Sad Techno Mishap, Was it Due to Defects? Find out here! (PICS!)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Post by benben »

My Techno actually cut me once ! Sal??
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Scorpion wrote:I don't see anything about buffing/fixing dents. Do you still think they can do that and include it in the $20?
I'd give them a call. $20 looks like it includes a bit of work so I'd think they would do it. It still won't look new since the scales are blasted and they probably won't do that..
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Scorpion wrote:I don't see anything about buffing/fixing dents. Do you still think they can do that and include it in the $20?
If you want it to look like new again then you should probably just sell the knife and buy a new one.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Of course a fall could whack it open - no design flaw there, but the clip... well, wire clips shouldn't be put on heavy and/or smooth knives, period. They're okay for small, light ones, but aren't strong enough. I feel bad for the knife and would be mad, but you have to just use and abuse it now, without the worry of scratching it. I hate the first scratches!
- best wishes, Jazz.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

NoFair wrote:I'd give them a call. $20 looks like it includes a bit of work so I'd think they would do it. It still won't look new since the scales are blasted and they probably won't do that..
This. So I'm afraid you might not have your expectations met. I think you have heard good advice over and over in this thread, but I will say it once more.

Get yourself a sharpening kit and reprofile the edge. Then spend a little time asking questions here (or on the maintenance and tinkering forum over on bladeforums) about how to sand/buff out the dings on the ti and fix it yourself. Spend the time to do those two things and you will end up with a nearly perfect knife that you fixed yourself. You will have gained some extremely useful skills and you will feel a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. The knife will be truly yours, where before it was just something that someone made for you.

The path I just outlined is not very much work and extremely rewarding. The path you are looking to follow it wrought with frustration and expectations that are unlikely to be fulfilled.

Good luck. :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

My condolences to the prettiness of your Techno.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Titanium isn't steel. It doesn't take a fall like steel does. You need to baby it if it's to stay pretty.

I don't carry $200 knives because the replacement cost if something happens is more than I want to pay. You may want to reconsider the price point you can stomach for something that may be lost or damaged.
All God's critters have knives.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Titanium and beadblasting are eyecatching features but problematical in the best of circumstances. The former, being soft, is dentable (I dented my Sage2, not by dropping it, just by bumping it into a hard surface). The latter is scratchable (my stainless-steel Ruger GP100 revolver was originally beadblasted but I got so tired of the scratches it accumulated just being looked at that I Flitzed off the finish and now have a spectacular and preferred satin surface).

The Techno in my pocket today has some scratches on its blade. So far, my gentle efforts with Flitz have failed to remove them. I suspect the scratches are deeper than the finish. Bummer, but these scratches don't detract from the Techno's purpose one iota. It's a knife, after all.

My blade has no chips like yours but other blades I've owned have chipped as badly as the damage you are showing. As others have said, some cautious reprofiling will remove the damage and, in my judgment, leave the blade's shape perceptibly unchanged. Too be sure, the reprofiling will not detract from the Techno's purpose one iota. It's a knife, after all.

I have found that a judicious use of sharpening stones can flatten dents in titanium scales. By flattening, I mean the "mountains" of material can be lowered to the general surface, not that the "valleys" can be filled up to this surface. But the lowering can make the valleys less an eyesore. In any case, dented scales will not detract from the Techno's purpose one iota. It's a knife, after all.

By the way, I think your claims of design flaws are off the mark. While the Techno's detent is certainly not as stiff as a midlock knife, it's stiff enough not to open inadvertently, as when in the pocket. I'll bet dollars to donuts that if you did not have the sizeable dent on the scale at the pivot, your blade would not have opened and gotten chipped. I imagine that this particular denting imparted energy at just the right place (perhaps similar to what a Spyderdrop would impart) to open the blade and expose it to damage. And you did change out the original clip, so you can't really complain about it. I personally don't like a wire clip on the Techno, less because it doesn't have enough tension for my liking and more because it is, to my eye, out of proportion to the chunks of metal it intends to hold in the pocket (I removed the clip and carry the Techno are the bottom of my LFP).

All this said, no one here enjoys seeing their Spydies damaged, whether accidentally or during legitimate cutting. However, most here recognize that as knives get used, their histories will include functional and visual deterioration. Some here understand that countering this deterioration is part of the fun of owning knives that actually get used. Embrace this part of ownership and you will be less uphappy with your acquisitions (and less inclined to suggest a replacement is due you).
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I don't think the damage is bad. It wouldn't bother me much but if it bothers you, I'd suggest selling it. It does sound like the clip is a bit too loose. I wouldn't call that a defect though.
tk59194

Post by tk59194 »

Sorry to hear about the damage. And on such a beautiful knife. This is exactly why I remove all clips from every spyderco I own. I lost my beloved SAGE 1 do to this sort of incident. I have never had any of my knives come out of the bottom of my pocket. In my line of work I find that the Clips get snagged on all sorts of things, causing them to get bent, fly off my pocket, get lost, damaged, etc....
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think the only "design flaw" here is that it's a smooth scale with a wire clip. That recipe doesn't make for the tightest clipping action. If you inspect the knife and find that the clip is still relatively tight against the scale, then I'd guess that you somehow snagged the clip/knife as you were running and pulled it out. It could happen with any clip design on a smooth scale like this (I'm constantly checking to make sure my Southard is clipped securely for the same reason).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

[deleted]
Last edited by MachSchnell on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I can tell you this on my beater edc which has aus8 it took me about 6 months to work it/sharpen it out from a metal staple in industrial cardboard. Buy a sharp maker/sharpening stone use the knife and take the chipping out.
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Scorpion,
I'm sorry to hear of the accident with your knife. Sal, as you know, runs Spyderco so he's quite busy. He is currently out of the office and once he returns he will be preparing for Blade Show so I don't know that he'll see this thread anytime soon. I know Sal's participation is something special and rare, but he is just one person. It would be best at this point to place your trust in the Warranty & Repair staff (staff that Sal trusts). If you'd like to send it in for evaluation that would be best. No determination can be made without W&R receiving the knife. They can't make a judgment based upon images. If you'd like to reference this thread you can, but please be sure to include all of your contact information as well.

Thanks much.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Just sharpen it and get on with your life....
Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Yup - from what you describe the knife is definitely defective......the laws of physics were also conspiring against you. :eek:

Time to find a good lawyer and sue God for implementing a law of gravity. :confused:

I absolutely hate it myself when I accidentally damage something I own :mad: .......I usually am disgusted with myself :mad: :mad: :mad:

.......and generally unhappy with the world for a bit. Then perspective kicks in and I thank God for all the blessings that I do have in my life and get over it. :o
dr_fosg8

Post by dr_fosg8 »

Best thing to do would be to call spyderco customer service and ask them, not here.

Sorry to hear about the damage but, you could have NOT heard the click and lost it completely.
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

dr_fosg8 wrote:Best thing to do would be to call spyderco customer service and ask them, not here.

Sorry to hear about the damage but, you could have NOT heard the click and lost it completely.
It's like a dent In a new car. It won't be the last. Quit babying that techno.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

You must be a very cautious person who hasn't dropped many knives before. I, on the other hand, am a klutz and have the scratches on my knives and broken cell phones to prove it. It's not hard to imagine a titanium handled knife slipping out of your pocket like that, especially while running. I can think of a few ways that could happen. Secondly, my knives always open when they hit the ground. It's like a cat landing on its feet or toast falling butter side down. It just always seems to happen. I can remember just the other day dropping my Military about 2 feet onto a hardwood floor, and like magic it opened and locked itself. I think what we have here is a testament to the smoothness of Taichung folders allowing it to open so easily once the detent is overcome. I'm no Mark Harmon, but I agree with Invective that the knife probably hit the ground on that corner that was dented which looks like the pivot area which would seem to be the perfect spot in order for the blade to open under its own momentum. Roll credits!

Seriously though, these things happen. The blade damage is nothing, it'll sharpen out pretty easily. You can probably smooth out all the scratches and dents in the Ti if you want, might make for a cool look. Like everyone else said, it's character! The knife is now officially yours!
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

PayneTrain wrote:You must be a very cautious person who hasn't dropped many knives before. I, on the other hand, am a klutz and have the scratches on my knives and broken cell phones to prove it. It's not hard to imagine a titanium handled knife slipping out of your pocket like that, especially while running. I can think of a few ways that could happen. Secondly, my knives always open when they hit the ground. It's like a cat landing on its feet or toast falling butter side down. It just always seems to happen. I can remember just the other day dropping my Military about 2 feet onto a hardwood floor, and like magic it opened and locked itself. I think what we have here is a testament to the smoothness of Taichung folders allowing it to open so easily once the detent is overcome. I'm no Mark Harmon, but I agree with Invective that the knife probably hit the ground on that corner that was dented which looks like the pivot area which would seem to be the perfect spot in order for the blade to open under its own momentum. Roll credits!

Seriously though, these things happen. The blade damage is nothing, it'll sharpen out pretty easily. You can probably smooth out all the scratches and dents in the Ti if you want, might make for a cool look. Like everyone else said, it's character! The knife is now officially yours!
Thank you! This actually made me feel the best out of all the posts. I have dropped everything of value too. :mad: My iphone, macbook, Paramilitary 2, and now my Techno. I thought I was the only one!