Spyderco Katana or Wakizashi?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Strong-Dog

Spyderco Katana or Wakizashi?

Post by Strong-Dog »

I would buy, would you? Yeah yeah, mall ninja I get it. But I actually use my Swamprat Rucki and it works quite well as an outdoors tool. With Spyderco's history of value and great pricing, I would buy one in a heartbeat. And it if was CPM-M4? Please.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

No thanks not my cup of tea. If I wanna do serious work I'll buy a machete.
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Strong-Dog wrote:I would buy, would you? Yeah yeah, mall ninja I get it. But I actually use my Swamprat Rucki and it works quite well as an outdoors tool. With Spyderco's history of value and great pricing, I would buy one in a heartbeat. And it if was CPM-M4? Please.
Sadly, the steels and heat treatments Spyderco uses aren't very compatible with blades of that length. Being kind of into the world of Japanese Sword Arts, I'd have to say that it is probably not a money maker or a game changer in a positive way for Spyderco to set foot in that world. I know for a fact that Sal is buddies with Mike Blue, the guy who put the challenge to Howard Clark to make the bainite katana, because Sal introduced me. I also know that the Glessers get to see the Bells of Dragonfly Forge each year at the OKCA. Next year, I will be attending the classes at Dragonfly Forge to make my own wakizashi.

Until then, I'll be relegated to my HC 1086 Wakizashi.http://www.summerchild.com/hc_1086hirawakizashi.htm
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

What about a Khukhri, fixed blade of course? :D
Something sleek, something purposeful, something to slice and dice, and of course, choppity chop chop...?
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:What about a Khukhri, fixed blade of course? :D
Something sleek, something purposeful, something to slice and dice, and of course, choppity chop chop...?
I always thought of my Rock Salt as a Spyderco Khukhri, but I'd be in for something bigger as well.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

To the original post...sorry, no.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

It's hard to imagine how that could be a winning business idea.
All God's critters have knives.
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

Though I would be interested. I tend to agree that the larger/longer sword-like blades might not be something economically appropriate for Spyderco to venture into. But then again, knowing Spyderco, I'm sure they could come up with something very nice. Maybe a Tanto/Kwaiken design (I do have the Lum Tanto fixed blade design)? Thank you for the Summer Child website SolidState. I bookmarked it for further exploration. Mike
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

How about the Lum tanto folder put back into production. I'm all for that.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
tlo14290

Post by tlo14290 »

Since it would appear that Spyderco has no intention of getting into that market, if someone were interested in a machete/short sword, they might look at the Condor 14" blade Golok, the one with the funny looking ball on the end of the handle. Oal 19", available from many vendors with a very nice leather sheath for about $60-70 shipped, it comes fairly sharp, balances ~4" from the handle, and has a continuous distal taper. It chops very nicely, but it doesn't feel like your typical nose-heavy machete. It balances and feels like the short sword that it is. Not beautiful and elegant like a wakizashi, but most rugged and effective.

Be sure the vendor includes a sheath, I have seen it on Amazon w/o.

It's kinda like the PM2 of machetes, not real expensive, nor cheap by any means, but it'll do what you need really well.

Good stuff.

My 5 cents worth...
max808

Re: Spyderco Katana or Wakizashi?

Post by max808 »

Strong-Dog wrote:
Mon May 19, 2014 7:07 pm
I would buy, would you? Yeah yeah, mall ninja I get it. But I actually use my Swamprat Rucki and it works quite well as an outdoors tool. With Spyderco's history of value and great pricing, I would buy one in a heartbeat. And it if was CPM-M4? Please.
I'll take one of each and my buddy could more than likely be convinced of the same. Been holding out for years and a seki-city katana would be legendary in my humble opinion. Being realistic here, hypothetically speaking would VG-10 be possible since it is a laminate kinda? Not looking for some giant demonslayer, about 1000mm at a 1000g seems average and perfectly balanced. This is strictly hypothetical of course...
:bug-white :bug-red :respect :bug-red :bug-white
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard