Sad Techno Mishap, Was it Due to Defects? Find out here! (PICS!)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scorpion

Sad Techno Mishap, Was it Due to Defects? Find out here! (PICS!)

Post by Scorpion »

All joking aside, I'm feeling pretty low. My favorite (and third) Spyderco met with an accident on the way home today. Welp, back to the report:

It was raining. I needed to be somewhere fast. I was running from the bus station to that place when I hear a small click, not unlike the sound a tic-tac container makes falling on the counter. I turned around, and notice on the ground behind me my Techno, open, locked open. Not seconds before it was clipped securely in my jeans pocket, like so (zoomed out: http://imgur.com/Vvh1VQV):
Anyways, I picked it up, hastily closed it so as not to alarm those around me and rushed inside. I scanned it quickly for marks. I saw some scratches in the titanium scales:
I then frantically searched for a place to go to make a more thorough inspection. Unfortunately, I had to settle for a stall in the Men's room. There I examined my Techno more closely. I discovered a massive flat spot where the relatively soft titanium had been, well, smushed.
After that I turned my attention to the blade. I was shocked and saddened to see that not only the tip, but the edge was damaged. Tip:
Other side:
Lastly, the poor edge;
Unfortunately my photography skills/camera combination is of sufficiently low quality to make it hard to see the extent of the damage, but I did what I could.

Now, I feel that there may be a couple of serious design flaws (or one time defects, I would be happy to hope for such a thing so as to keep Spyderco in as good of a light as possible) that allowed this to happen. First of all, the clip should not have let the Techno fly out of my pocket. (Now, for the sake of Full Disclosure, the clip is not the Techno clip, but rather a Sage 2 clip, the only difference being the finish. The clip was never modified and was securely tightened prior to the fall.)

Secondly, the short (hip to ground) fall should not have caused the Techno to have flipped open at all, let alone enough to engage the lock. I have no idea how this happened to be honest, but due to this the edge was severely damaged and in my opinion this is the worst of the damage by far.

Final notes: The stonewash certainly helped hid the smaller scratches. Until I saw the larger issues I was ready to put them down as character marks. The G-10 backspacer got one gear scratched, but after rubbing it for a minute with my thumb (smoothing the plastic scratches down) it is hardly noticeable anymore. The lockup is still solid as a tank.

Bottom line: I would really appreciate it if Sal is willing to exchange it for me if I send it in, since I feel that there were manufacturing defects in play here, and no negligent behavior (unless we are never supposed to run with clipits). However I want to be clear that I am still a loyal fan and will continue to buy Spyderco knives whether or not Sal agrees to do this for me. I love Spyderco, and I love the Techno. I still recommend it, only with the warning that you have probably all heard before: Don't run with knives.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I know it hurts to bang up a nice knife, but honestly, the blade nicks will sharpen right out and the other marks will just add character. Reprofile the edge and enjoy it I say. :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I am sorry to hear this, Scorpion. :( It always hurts to see a beloved Spydie get a few scratches/dings from a freak accident. After reading through your post, however, I do not believe that this unfortunate accident was due to a manufacturing defect on Spyderco's part. Most of the good folks here have had their Clipits fall/snagged/pulled/bumped/hooked from their pockets from one time or another--myself included. :o Of course I can't speak for Spyderco, but I don't think there's anything they would be able to do regarding a replacement for your knife. If I were in your shoes, I would send it to Spyderco and see if they can't buff some of the dings out of the handle and blade for you. I once sent in one of my Lums many years ago for similar reasons and they did a fantastic job bringing her back to her former glory.

Hope this helps, man. Good luck!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

Has nice character now. Enjoy the knife, sharpen out the ships and use it more. I don't think a new knife will change anything in the long run... If you use your knife it will get beat up over time anyway
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I have had this happen with my Techno and it's the only thing I hate about that knife. When I get back home, I'm often holding mail and fuddling with keys trying to get in my door, one wrong turn and the knife falls out. I've had it happen while walking and while at work in another situation that escapes me at the moment.

It's a weaker retention clip and while it's frustrating, I like it as well...I would just like a clip with a TAD more retention. The clips on some of the other knives annoy me and seem to damage my pockets some when wearing jeans. Maybe it's all in my head, but it annoys me when a knife is too difficult to put away.

Besides the clip, the issue is also that the knife is short and doesn't have the needed weight to resist popping out.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Surfingringo wrote:I know it hurts to bang up a nice knife, but honestly, the blade nicks will sharpen right out and the other marks will just add character. Reprofile the edge and enjoy it I say. :)
+1

I don't see any defect here. Some knives are more secure in the pocket than others...and you said it yourself, "don't run with knives".
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Holland wrote:Has nice character now. Enjoy the knife, sharpen out the ships and use it more. I don't think a new knife will change anything in the long run... If you use your knife it will get beat up over time anyway
Sharpen out the ships? :eek: I didn't think the dings/chips were that big. ;) :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

It sounds more like an accident then any manufacturing problem. You even say that is was securely clipped, so I don't see how the clip can be at fault if it was secure. Spyderco has to make the clip tight enough to offer some resistance, but not so much that it's difficult to get out of the pocket. You don't say if you had a bag that could have been bouncing up and down and pulled it out, or a jacket who's sleeve could have caught it as your arms pumped up and down while running, or anything else in your pocket that could have wedged between the bottom of the knife and your thigh and popped it up as you ran, or perhaps you brushed by a bush or light pole or something that snagged it, etc. There are tons of possible variables that could cause a perfectly functioning knife to pop out of your pocket. I've had more than one seatbelt pull a knife out of my pocket, but that doesn't mean there is a defect in the knife.

As for opening when it hit the ground, I would fully expect that any folding knife could open from falling, as there are so many variables to consider: how much force was generated by the fall; the perpendicular movement from your running; the angle at which it impacted the ground; etc. So it doesn't come as a surprise in the least.

I'm sorry that you knife fell out and got scratched up. :( That's never fun. But accidents happen and aren't always indicative of a defect or flaw.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Your tool is officially "well loved."
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

SpyderNut wrote:I am sorry to hear this, Scorpion. :( It always hurts to see a beloved Spydie get a few scratches/dings from a freak accident. After reading through your post, however, I do not believe that this unfortunate accident was due to a manufacturing defect on Spyderco's part. Most of the good folks here have had their Clipits fall/snagged/pulled/bumped/hooked from their pockets from one time or another--myself included. :o Of course I can't speak for Spyderco, but I don't think there's anything they would be able to do regarding a replacement for your knife. If I were in your shoes, I would send it to Spyderco and see if they can't buff some of the dings out of the handle and blade for you. I once sent in one of my Lums many years ago for similar reasons and they did a fantastic job bringing her back to her former glory.

Hope this helps, man. Good luck!
Did they charge you for this? If so, how much?

Thanks guys for the replies. I don't have a sharpener so I would need to send it to Spyderco anyway to be re-profiled. Also, do you really think they can buff out the dings (esp. the huge flat one), make it look stonwashed again (or what's the point, you're trading one kind of blemish for another), and regrind the blade (also not making it look terrible b/c of how much needs to get shaved off) for significantly less cost and time it would take to just send out a new one? Anyways, I leave the final call up to Sal. If he says an exchange is OK, then that's what I'll do, and gladly. Ditto if he says he can bring it's condition back to like new for free/cheap. But otherwise, I have a feeling I will be selling it. Any idea what it would sell for in this condition?
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

While it is always sad to have that happen. I don't see any real damage. The edge will sharpen out...the Ti is a bit dented up but nothing bad.

I will agree that the clip isn't overly secure though. I have mine coated with that tubing that shrinks when you apply heat and it works a lot better.
On the hunt for...
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

I can't wrap my head around people who buy expensive knives and then when accidents or wear and tare happen they call defect. Honestly be a man and man up and use the knife and enjoy not for what it's worth. If you can afford a techno you can get a sharpening stone and learn to take care of a blade. When did men become such sheeps?
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Sorry, but I'm here to tell you that knives that you like and carry a lot eventually get some road wear. It's good - it's a sign of character and use. Sort of like the stuffed animals that your kid likes best - they wind up with some wear and tear. It's all good. :)
Sparki

Post by Sparki »

Sorry to hear about the knife, but it honestly doesn't look too bad. Knives are meant to be used and worn. It still locks up solid, and the dent is pretty minor. Just needs a good sharpening.

If anything, this gives you an excuse to buy a sharpmaker. :)

You might also be able to find a local place to sharpen knives for you, I know there's a few places near where I live that'll sharpen any knife for a relatively low fee.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Seriously?!?

This is a defect?!?

I can't believe you've got the nerve to come here and actually suggest that...

It's called an "accident". Suck it up.
LC Kid

Hardly a Design Flaw or Manufactury Issue

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Scorpion!

Is very sad for me to hear this about your beloved Techno.
:o My honest impression is it fell down from your pocket and crashed against the ground scrambling like a ball, which led it open and then the edge took all that punishment. Is not the same thing a free fall from your hand when you're standing and falling from the same height when you're moving, even worse when you're moving fast.

Anyway, I wouldn't care about the Ti slabs marks. A good buffing against a light abrasive will put them as good as new, will all the character involved, and an edge reprofile will make it whittle hair again.

And if you send it to Golden you'll be surprised how good and pristine they'll make it.
:spyder: Wanna sell the way it is? I can only see you losing money by doing so.
Stay Sharp!
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

What would Spyderco usually charge for buffing/reprofiling?
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Points to mattman for stating the obvious.

The best thing you can do is buy a sharpening system at this point, and grind the dings off with the coarsest stones, then reprofile the edge. It is now officially a user.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Scorpion, it is sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. I do not however feel that your bad luck is isolated. I have snagged many clipits on straps, seatbelts, drawstrings, etc. Some have suffered "signs of wear", but all have remained functional. SpyderNut's suggestion is a good one to try to get you back to whole, but you should also perhaps look into a Sharpmaker or Benchstone for a long term tool that can help with these incidents should they come up again. As for value, once resharpened and displaying a fresh edge, I would expect that your Techno could sell for as much a 80% or street if not more. It's not ruined, just has EDC scars. Gook Luck!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Invective

Post by Invective »

From the look of the dent in the Ti, I am guessing that is where the knife initially hit the ground and from the angle of it, I don't find it surprising that it opened. It hit the ground in one of the few areas that it have enough momentum to open up which is unlucky.