Shaving with a Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

.357 mag wrote:Chuck Norris uses just his finger..
Chuck Norris just looks at the hair in the mirror..and it falls off his face ;)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Chuck Norris just looks at the hair in the mirror..and it falls off his face ;)
You guys are confused, Chuck Norris' beard is invincible even to him.

Roc looks most appropriate of the blades I've seen. You want some vertical distance between the edge and the handle. But less curve would be better. A straight edge or slight curve is best. Can't say it would be profitable, but Spyderco could probably revolutionize the razor world.

I'm not a steel guru but a carbon steel is preferred. I read a custom razor maker claim W1 and 1095 are among the best steels for razors.
All God's critters have knives.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If I absolutely had to shave with a Spyderco, I'd go with my jigged bone Kiwi with theTom Krein FFG treatment.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The Deacon wrote:If I absolutely had to shave with a Spyderco, I'd go with my jigged bone Kiwi with theTom Krein FFG treatment.
No, FFG is a bad idea for shaving. You need hollow ground because you're going to be sharpening it constantly and you don't want a secondary bevel.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

hawaiihunter wrote:I would shave with a whale rescue personally.
It's especially good for back hair and managing those delicate unmentionable areas...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Jax

Post by Jax »

I have shaved with a Millie,a super blue caly 3,and a ukpk bd1.
The ukpk seemed the best.
I would say a hollow ground blunt tip H1 knife,or a centofante3.
Or perhaps the new Roc.
Especially if you honed any of those down to a zero.
A dedicated Spyderco straight razor would be cool to see,for the true die hard spydie fan.
Along with Spyderco underwear,pj's,and bedspread/curtains... :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

zhyla wrote:No, FFG is a bad idea for shaving. You need hollow ground because you're going to be sharpening it constantly and you don't want a secondary bevel.
Am sure you're correct. OTOH, I was thinking of it as something to do once, not as a replacement for my Norelco, so sharpening would not be an issue for me.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The Deacon wrote:Am sure you're correct. OTOH, I was thinking of it as something to do once, not as a replacement for my Norelco, so sharpening would not be an issue for me.
Ah... Well I doubt I'll ever switch back from straight razors. If for nothing else you get to buy more knives :)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I used to shave with my cf zdp stretch until i finally bought a straight. I thinned the edge and mirror polished it but still the high hollow of a straight is miles ahead of the ffg thinned out edge. I'm pretty sure a member on these forums had a custom high hollow grind salt they used as a daily shaver. I think it was a krein regrind. They do also make zero grind razors called a wedge and they also make chisel ground razors in Japan. Anything can be suitable for shaving if it's sharp enough. Trust me though. You don't know sharp until you've used a well honed straight. It's like night and day. The edge geometry makes such a huge difference.
Clip

Post by Clip »

VashHash wrote:They do also make zero grind razors called a wedge and they also make chisel ground razors in Japan. Anything can be suitable for shaving if it's sharp enough. Trust me though. You don't know sharp until you've used a well honed straight. It's like night and day. The edge geometry makes such a huge difference.
Agreed. I haven't been able to match my shaving equipment in terms of sharpness yet, and still looking for an affordable kamisori.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris