The Upcoming Kiwi4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JerryIsAlive

The Upcoming Kiwi4

Post by JerryIsAlive »

I needs one!!! I love wharncliffes and this is such a great looking knife. Should be small enough to bring to work (law office). I see Q2/July estimates for release. Anyone else stoked?
Ned

Post by Ned »

I am, I will be buying this knife! :D
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Stoked on being pumped about this knife!
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
MattBPKT

Post by MattBPKT »

It's been a long wait....hopefully soon!
Knife Informer...stay sharp, stay informed.
Loansharkx

Post by Loansharkx »

I want it in pearl handles!!!! And vg 10 steel.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm excited. Besides the S110V Manix 2 that I had no idea was even in the works for this year, the Kiwi 4 is the only new model I have any interest in, besides the S90V Yojimbo 2 sprint coming later this year.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Loansharkx

Post by Loansharkx »

Evil D wrote:I'm excited. Besides the S110V Manix 2 that I had no idea was even in the works for this year, the Kiwi 4 is the only new model I have any interest in, besides the S90V Yojimbo 2 sprint coming later this year.
S90 yojimbo 2 you say? Hmmm .. I just got the g10...

I'll be thinking about both of these now
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Or you could cross the streams: a CF S90V or S110V Kiwi4 sprint to go with the KW S90V Yo2. Is it too early to ask for 2015 sprint run ideas? Wait, did I really just type "2015"? :eek:
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am really excited to get this one. I would be more pleased if we could get them for sub $100. I really want to be able to afford multiples so I can make scales like Jack does!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

This knife is why I've been putting off buying an Air. I like back locks more, and I can't wait to put the hump on mine.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
timlara

Post by timlara »

SolidState wrote:This knife is why I've been putting off buying an Air. I like back locks more, and I can't wait to put the hump on mine.
Pretty excited for the Kiwi 4 as well, though I am puzzled as to why it was decided to leave out the trademark hump on the blade. That's my one quibble with the design. Everything else about it looks excellent. (Though I wouldn't mind a ZDP version...)
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

When the new catalogue came out, this was one of the my favorites, and most anticipated new knives. I'll definitely pick one of these up. Should be a real slicer.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Here are Wouter's photos from the Amsterdam meet, post #27 ~ half way down the page. I'm pretty enthusiastic but still a little on the fence. I like the deep carry wire clip option. I was expecting a hollow grind, but the FFG is, I suppose, more practical and popular. That plus the extra half inch of blade more than the Kiwi 3 should make it more useful as a slicer. The black G-10 may not be boring, but, I'll put it this way: If it had a foliage green handle, I'd buy one ;)

Edit: I kind of miss the blade hump too, I think that gave it a lot of personality. But looking at pictures on the intertubes, I think the new design is more like the old traditional Wharncliffes.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

timlara wrote:I am puzzled as to why it was decided to leave out the trademark hump on the blade.
I would bet it's because the blade is FFG. I'm going to bet it may be pretty laser thin when I do put the hump in.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Really thought they'd be out by now as I've had this one for a couple months now, a gift from Sal. Mixed emotions are the only way I can describe my feelings toward it. On the one hand, I feel honored that Sal chose to bring a the suggestion I made roughly ten years back for a "Delica size" Kiwi to market and that it also incorporates a couple other features I suggested for the original Kiwi - a full flat ground blade without a hump. On the other, perhaps because I love the original Kiwis and see them as near perfect examples of a modern gentleman's folder, the construction of the Kiwi 4 leaves me somewhat cold. To my eyes, the peel-ply G-10, the screw pivot, and the wire clip all take it from a gentlemanly look and feel to a tactical one, and I'm not a fan of tactical. That said, the Kiwi 4 behaves like a typical Moki midlock, well built, tight and en excellent slicer, so it should appeal to those who like the G-10 versions of the Caly 3 and 3.5 and are looking for a 3" wharncliffe with similar characteristics.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Deacon wrote:...To my eyes, the peel-ply G-10, the screw pivot, and the wire clip all take it from a gentlemanly look and feel to a tactical one, and I'm not a fan of tactical. That said, the Kiwi 4 behaves like a typical Moki midlock, well built, tight and en excellent slicer, so it should appeal to those who like the G-10 versions of the Caly 3 and 3.5 and are looking for a 3" wharncliffe with similar characteristics.
Paul, do you feel your opinion could be swayed if the G-10 was sanded / polished to a semi shine? I realize this wouldn't solve the clip slots or the pivot screw, but it could go a long way to improving it right?
*Landon*
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

To each their own. Black G10 and wire clip make it feel more gentlemanly to me!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

xceptnl wrote:Paul, do you feel your opinion could be swayed if the G-10 was sanded / polished to a semi shine? I realize this wouldn't solve the clip slots or the pivot screw, but it could go a long way to improving it right?
As you say, it would not eliminate my feelings regarding the construction and clip, but it would definitely look better to me with smooth, polished G-10, and even more so if it were tastefully fluted in a manner similar to the Des Horn. Unfortunately, the partially pinned construction precludes, or at least seriously complicates, simply sanding down the peel ply. However, when they hit the street, I'll get one and find someone to rebuild it for me with stabilized wood scales.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think a ZDP or SB sprint are more likely. I also plan to contour/sand/polish the G10 when I get mine.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Deacon wrote:.. However, when they hit the street, I'll get one and find someone to rebuild it for me with stabilized wood scales.
I assumed as much.
*Landon*