Stranded In the wild,pick your survival Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Donut wrote:The one that I have on me.
I'd be stuck with a Balance... :eek:
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Honestly, I always carry my leatherman wave with me so that would be the knife I would have with me unless it was a plane crash in which case I would have no knife at all. Batoning is great and all but I would be quite happy if all I had was that leatherman. It is almost always accompanied by a real folder too. Les from Survivorman seems quite happy with a multitool. I sometimes carry a SwissTool but not always as it weighs more than the wave.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Temperance 2 if I had a choice.

If I did not have a choice, hopefully I was carrying a Tuff or a Military that day.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Any knife, as long as it had a satellite phone and GPS attached to it. I wouldn't last a day in the wilderness with any knife.
:bug-red-white
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I carry four so think I should be okay
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I carry four so think I should be okay
3 for me and 5 if you count my MT and EDC bag. I think we will be covered.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

We'll a folder would be my preference, any day, any time survival special. Is what I need.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Rock Salt.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Either the Mule Team 01 in 52100 Steel or the Mule Team 04 in ZDP-189. Both would ROCK in a survival situation.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

In an actual survival situation where you are going to be under metal and physical stress :

-low maintenance
-durable
-very safe
-simple to operate
-easy to sharpen/repair with natural abrasives

and similar aspects

A decent H1 fixed blade, assuming it is currently available then the Warrior.

-large guard, necessary to keep the chance of cutting yourself down when tired, hungry, stressed, etc.
-handle is designed for very strong indexing in hand
-very tough blade, low concerns about gross damage even in extreme
-easy to grind just on natural rocks
-almost no maintenance, can forget to clean it (again high mental stress) with no issues
-no small parts to break, no mechanical parts to gum up
-easy to draw and use even if cold with poor dexterity.

Survival is very different from camping, pretty poor camp knife, pretty decent survival one.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Military or GB.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

like most everyone else it would be the knife i had on me which today would of been my cruwear millie and a boker nano. i feel like i would be just fine with both of those but of course id like to have a good fixed blade or hatchet with me.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

Rock salt
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I'm still in love with my Warriors (plain and black) so it would have to be one of those. I think I'd take the black one, it would look super cool with the coating worn in.
(and it's rust proof, and your hand will never slip, and it has both SE and PE)
hawaiihunter

Post by hawaiihunter »

Jester.
Looking for: Grey Cts-20cp Paramilitary 2
Green Cts-204p Paramilitary 2
S110v Mule

Currently own: Tenacious, Green Cts-204P Paramiitary 2
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Ideally I'd want a Bushcraft, Shempp Rock, or Serrata. I don't own any of the above however, so from my collection I'd want my CruWear Millie, 204P ParaMilitary 2, or Schempp Tuff. If I could have a theoretical folder that doesn't exist I'd want a Dyad (Larger than the current grey G-10 sprint) with the plain edge blade in SuperBlue for ease of sharpening with whatever I can find, and the serrated edge blade in H1...as the situation is theoretical I can dream right?
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Any knife, as long as it came with Ray Mears attached to it. Not in THAT way, mind. ** cough! ** See the Bears game?

The Gurkha kukhri always struck me as the ideal, with large, stout blade, plus small detail blade and sharpener in the same sheath. The Schemp Rock looks closest to me, so in the unlikely absence of Mr Mears, that would be my choice. Of course, all extremely hypothetical in the UK as there is no proper wilderness for about a thousand miles.
"Rules are for the adherence of fools, and the guidance of wise men". Except in a pandemic....
Military Kapara, Brouwer, UKPK (GIN1 CE, HH g10 & s110v), Delica IV SG, Caly 3 SE, Kiwi4, Lil Matriarch, Endura SG & SEW, Dragonfly Hap40, Manbug ZDP189 & SB, Ladybug 2, Vtoku & HB, Stretch HAP40, Squeak, Squeak Ti, Chicago440C, Ikuchi, Byrd Tern, Watu, Chaparral Stealth Ti, Manix XL & Rex45 G10, Shaman ZCarta, Wolfspyder, NC cf, N5 M4,
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

My choice would be the Bushcraft. Exactly the scenario that style of knife was designed for.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
v8r

Post by v8r »

I own a forager, but hate the convex grind on it, so out of the knives I own I would take my home made Bowie made from 1/4 inch 5160 spring steel. It has what I would guess some would call a zero Scandi grind. I have chopped a 8 inch pine down with it ( lot of work) ,but it did it without any edge deformation. It still would cut other media fine after. It lops of 1 inch oak limbs off with one swing. I think it works well due to mass and the grind thus would work well I believe in a emergency survival situation.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

As much as I like the mules and the way they cut I'd probably take the Bushcrafter. Not many knives will allow me to work that long and hard without hurting my hands or getting cramps from too small grips. The Bushcrafter is great about not having hot spots.

Second is probably the Cruwear mule. I love the way that eats stuff. .
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"