Airplanes and knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Airplanes and knives

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I've got a trip next week to Indianapolis and I'm wondering what to do about the knife situation. I know I can't carry one on the plane but what about checked luggage. Is it true that they search checked luggage? Any reason why they would confiscate something like a pocket knife? I obviously don't want to lose a Spydie, but I'll be sure to bring something that I can easily replace if that happens.

I'll be crossing the border and I have a series of connecting flights. Any help is appreciated. Oh and on a side note I arranged the return flight home so that I have a layover in Denver so that I can swing out the the Spyderco head office :)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I fly constantly and always carry my Spydies checked in my luggage (under the plane) nestled in a Spyderco pouch. I usually try to follow the length laws for my destination (but not always). I have never had an experience of them (TSA) paying any more notice to my knives than anything else in my bag. I never carry ones that I can't replace if something does unfortunately happen (including losing it any other way while on a trip). Good luck!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
nccole

Post by nccole »

Just meet up with me in Indy, I have plenty you can borrow :D
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

My sons have had knives in checked luggage stolen more than once.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yikes. Very different answers here. I'll have to give this some thought.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Donut

Post by Donut »

I've flown a few times in the past few years and have had no trouble with checked knives.

Typically, I zip tie the knife through the spyder hole to keep them from opening and to let me know if someone has been tampering with them. I cut off the zip tie pretty close to where it is tightened down so someone will have a hard time slipping it lose and getting it back together.

I typically use a factory second for traveling.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I've got a trip next week to Indianapolis and I'm wondering what to do about the knife situation. I know I can't carry one on the plane but what about checked luggage. Is it true that they search checked luggage? Any reason why they would confiscate something like a pocket knife? I obviously don't want to lose a Spydie, but I'll be sure to bring something that I can easily replace if that happens.
Other than someone with sticky fingers, I wouldn't be concerned with transporting knives in checked bags, but I still wouldn't bring something that couldn't be replaced. You never know what other people will do if they see something of interest to them. In other words..... leave that Superblue Caly 3.5 at home.
Liquid Cobra wrote:...I'll be crossing the border and I have a series of connecting flights. Any help is appreciated. Oh and on a side note I arranged the return flight home so that I have a layover in Denver so that I can swing out the the Spyderco head office :)
Sly dog you!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Clip

Post by Clip »

Donut wrote:I've flown a few times in the past few years and have had no trouble with checked knives.

Typically, I zip tie the knife through the spyder hole to keep them from opening and to let me know if someone has been tampering with them. I cut off the zip tie pretty close to where it is tightened down so someone will have a hard time slipping it lose and getting it back together.

I typically use a factory second for traveling.
But how do you cut the zip tie?!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I've got a trip next week to Indianapolis and I'm wondering what to do about the knife situation. I know I can't carry one on the plane but what about checked luggage. Is it true that they search checked luggage? Any reason why they would confiscate something like a pocket knife? I obviously don't want to lose a Spydie, but I'll be sure to bring something that I can easily replace if that happens.

I'll be crossing the border and I have a series of connecting flights. Any help is appreciated. Oh and on a side note I arranged the return flight home so that I have a layover in Denver so that I can swing out the the Spyderco head office :)
Nah, they won't confiscate them, but unfortunately someone will steal one sometimes. :( My dad had one stolen from his checked bag last year. I try to hide mine as best I can and locking them to the bag through the spydie hole is a good suggestion. I also choose to travel with my cheapest spydercos. No sprints and fancy stuff! :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

Clip wrote:But how do you cut the zip tie?!
That's a pretty good question, the last time I flew was January and I don't remember off the top of my head. Let me think it over.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

My brother had a Delica stolen out of his bag. Normally he puts it deep within like a shaving case, a sock, or something to slow people down. That time he just put it in an easy to grab pocket.

If you wanted to be a real jerk a tiny padlock would be awesome. ;)
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

For work reasons I travel a lot. And I mean A LOT. Both domestic and international, actually way more international flights.

I always put my blades in my checked baggage. The one that I EDC at the moment or the ones that I find and buy overseas.

Not even once I had any issue with them. But of course I would never put it easy and reachable for any bad habit luggage lurker...
:rolleyes:
Stay Sharp!
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

I check bags when I could otherwise use a carry on specifically because I want to have a knife with me. I don't travel as much as some here, but I have not had any issues. I have checked Sebenzas as well as Spydercos and Benchmades (even an inlay Sebenza, and a custom from Ray Laconico). If I am checking my .38 I put the knife in the locked gun case (which has a locked cable that wraps around the suitcase frame), but a lately I have not checked the .38 because of where I was going. If I don't have a locking case I bury it somewhere.

Another option that I have done before when I can is use a USPS flat rate box and mail one to where I was going, then mail it home when I leave. I print the labels before I leave.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I usually check a Pingo or D'Fly 2, as they are cheap and easily replaceable if stolen. My knife typically will go inside a small pocket of a backpack that is inside my luggage, so it isn't easily located should someone decide they want to take it. Hopefully that little bit of extra inconvenience in locating it causes any would-be-thieves to just give up and move on.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
rescueseven

Post by rescueseven »

My only experience is with the knife in the above photo. It was stolen from the Soldier in the photo, a combat veteran of both Viet Nam (note the Americal Division patch) and Operation Iraqi Freedom. The knife, an OIF Native engraved with the Soldiers rank and name, was stolen from his bags on a return trip to the states.

So, for goodness sake don't pack anything of value, sentimental or otherwise, in a checked bag.

R7
"Don't tempt me, I'll do a sprint run of it!" -Eric
"We've been working on this design for 10 years, unsuccessfully." -Sal
WTC #1398 Bless their souls
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I put a lock through the Spydie hole and right around the steel frame of the luggage. That way you have to use bolt cutters or break the steel frame of the luggage. I don't travel with any knife that doesn't have a Spydie hole large enough to put a lock through. I've used cable locks and combination locks.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thanks for the tips fellas. Looks like its a sneaky hiding spot in my luggage with a zip tie through the hole. Now...endura, delica, dfly, UKPK, or a standard Caly 3.5...decisions decisions.

R7, I'm really sorry to hear about the theft. Thats brutal.

@liquid_cobra
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I zip tie my bags and put a nail clipper in the outside pocket of the duffel. If TSA needs to check they will re-zip tie the bag. I think most theft is quick search through luggage. They can still use a ball point pen to get into the bag if they want but it discourages a quick zip search. In some international airports now I get my bags wrapped in plastic, costs a few bucks but deters sticky fingers. Locks are for honest people.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I almost always have a spydie in the checked luggage, in which case it is the first thing that comes out when I collect my bag on the other side. They can/do search checked bags I believe, but knives are most definitely allowed.
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

A simple solution is to zip tie your Spydie to the belt loop on a pair of your pants (in your checked bag). You can carry a pair of scissors (up to 4") in your carry on and use that to cut the zip tie when you arrive.