Cat with Jimping

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JerryIsAlive

Cat with Jimping

Post by JerryIsAlive »

I have emailed 3 dealers and all have told me their Cats do not have jimping. Can somebody point me in direction of dealer who has Cats w spine/choil jimping?
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

If I'm not mistaking only the discontinued CF version had jimping (my CF Cat does have jimping). There where some problems with this run and the CFs where recalled and replaced by the G-10 version with 440c and no jimping.
Your best chance is the secondairy market.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Ask some more dealers. There are Cats with jimping out there. Did you try Cutlery Shoppe or National Knives?

I have 2 Cats, both are without jimping, and I find them completely secure in hand.
:bug-red-white
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

I legit just ordered a cat yesterday. And i sooo wish it had jimping. Idk why they would downgrade to a cat without jimping when it originally had it.
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

The original CF run had jimping. When they released the black G10 model, it did not have jimping. If I am not mistaken, Spyderco recently modified the current Cat model and added jimping on both the spine and finger choil. I am in the market for a G10 version, and would prefer it with jimping if it is an option.
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

GP Knives: I purchased, at two different times, one with and one without jimping. Each time I called in my order and specified what I wanted (including an inspection of fit and finish). Both times I received exactly what I asked for.
Sparki

Post by Sparki »

I bought a cat off BF Exchange before and it came with jimping. I lost it and ordered another one and this one didn't have it. Sad. :(
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

buckthorn wrote:GP Knives: I purchased, at two different times, one with and one without jimping. Each time I called in my order and specified what I wanted (including an inspection of fit and finish). Both times I received exactly what I asked for.
Thanks. I have an email in to them. Whichever dealer has a jimped cat will win 2-3 spydie purchases from me lol
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Kylems11 wrote:I legit just ordered a cat yesterday. And i sooo wish it had jimping. Idk why they would downgrade to a cat without jimping when it originally had it.
Downgrade is in the eye of the beholder.
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

Now makes 6-7 popular dealers that said they do not have jimped cats. Most are under impression the jimping only exists on CF models. I am jimping or bust!!
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Blerv wrote:Downgrade is in the eye of the beholder.
I think it's probably perceived as a downgrade by most because its less steps in the manufacturing process, but with a knife that small (or almost any knife for that matter), I don't find jimping to be a necessity.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

GP Knives got back to me. They said none have jimping. There are g10 models w jimping, right? Why so hard to find?!? Maybe if I buy directly from Spyderco?
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

JerryIsAlive wrote:GP Knives got back to me. They said none have jimping. There are g10 models w jimping, right? Why so hard to find?!? Maybe if I buy directly from Spyderco?
It depends on when they were made with jimping. I've heard people say their Cat had jimping, but mine doesn't. I've seen it on a couple of youtube videos as well. If they originally came with jimping and then Spyderco changed them to not have it (probably as a cost savings since this is a budget knife) then most likely all of the dealers are sold out of the version with jimping. If jimping is a requirement for you on this knife, then you'd probably need to start looking at the secondary market.

JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

I thought jimping on the g10 models was a new thing.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I got one not too long ago maybe 2 months ago and it did not have jimping, I like jimping also but it does still pass my grip test.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

JerryIsAlive wrote:I thought jimping on the g10 models was a new thing.
I couldn't say for certain either way on that. I know my previous post implied the opposite, but that was just a guess of one scenario that was based on the number of dealers who shot you down. Were Cutlery Shoppe and Knifeworks on the list of dealers you contacted? Those are the two I always count on to actually check when I ask a question like this.

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

KC to the rescue!! Jimped cat!!! (And a balance)
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

cool deal I might need another cat, do prefer the jimping
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

JerryIsAlive wrote:KC to the rescue!! Jimped cat!!! (And a balance)
Congrats!! :cool: