also think about the effort that it took to create such a steel, the people behind the effort, the chemsitry in action and the appreciation for the steel's ability to hang on to that wisp of an edge, just a few molecules thick, despite the cutting I do (mostly mail, food [on plates and cutting boarads] and cardboard indoors, wood and line outdoors).

sal
Thank you sir.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:Assuming that, by buffed, you mean the semi matte look like the Caly 3, then CF isn't really all that exciting. It ups the cost and I'd probably end up replacing it. Crazy as it may sound coming from me, I'd rather see another color of G-10, evem black, with a VG-10 blade. Keeps the cost down and is no harder to replace than CF.
True, this is funny. You found something, which you like less than G10.
I will take g10 over buffed CF any day. But recently I started to like Peel-ply CF.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

sal wrote:i'll see if i can convince my staff to double up on the order and make a carbon fiber (buffed regular cf). Anybody else interested in a buffed cf version?
shut up and take my money!
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

sal wrote:Hey Stuart,

The problem was in trying to machine the pockets for nested liners.

sal
Might be a fun material to use then on a fixed blade, sprint of current model or one of the new models coming to market soon.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I feel privileged to have a chance at getting a copy of this new Stretch model-change prototype and will be happy to have slab scales made of anything that happens to be handy. It's just to be a limited number sprint, by the way, and other scale materials will probably be available in the future.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Pretty excited about this one, the Stretch and all members of the Calypso/Caly-family are among my favorite models.
Not too excited about buffed CF or brown G-10.
ZDP-189 is fine, but how about the first Japanese Spyderco with the G-10/CF laminate of the Chaparral/Navaja/Bradley?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I'm excited to hear about the change to the Stretch. I love the Caly design (as is known among these parts, :p ) and I've wanted to acquire a Stretch for some time now. When I found out that Sal was thinking about adding the Caly choil to the design, I decided to bide my time. I'm glad my willpower seems to be paying off.

I'm with Paul, however. I'd much rather see G10 and VG10 than buffed CF and ZDP. Since it seems that Sal is pretty set on ZDP, then it looks like I may have a new steel to try out. Still, if we are going to stick to CF, I agree with Roman, I would like to see peel-ply. I'd like the knife to be a bit more utilitarian than decorative.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Like always, ideas and preferences are a dime a dozen. Looks like the brown G10 and the buffed CF in ZDP is pretty much a lock. Who knows though what they will go with after those besides the FRN version which I bet will have multiple colors...

For the first two, I anticipate thoroughly enjoying the new Stretch in buffed CF and I will most likely have OD green canvas micarta scales placed on the brown G10 version. Would love to see dark blue, foliage green, and moonglow among other G10's down the road as well as canvas micarta.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
sal

Post by sal »

MarcusH wrote: ZDP-189 is fine, but how about the first Japanese Spyderco with the G-10/CF laminate of the Chaparral/Navaja/Bradley?
The material available to some countries is not necessarily available to others.

Really, nothing is in stone. I'm testing the prototype now. I need to test the change. The prototype is made with brown peel-ply G-10.

sal
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

If Sal can assure me this new zdp stretch shouldn't face a lock issue like my zdp endura, I say zdp is really the wait to go. VG10 is not keeping a polished edge like I want and I find it uninteresting at most.

My guess is that it will be awesome, cf or g10.
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Laethageal,

I'm going to chase down your last "problem child" and send you a new one to test for me.

Mating lock materials to blade materials is quite challenging with the steels that we use. For example, the high vanadium content is some of our steels will wear out basic lock materials. We had to find special materials and particular hardnesses. We've not had a problem with ZDP until yours. I need to make sure that your individual case had a lock with a proper heat treatment before chasing other lock materials.

sal
Mr_Moe

Post by Mr_Moe »

Brown is a most excellent color, so I am looking forward to getting my first Stretch.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Sal - I love the Stretch and have several - and I'm looking forward to the design changes.

G10 is tough as nails, but one thing I don't like about G10 is its weight. I find that I carry G10 knives less often than their FRN (or modded wooden!) counterparts.

Question for you about Micarta (and phenolic laminates in general): I know you largely abandoned Micarta on folders a few years ago due to production and QC issues. I've got an original Goddard Jr. that has warped, so I understand your concerns. But do more modern screwed construction with steel liners make this less of an issue? Will we ever see linen or canvas Micarta scales on Spyderco folders again?

Tedp
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ted,

We found that micarta folders made in the Orient and then sit in dry Colorado will shrink. Enough so that Linerlocks with no liner on the front side can stop engaging. We found that when we used full liners on both sides, we can manage the shrinkage better. On a knife like the Stretch, which is wider and will handle some tough chores, I feel better with a more stable material. I'm still open, but the plan was slab G-10 for the test and then convert the molds for an FRN version.

sal
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Hey Sal, that is awesome! Having YOU telling me that's an unusual trouble with zdp since you match the metal makes me really happy and confident about buying more once I need it. Please don't cancel the super blue order I have made as this is a steel I haven't tried yet and want to see in my collection.

Thank you again for this nice gesture and for all the work you put into this. The last few days I saw an burst of rrply from you everywhere. The time you spend reading what we have to say is impressive.
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
sal

Post by sal »

I think you will enjoy the SuperBlue. Hitachi makes some awesome steels. We're fortunate to be able to "play" with them.

I try to stay on top our what our customers say. Sometimes when I'm traveling, like last week, I get behind.

sal

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The entire "business chain" from; raw materials, invention, design, manufacturing, marketing, selling, distributing, shipping, warrantees, insurance, credit, etc. ALL EXISTS to service the ELU (End Line User). Remove the ELU from the equation and the entire business chain falls like a house of cards. We all work for you!
sal

Post by sal »

Anybody have a list of all of the hunter, pro-hunter, pro-venator and stretch models we've produced? With years? It's an interesting history. If I can get a list, maybe pics, might make an interesting poster?

Hunter SS
Pro-Venator with Kraton inserts
Stainless Pro-Venator with wide blade
???

sal
spinynorman

Post by spinynorman »

sal wrote:On this model, I will be keeping the same drop point blade shape. I'm not sure there is good reason to change it. The current blade shape works well.

sal
The Stretch in the original stainless/kraton configuration is my current EDC, and I love the blade shape! It'll do for most any task, while passing for a civilized gentleman's folder. Glad to hear that the design of the choil is getting tweaked, because I never thought it was deep enough. I even modified another stainless Stretch to deepen the choil... I like the idea of brown G10, any G10 is OK by me, and I'll buy one for sure. Thanks! Doug
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:Anybody have a list of all of the hunter, pro-hunter, pro-venator and stretch models we've produced? With years? It's an interesting history. If I can get a list, maybe pics, might make an interesting poster?

Hunter SS
Pro-Venator with Kraton inserts
Stainless Pro-Venator with wide blade
???

sal
I can't help with a list, but those knives had some of the best handle designs I've ever handled. I'm sure you have your reasons, but I really wish you had stuck with the curved/smooth grip style like those knives had and used them on the Delica and Endura.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David