Is this Military fake or real?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Is this Military fake or real?

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section; the "Fakes and Knockoffs" section looked like it is just for reporting confirmed fakes?

On topic: I found this Spyderco Military for sale. I belive that is is real, but since it is on Ebay, I wanted to confirm, as there are so many fakes floating around.

Here are some pics:

Thanks in advance!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Looks good to me. But if it is actually fake then that's scary
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

I'd say those bolt holding the clip look somewhat weird but picture quality isn't great. Plus a side picture of them would tell more. Fake usually have more of a head shaped like a " ==D " while true Spydies have bolt looking more like " ==) ". By this I mean a flater bolt head on true one instead of a thick round one on replica.
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Was the clip stripped or replaced? Should be black...must be used.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Why not ask the seller where they got it from? If it's used and they got it from a reputable dealer then you're ok.
I bought my Millie 2nd hand and had the same concerns resolved in this way. It's my absolute favourite Spydie.
"Rules are for the adherence of fools, and the guidance of wise men". Except in a pandemic....
Military Kapara, Brouwer, UKPK (GIN1 CE, HH g10 & s110v), Delica IV SG, Caly 3 SE, Kiwi4, Lil Matriarch, Endura SG & SEW, Dragonfly Hap40, Manbug ZDP189 & SB, Ladybug 2, Vtoku & HB, Stretch HAP40, Squeak, Squeak Ti, Chicago440C, Ikuchi, Byrd Tern, Watu, Chaparral Stealth Ti, Manix XL & Rex45 G10, Shaman ZCarta, Wolfspyder, NC cf, N5 M4,
BronislovasLTU

Post by BronislovasLTU »

Theres so many mili/para dragon/salt southhard fakes in these days so hard to tell. Sometimes theres no difference of them. These model that I would by in future. I mean original knifes.

After watching youtube and comparing Fakes vs Reals I discovered that I have 2 (2 from all 3) fakes boxes of spyderco. I have green sprint run tenacious, blue persistence, and black tenacious again. So 2 boxes looks like fake???? Jesus Christus. I know that these knifes made in china, but after comparing boxes looks 2 fake boxes... From Fake criterion. All knifes buyed from ebay and "trusted" United States sellers....

So don't trust anyone in these days...
BronislovasLTU

Post by BronislovasLTU »

[video=youtube_share;lrgesqFA_Ko]http://youtu.be/lrgesqFA_Ko?t=1m48s[/video]
Watch from 1:48. I'm talking about spyderco golden spider and other little things.
This is para2, but I think it touching and other models.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'll admit, I haven't yet examined and compared the :spyder: stickers on a large number of boxes, but I can say that basing assumptions as to whether a Spyderco is real or fake on box label fonts is a really, really, bad idea given that the fonts used on the labels of genuine boxes have been known to vary both from model to model and within a model over time. None of that is to say that the PM2 in Neptune Knives video is not a fake, just to say that assuming a knife is fake based solely on the fact that the label font and/or :spyder: details do not match those on another Spyderco box is bound to result in many real Spydercos being labeled as fake.

As for the knife GoldenSpydie is inquiring about, it has reached the point where, unless an eBay seller is known to be the eBay persona of a known, legitimate, online or brick & mortar knife dealer, there are a number of Spyderco models I would strongly advise against buying there, especially if the price seems "too good to be true", but even if it isn't, since some of the sellers of counterfeits have realized that offering their wares at low prices is a dead giveaway that they're selling fakes. The Military is most definitely among those models. I'm assuming the photos you posted are from an eBay listing, but I can't find that listing to see if the seller is one known to sell fakes, or not.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks guys. I don't think that I will be bidding.

A little more info:

*The seller is a pawn shop, they are clueless about knives
*They are selling it with a Delica box, and advertise it as a Delica
*Bidding is around $50 ATM

I have had good luck with a different pawn shop on Ebay (cheapish WTC).

I can email a link to you, Deacon, if you want.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would be dang sure before bidding. Look at the user with a magnifying glass. Do they look like a collector or is that a unique item? What does the auction say, does it it look like someone slammed a paragraph into Google Translate?

While this still isn't foolproof most the fakers can't pass the most basic of tests. Given a used Military should be 70-90% the price of a new one often it's just better to buy new from a trusted dealer. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Seems like Paul hit the nail(s) on the head, the seller doesn't know even what they have, it has a swapped clip (well, araneae said that), and you'd be better off getting one from a legit dealer. I can certainly understand the lure of the price, but Millies are prime copycat target. That's one benefit of CC numbers too, the impostors never have those. Good luck, still jealous of your WTC find! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King