Stretch Brown G-10 ZDP test model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

sal wrote:Anybody have a list of all of the hunter, pro-hunter, pro-venator and stretch models we've produced? With years? It's an interesting history. If I can get a list, maybe pics, might make an interesting poster?

Hunter SS
Pro-Venator with Kraton inserts
Stainless Pro-Venator with wide blade
???

sal
Sal,

I think Spydiewiki has some good information already compiled...
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
deskil

Post by deskil »

sal wrote:The ZDP is solid, not cladded.

sal
Thank You,Thank You, Thank You !
angusW

Post by angusW »

I've been carrying my cf zdp Stretch for the last few weeks, which is odd for me as I usually change it up quite a bit, but a brown G-10 Stretch with modified choil is very exciting. I have my Calypso sprint with brown G-10 in front of me. The brown on it is a very nice colour. To be honest I'm not the biggest fan of cf due to the fact it usually adds to the price but not the function of the knife. For me G-10 or frn is fine by me.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
RevDevil

Post by RevDevil »

I love the stretch, the brown G10 would be nice, some textured CF over buffed would be a better choice. Some color of G10 gets my vote. Thanks Sal.
Ned

Post by Ned »

deskil wrote:Thank You,Thank You, Thank You !
+1!
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

Stretch G10 sounds great, new choil even more so and brown would be a color I really like!

Can´t wait to see what the design change looks like!

Thank you for steadily working over knives which seem to be close to perfection already!!
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

I know that CF is very popular as it really looks pleasing to the eye, but what I hate about it is that it drives the price up considerably! I will be very happy with G10 in whatever color! I might even go for various colored frn as it works really well even though it may not be as fancy.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I'd just like to cast my vote for G10, coyote brown or otherwise. I like my green FRN Stretch just the way it is, but if I had to change anything it would be a G10 handle in anything other than green. Dunno why, I just don't like green that much. I kinda like the thought of coyote brown, though.

I'm anxious to see what you're doing to the finger choil, though. I find it comfortable enough as it is, so I'm intrigued by the thought of it being better.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

sal wrote:I'll see if I can get a pic posted next week.

sal
No dice? :confused:
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

sal wrote:I'll see if I can get a pic posted next week.

sal
D1omedes wrote:No dice? :confused:
Sal posted that this week (4 days ago). So he still has another 9 days before "next week" is officially up. ;)

Or are you asking for a picture of the upcoming Spyderco Dice? :p
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

jabba359 wrote:Sal posted that this week (4 days ago). So he still has another 9 days before "next week" is officially up. ;)

Or are you asking for a picture of the upcoming Spyderco Dice? :p
Thanks, jabba. My excitement proves my lack of observation. ;)
SaintlyBrees

Post by SaintlyBrees »

sal wrote:...Anybody else interested in a buffed CF version?

sal
Absolutely! Not sure how I missed this thread, but I am a huge fan of CF and a buffed CF version of the Stretch would be a must-have for me. :)
My Spydies:
6 Manix 2 [blk/blk S30V, blk/blk XL, blue Sprint, blue LW, S110V LW, S90V CF XL]; 2 Delicas [VG10, Super Blue]; 4 Dragonflies [Tatoo, VG10, ZDP-189/Nishijin, Super Blue]; 4 Natives [S30V, Brn CTS-XHP, G10 S35N, Forum S110V]; 2 Chaparrals [Stepped Ti, CF]; 3 PM2s [blk/blk, blk/red Putnam, GRN CTS-204P sprint]; 1 CF bolt-action Sage; 1 Air; 1 Super Blue Manbug; 1 blk H1/blk frn Pacific Salt; 2 Stretch [Super Blue, ZDP-189]; 2 Enduras [VG10, blue jigged bone Damascus]
sal

Post by sal »

Sorry, been busy. I'll see if anyone is in the office tomorrow to post a pic.

sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

sal wrote:I think you will enjoy the SuperBlue. Hitachi makes some awesome steels. We're fortunate to be able to "play" with them.

I try to stay on top our what our customers say. Sometimes when I'm traveling, like last week, I get behind.

sal

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The entire "business chain" from; raw materials, invention, design, manufacturing, marketing, selling, distributing, shipping, warrantees, insurance, credit, etc. ALL EXISTS to service the ELU (End Line User). Remove the ELU from the equation and the entire business chain falls like a house of cards. We all work for you!
I would love to try out more steels from them!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

sal wrote:Sorry, been busy. I'll see if anyone is in the office tomorrow to post a pic.

sal
:) :) :) !!!!!!Yippee!!!!!! :) :) :)
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

ManixFan wrote: :) :) :) !!!!!!Yippee!!!!!! :) :) :)
^^^^^^^^^^What he said x 1000000 :D

I guess you can tell that I (like others) am really looking forward to this new version Stretch.

I also missed out on the Grey G10 Caly 3.5 Super Blue - which is a really beautiful looking knife and I am thinking that a new version Stretch equivalent sometime in the future would also be an amazing sprint version. A blueish grey G10 is quite a nice colour! :cool:

We haven't even seen a pic of a prototype yet and I'm already salivating over hopes of a potential Grey G10 Super Blue Sprint sometime after the new Stretch FRN's have been established in the market. Since a grey Super Blue Sprint Stretch already exists in FRN - it only makes sense to one day have the next Super Blue new version Stretch Sprint to be released in G10. :D

As I've said before....I believe that I will be collecting Spyderco's for the rest of my life .....and I'm only 44 right now. So hopefully before I hit the big 50 I'll have a grey G10 Super Blue Stretch in my hot little hands. This would also be a realistic thing to hope for as well since Super Blue is after all a Japanese steel.

I've never had grey G10 so I don't know how long it takes to get grimy looking but the one drawback that I've noticed is that it does seem to get dirty easy - at least in the pics of users that I've seen. Does no one clean their knives? Or does the grime just get embedded into the G10 that easily and is difficult to remove? You'd think a citrus based cleaner would be able to cut through hand oils easily enough since mechanics GoJo (& similar cleaners) strip off motor oil from your hands readily enough.

Anyways....... as in the movie "What about Bob?" ........I have to keep thinking to myself.... "baby steps". I am still extremely happy to hear of the potential for a simultaneous CF release! Hmmmn that last sentence almost sounded exquisitely naughty!

Can't wait for the pics! I've been reading through quite a bit of this forum since I've joined last year (and was lurking for quite a bit before that) and it seems that having pics of a prototype before an official event such as the yearly Amsterdam meet is quite a rare thing!

Thanks for the treat Sal!

I'm sure that I'll be blown away......even with the Coyote brown G10 :p
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Actually Holland answered my question in the Caly 3 Super Blue Year in Review thread. The grey G10 seems to clean up to look just like new with a little Magic Eraser. I guess all the dirty grey G10 photos I've seen just shows how much these users were "loved"
arty

Post by arty »

Will this modification to the Stretch reduce the length of the cutting edge?
nccole

Post by nccole »

arty wrote:Will this modification to the Stretch reduce the length of the cutting edge?
I would guess if anything it would add to the cutting edge. The radius of the choil will get smaller, and if it is still a 50/50 choil, it would have to get longer.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

arty wrote:Will this modification to the Stretch reduce the length of the cutting edge?
I am personally hoping that the additional choil length will be integrated into the handle rather than shortening the cutting edge. But since this is Sal's knife its going to have to fit within the Denver length restrictions. I think the Gayle Bradley integrates the whole choil into the handle as I recall, since I don't have one .....yet. Maybe this has also been done with the new choil refinement to keep the cutting edge the same? Pics will tell the story.

But this way the exposed blade length could remain the same but the handle (and overall length) might increase very slightly. But again, only pics and measurement specs would confirm.

The current Stretch fits me very comfortably in a choked up hold but is a just a tad short in the handle length if I keep all four fingers behind the choil. I can get all my fingers in there but I have to let the point of the curve rest on the inside of my pinky when holding it this way. If I try to keep all four fingers within the scale curves itself it feels a touch tight. But I think that is because in a forward grip the fingers cup the handle at a non 90 degree angle - unless you hold it in a hammer grip. A forward hammer grip might be good for stripping bark off of branches but not for eating steak.

But then again, in a reverse grip, the hammer grip becomes the more natural use positioning and the fingers are more perpendicular to the scales which allows the current handle shape to lock in perfectly with the thumb capping the butt of the handle very naturally.

So I'm not sure if I would want anything changed in the handle length itself......perhaps a touch longer might be nice? I'm not sure, - it does feel and work well as it is ......although the refined choil could potentially introduce another variable in the handle length/design.