Dragonfly: Super Blue v. ZDP-189

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Dragonfly: Super Blue v. ZDP-189

Post by TomAiello »

Does anyone have the Dragonfly in both of these steels?

Can you compare them for me? I love my ZDP dragonfly, and I've been pretty happy with Super Blue in some other knives. Is it worth finding (and it's been hard for me, for whatever reason) the SB dragonfly to try it out? Or should I just stick with my ZDP and be happy?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I love my ZDP knives, but never purchased the ZDP Dragonfly (foolish me right). I have the VG-10 as well as the H1 and now the Superblue is on the way. I am a terrible enabler and not the best to ask, but I see no reason for you NOT to buy the Superblue Dragonfly if you already have been pretty happy with it in other knives. According to Brandon..... we could all use more Dragonfly love
brand0n_xk wrote:Image
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The reason not to is that I'm having a lot of trouble finding one. I may have to resort to ebay pricing. :(
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Oh, and you definitely need a ZDP dragonfly. It's one of my top 3 spydies, and the most common one I gift. I think I've given it to 6 or 7 people at this point. It's a fantastic knife and even non-knife people appreciate it.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

TomAiello wrote:The reason not to is that I'm having a lot of trouble finding one. I may have to resort to ebay pricing. :(
KW had quite a few earlier today when I ordered mine.
*Landon*
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I'm interested in this, too. I have a DF sized hole to fill, and a wallet-itch.

What's steel the best for careful edc?
"Rules are for the adherence of fools, and the guidance of wise men". Except in a pandemic....
Military Kapara, Brouwer, UKPK (GIN1 CE, HH g10 & s110v), Delica IV SG, Caly 3 SE, Kiwi4, Lil Matriarch, Endura SG & SEW, Dragonfly Hap40, Manbug ZDP189 & SB, Ladybug 2, Vtoku & HB, Stretch HAP40, Squeak, Squeak Ti, Chicago440C, Ikuchi, Byrd Tern, Watu, Chaparral Stealth Ti, Manix XL & Rex45 G10, Shaman ZCarta, Wolfspyder, NC cf, N5 M4,
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

ChrisinHove wrote:What's steel the best for careful edc?
That question has lots of variables. What do you define as "careful"? What are your current knives and edc uses? Do you open mail daily or baton wood for fires?

All of these questions are important, but with nothing else to go on, VG-10 is the most well rounded steel that the Dragonfly is available in and it serves many functions very well!
*Landon*
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Howes has some available right now, I like ZDP but prefer super blue
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Thanks X. I have one on the way.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

TomAiello wrote:Thanks X. I have one on the way.
Good to hear!
*Landon*
NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

...i have never held or owned a dragonfly model but think i am finding the S.B sprint most tempting-i have a few of the other super blue sprints...
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If you've never owned a dragonfly you owe it to yourself to go get one immediately.