Sharpmaker success!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spydersense

Sharpmaker success!

Post by Spydersense »

I have had a Sharpmaker for a few months now, but haven't used it much until recently, due to my lack of patience. :o In fact, I was thinking about selling it off and trying to figure out another system. Well, I started using it again the other day with good results. After reading the advice of folks here and other places, I think I am finally getting the hang of it. Being an "instant gratification" type, it took some self convincing to stick with it. I'm glad I did though. I also purchased a strop block very recently and am quite pleased with how it helps finish my edges. Thanks to all the great forum members who are so knowledgeable and quick with the free advice. Thanks to Sal for the instruction video too! My sharpening skills won't win me any awards, but it gives me a great sense of accomplishment and pride in knowing that I can now personally maintain my growing :spyder: knife collection. :cool: :D
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Good stuff. I have only recently come to realise myself that sharpening is the "other side of the coin" when it comes to quality knife ownership, and any knowledge / skills in this respect are very worthwhile indeed.
"Rules are for the adherence of fools, and the guidance of wise men". Except in a pandemic....
Military Kapara, Brouwer, UKPK (GIN1 CE, HH g10 & s110v), Delica IV SG, Caly 3 SE, Kiwi4, Lil Matriarch, Endura SG & SEW, Dragonfly Hap40, Manbug ZDP189 & SB, Ladybug 2, Vtoku & HB, Stretch HAP40, Squeak, Squeak Ti, Chicago440C, Ikuchi, Byrd Tern, Watu, Chaparral Stealth Ti, Manix XL & Rex45 G10, Shaman ZCarta, Wolfspyder, NC cf, N5 M4,
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

Depending on the steel you can sharpen even with river rocks or a brick but not hair splitting high quality edges.

I have some low end sharpening stones which just over the course of trying to learn to free hand I have destroyed. I am really thinking of picking up a sharpmaker I've watched Sals demo videos and I think it would do wonders for me.
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
sal

Post by sal »

Congrats Spydersense.

Persistence is king.

sal
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

sal wrote:Congrats Spydersense.

Persistence is king.

sal
That it is... Had the same issues with my sharpmaker at first.
But now, after using it for 2 years or so, I can get the edge I want
on any steel I want.
Sal, you're awesome :D
If you're ever in The Netherlands again, let me know :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

sal wrote:Congrats Spydersense.

Persistence is king.

sal
Thanks Sal! :D
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I got several sharpening devices, stones and strops. The sharpmaker I use it on all my spydercos, when I got it I had kind of trouble also. I was using way much pressure on the stroke that didn't let me get the edge I wanted after a couple of different tries I got the results I wanted, now it is my most trusted sharpener. Congrats enjoy sharpening keep 'em sharp :spyder:
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE