Stretch Brown G-10 ZDP test model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

sal wrote:It's in production, but we can only make a limited number each month due to other model demands. We have to have a minium number before we can begin shipping (collectors, Premiers).

sal
Thank you very much Sal, I and I'm sure many others here appreciate the update. Assuming the pics on eBay were of a legitimate representative of the model, it is absolutely beautiful. If you need testers, please count on me ;) !

You have my foliage green Urban slipit being repaired there in Golden, you can save some postage by slipping a CF Native 5 in the return box!

Cheers, Radioactive, member of the diehard N5 club.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Sal,

I know you're a fan of CF already (me too!) and I can already imagine the angst :eek: of some staff in the next production meeting when you present another SKU for consideration! :D

I'm good for the brown and a buffed CF model so I'll commit to buy either or both if they are manufactured. ZDP-189 is a great steel for me too.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

sal wrote:It's in production, but we can only make a limited number each month due to other model demands. We have to have a minium number before we can begin shipping (collectors, Premiers).

sal
Fair to say, then, Sal, that the S110V Native5 is a production knife, just a slow one, and not a sprint, as was reported in another thread?

ETA: Should have read the other thread. I see you have shed light on the matter.

Your latest Stretch improvements, especially with the drop point retained, have my interest. And while I have come to respect and admire the bi-directional FRN, I still like G-10. Brown is OK by me, but buffed CF intrigues me, too. If the ZDP is not cladded, I'm in for sure. Otherwise, I'll need to twist my arm...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
AJBest

Post by AJBest »

Hi Sal, I would be interested in the CF versio . Brown G10 also would look nice to me.
sal

Post by sal »

wrdwrght wrote:Fair to say, then, Sal, that the S110V Native5 is a production knife, just a slow one, and not a sprint, as was reported in another thread?

ETA: Should have read the other thread. I see you have she'd light on the matter.

Your latest Stretch improvements, especially with the drop point retained, have my interest. And while I have come to respect and admire the bi-directional FRN, I still like G-10. Brown is OK by me, but buffed CF intrigues me, too. If the ZDP is not cladded, I'm in for sure. Otherwise, I'll need to twist my arm...
I can't say whether or not it will be production or sprint. I guess we'll make that decision soon. Last time we have a meeting on it, management was divided. The ZDP is solid, not cladded.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi AJBest,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Hi Sal,

I know that it isn't set in stone but thank you so much for even considering another slabbed variation. I would buy two ZDP CF versions of the new Stretch. One to use and one to keep as a collectors......or pre-need replacement as I've read on someone's sig line (can't remember who's ......but a very valid sentiment :) )

I'm not sure what buffed CF is? The stuff on my CF Manix 2 XL S90V is pretty nice but it looks a little different than the original CF Stretch scales. Then the woven CF scales are, as I understand it, just a CF facing on an otherwise G10 underscale like on the original and sprint Domino. This stuff is nice too and also not as rough as the CF Manix 2 XL facing - I just didn't dig the Cosby sweater look of the original Domino though.

I also probably would never have bought a Domino either if the blue weave version hadn't appeared - which would have been my loss. But now that I have it and know what it's like, I would have bought the original Domino and traded out the scales for custom scales if no other version was available. I'm glad that the blue weave CF version did exist though because it drew me into the purchase and now I know what an awesome knife the Domino is...... definitely a favourite of mine along with the Stretch.

If the buffed stuff is the same as the Caly CF or the Gayle Bradley (which I don't have but have handled at a store) then it probably ranks a little lower for me.... but that might just be because I haven't had it in hand to use like the others. I might just in the long run appreciate the more smooth scales with regards to wear on my pocket. I also don't know if regular CF can be dyed away from the gray colour it usually comes in (Caly & Gayle Bradley) but a nice darker (non-smurf) blue CF would be awesome too - in any variation of CF.

I am also quite enjoying my Super Blue Stretch so if a Super Blue slabbed version appeared I would probably snap one up as well. I'm not sure if I would have wanted a solid Super Blue blade but the colour difference just along the bottom of the blade on the current Super Blue Stretch sure is cool looking. I've heard though that some people don't like the softer steel that it is sandwiched between but I personally haven't used that particular knife long enough or on hard enough materials to find out if it scratches up very much. But then again, you also can't go wrong with ZDP.....a very nice steel in my opinion.

Thanks again for listening to your customers and fans of Spyderco knives.

You've made Homer very happy!

[ATTACH]23566[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Happy Homer 2.jpg
nccole

Post by nccole »

I am leaning towards the brown G10. I just grabbed a CF Stretch and love it. The smooth CF (like the Caly 3, 3.5) is not my favorite, and I think G10 would be better. Gives me some more variety, which justifies buying another knife more, esp. since the other ZDP bladed Stretch I have is CF. I am more interested in this model more to say I have one, and saw the CQI of one of my favorite Spyderco models. Thanks for sharing the info, sounds like we should be seeing these soon.

Any estimate on how many total?
stevekolt

Post by stevekolt »

Sal,
In all honesty I will probably grab one of each... :o :D
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection In The Home
GOA Lifetime Member
Knife Rights Charter Member
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Sal,

I am very excited about the choil change (but only because I love the Caly choil, not because I felt the Stretch choil needed something). The brown G-10 is very promising (I love this color in the FRN and other G-10 models), but I am less than thrilled about a buffed CF. I like it on the Calys, but the Sage / GB texture seems much more pleasing to my hand and eye. I realize the makers and locations dictate what handles are used on which models, but that would be the Ultimate Stretch (IMO).

FWIW Sal, I still enjoy carrying my SS Stretch 1.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

Sal, do you have any pix or drawings of the modified Stretch you're willing to share???
sal

Post by sal »

Prospero wrote:Sal, do you have any pix or drawings of the modified Stretch you're willing to share???
I'll see if I can get a pic posted next week.

sal
arty

Post by arty »

I actually like the idea of a laminate ZDP, aince it would aid I. Resisting corrosion. I like the current blade configuration, and would be interested in G10 or a grippy CF.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks, Sal, for considering all this input. That's kind of an amazing fact in itself.

I'm excited about the upcoming new Stretch, even more so because of the coyote G-10 choice. If I'm lucky enough to score a copy and like it as much as I expect to, I'll likely also try for a polished CF copy if one comes available.

When the new Stretch becomes a regular production model, I'd love to see it in the same brown FRN as the Delica and Endura, my favorite FRN, but I have no sense of entitlement about that and will feel lucky to see it in its usual BRG, my second favorite.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sal wrote: I am a fan of ZDP.
sal
Sal,

Can you, please share your thoughts about this steel. Somehow I never used it. I read very different comments about it. Anything from "nothing special" to the one best best steels ever. In what kind of cutting it excel and high in grits do you go?
Thank you,
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
slick228

Post by slick228 »

Hi Sal,

I'll cast a vote for peel ply carbon fiber.

:spyder:
Spyderco knife collector on a “Q” quest! :spyder: Any assistance will be greatly appreciated! :D
WTC #1520
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Roman,

I guess I mostly like the edge retention.

But I must admit that when I use an exotic steel, I also think about the effort that it took to create such a steel, the people behind the effort, the chemsitry in action and the appreciation for the steel's ability to hang on to that wisp of an edge, just a few molecules thick, despite the cutting I do (mostly mail, food [on plates and cutting boarads] and cardboard indoors, wood and line outdoors).

sal
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

+1 on brown FRN, I like color variety on my knives. Black is my favorite color and brown my second favorite and dark blues my third
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I'll eagerly be awaiting pictures of the prototype to salivate over while waiting until I can buy one.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

The Stretch is my favorite Spyderco and I've been looking forward to a G10 version. I'm excited to see what Sal has in store for our knife and trust his judgement. Of course, I do have my preferences and while brown is ok, I hope to see dark blue, foliage green, grey and all sorts of CF down the road. Of course this will mean that the test model was a success if that happens... The enhanced choil, G10 format etc. will do that plus apparently everyone LOVES brown besides me, Sal, and Manixfan and like he said- variety is a good thing... Preferably brown would have been a sprint down the road though!

I'm all for the suggested CF of course.

Here's another I'd really like: I think that OLIVE DRAB CANVAS MICARTA would be the bees knees on a Stretch. Sal I know you have your reasons to not use micarta in production folders but I think it's a great match. This early on, I'm already thinking I may have someone make me these scales to replace the brown G10! Oddly enough, although brown G10 isn't my first option, Natural canvas micarta (brown) I think would be nice on the Stretch also.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy