Stretch Brown G-10 ZDP test model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Stretch Brown G-10 ZDP test model

Post by sal »

Hi ManixFan,

Thanx for sharing our thoughts. We appreciate the time and effort. (from the ZDP thread)

I decided to start another thread on the Stretch so as not to hijack the ZDP thread any more. Apologies.

I designed the Stretch for me. That's why we're extending the time and cost to CQI the finger choil. The mod on the finger choil is the same as the Caly, though the Stretch is a much wider model. I'm enjoying the mod on the prototype. It's a very refined dcesign, in my opinion, and will improve the FRN version.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of brown, but It's ok and we do need variety. I use brown canvas micarta on my Temperance design. More for grip than appearance. I am a fan of ZDP. If the Stretch in the G-10 format is well received, I have no problem making variations. We won't be using black Nishijin until we use up the ton of blue that we made. I'll see if I can convince my staff to double up on the order and make a carbon fiber (buffed regular CF). Anybody else interested in a buffed CF version?

sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Yes! Thank you Sal, I am interested on basically any and all versions you come up with :) .

Now that we've got you cornered: what's happening with the CF S110V Native 5? Many of us are dying to know! Thank you, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I am up for a brown G10 version or CF I like the ergos on the stretch and the shape of the blade.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Buffed CF sounds great to me! I would definitely buy one.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm holding a Stretch and Caly 3 right now comparing the choils, and the curve/depth of both is about the same but the length on the Caly is a good bit more. That's the only thing I can come up with that makes the difference. Holding both, the Caly definitely feels more secure in my hand, even despite being shorter in height and filling my hand less than the Stretch. Also the back half of the choil (the handle half) is more pronounced on the Caly, giving a sort of "trigger" feeling that I don't get with the Stretch. On the Stretch, I feel like my finger is simply rested on that area of the handle/blade, while on the Caly it feels more locked in place. When I grip the Caly, my index finger has a more "trigger pulling" feeling, which is probably why I never get the impression that my finger may slip off and into the blade like I get on the Stetch. With the Caly my finger naturally pulls back on the choil, while on the Stretch it's just sort of "there".

Either way I'm just as excited to see another G10 Stetch as anything else. I'm a bit behind on this subject...is the spine also changing to a straight spine with this knife or is it keeping the same shape?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

I would love to see the buffed CF. Much more excited about that than a brown G10.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I'm also curious to see Sal's refinement of the Stretch ergonomics. That is more personally compelling than new handle colors/materials.
TSchloz

Post by TSchloz »

The buffed CF would be great, but I think I would like the brown G-10 as well.

Tom
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Personally, anything would be better than what the Stretch has currently. G10, Carbon Fiber would be fine. I haven't bought a Stretch Super Blue because I just cannot like that handle. But, that's just me. I imagine the current handle is part of the reason the Stretch is so cost friendly. And that's cool.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Sal, some feedback.

I really, really like your G10 lockbacks (Delica, Native 5, Caly3 and Caly3.5).

I really, really like the muted G10 colors (coyote brown, foliage green, earth brown, forest green).

I like ZDP-189 well enough.

I've never owned a Stretch, but if you release the knife you're describing I will buy at least one. :spyder:
hawkeye180

Post by hawkeye180 »

I will buy a Stretch with G-10 scales. I am about to buy a stretch with FRN scales. I do like brown, or grey, or olive green scales. But I am open to lots of stuff.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I may get this knife :D , just because it's brown.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Yes! Thank you Sal, I am interested on basically any and all versions you come up with :) .

Now that we've got you cornered: what's happening with the CF S110V Native 5? Many of us are dying to know! Thank you, Radioactive :)
+1
Thank you, Roman
sal wrote: I use brown canvas micarta on my Temperance design. More for grip than appearance.
sal
Sal,
I actually love the brown canvas micarta appearance.
Back to stretch. Is any chance to make it with straight spine, how it was discussed few times?
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
timlara

Post by timlara »

Does "buffed" CF mean that it's smooth/shiny? If so, I think I'd prefer the brown G10 out of those two choices, simply because I'm not a fan of smooth handles. I am definitely a fan of ZDP, though, so if I miss out on the sprint, I will be happy to wait for the improved FRN version, as I actually love the light weight and awesome grip of the FRN handles.

Bottom line, the Stretch is a perennial all-time top 3 favorite for me, so I am pretty much powerless to resist any upgrades! :D
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I can't say I'm a big fan of brown either but I do prefer it to black. The brown canvas micarta on the Temp 2 is very nice and the Southard has grown on me. I have a CF ZDP Stretch and would rather have one in G-10 which to me has every advantage save for weight.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I love the Stretch. The ZDP-189 model is one of my favorites to carry. I think the peel ply CF stretch is one of the best Spydies ever made and I would welcome a buffed CF version as well. Great knife.

Thanks Sal.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
v8r

Post by v8r »

Sal would it be possible to see the prototype you are carrying? I prefer any color g10 other than black. Maybe some Dark green G10 might be in order since a lot of the older ZDP knives were BRG right?
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
sal

Post by sal »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote: Now that we've got you cornered: what's happening with the CF S110V Native 5? Many of us are dying to know! Thank you, Radioactive :)
It's in production, but we can only make a limited number each month due to other model demands. We have to have a minium number before we can begin shipping (collectors, Premiers).

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Assuming that, by buffed, you mean the semi matte look like the Caly 3, then CF isn't really all that exciting. It ups the cost and I'd probably end up replacing it. Crazy as it may sound coming from me, I'd rather see another color of G-10, evem black, with a VG-10 blade. Keeps the cost down and is no harder to replace than CF.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Evil D wrote: I'm a bit behind on this subject...is the spine also changing to a straight spine with this knife or is it keeping the same shape?
On this model, I will be keeping the same drop point blade shape. I'm not sure there is good reason to change it. The current blade shape works well.

sal