Which is a good Spyderco in case of coyote/wild dog attack?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Which is a good Spyderco in case of coyote/wild dog attack?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I would hope none of us would ever have to face this, but, I was reading about an increase in attacks on residents and visitors to areas with large parks and even the outskirts of urban areas, where coyotes have attacked them and their pets and children.

Regarding Spyderco knives, what is a good everyday carry Spyderco that would be useful if one had to fend off or even kill a coyote or aggressive wild dog that was intent on attacking you? Endura? Native? I took a look at the Tatanka, and that would be superb, but it is a large and not something some may carry as an EDC Spyderco. Some would. What do you all say? Pacific Salt?

Here is a paper from a few years ago about the increase of coyote attacks in suburban areas on people.

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewc ... text=vpc21
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:what is a good everyday carry Spyderco that would be useful if one had to fend off or even kill a coyote or aggressive wild dog that was intent on attacking you?
Boot.
All God's critters have knives.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Unless of course, my Conan, takes a dislike to you. In which case you're effed. :D

Here's him.

adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Sweet haircut
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
Sparki

Post by Sparki »

That's a pretty rad haircut. :D

In any case, I'm sure most of the 3.5"+ folders would do well. (Paramilitary/Military/Endura/Caly 3.5/Pacific Salt/Manix 2 or XL)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Back when I was working and had a quarter mile plus walk from our building to the parking garage, I carried a Civilian for a few weeks when one of the locals was walking a dog I considered to be a potential threat without a leash. Never had to use it, but it worked well as a security blanket.

FWIW, when I lived in an area with coyotes, my neighbors and I were more of a threat to them than they were to adult humans. They may have gone after small children, if given the chance, but chickens, ducks, cats, lambs, and kids (the 4 legged kind) were their usual targets and the primary reason we did our best to exterminate them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I believe Sal designed the Temperence 2 for attacks against mountain lions. Its a fixed blade of course. Folder wise I'd check out the Tatanka or Szabo, and the Manix 2 XL.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:what is a good everyday carry Spyderco that would be useful if one had to fend off or even kill a coyote or aggressive wild dog that was intent on attacking you?
The one you have on you. The one you can reach and open quickly. The one that you have the confidence to use. Look at what Ned just did with a Lava. Look at what the man did last year with the Caly.

So I'd say carry whatever you like to carry for your other EDC tasks and it will likely be "the best".
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
JBE

Post by JBE »

I hear Glock and Smith & Wesson both make a really nice tool for fending off and killing attacking animals... ;)

If that's not an option, then pepper spray/bear spray would be better than a knife because it allows you to maintain distance.

If you're dead set on a knife, then a larger folder like the Police, Endura, Military, Civilian, etc or a 4"+ fixed blade would be good choices.

I notice that the article pertains to California and is about 10 years old. I live in a very rural part of South Louisiana and coyotes and very common but attacks are not. In my experiences with them they are usually extremely skittish and tend to avoid people. Of course California is entirely different environment than Louisiana so that may have a lot to do with it.

YMMV depending on where you live, of course.
Jason
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Whichever knife you have in your pocket that you can deploy safely under a stressful situation, and don't slip with it.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

You're far more likely to hurt yourself than the coyote. Get a *good* pepper spray.
arty

Post by arty »

Dogs running loose are more of a problem than coyotes. When I loved in IL, friends south of town saw coyotes in their backyard. Nothing came of it. However, my wife was bitten and attacked by a big dog while walking our small pooch. The bite barely missed a large artery in my wife's leg. A neighbor was attacked by a different rogue pit bull while out in his yard. After the dog attack, I started carrying a 3 ft stick that I carved out of lignum vitae, pepper spray, and, of course a last resort pocket knife.
IL apparently has an unwritten "3 free bites rule" for dangerous dogs.
I often take walks with my wife, now that we have relocated to NC. Most people on my town seem to leash their dogs, or keep them under control. However, I always have a small EDC in my pocket, usually a Spyderco. In most places I have lived, I would be more concerned about poorly trained dogs running loose, or the 2 legged variety, than coyotes. Coyotes are more of a threat to pets than adults, but if I had a young child, I would watch the kid carefully in an area with known coyote populations.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

JBE wrote:I hear Glock and Smith & Wesson both make a really nice tool for fending off and killing attacking animals... ;)
This
JBE wrote:If that's not an option, then pepper spray/bear spray would be better than a knife because it allows you to maintain distance.
And that. http://www.kimberamerica.com/pepperblaster

We have a lot of coyotes. I run trails by myself. I never see them. My biggest scare was having two pit bulls, a huge one and a small one, charge me out of a driveway as I was running down the street. Silent. Scary. The big one was kept jumping up and bouncing his chest off me. I had trouble staying on my feet. The smaller one was circling around nipping and grabbing at my hands. I had a Centofante 4 on me. It didn't inspire much confidence, to say the least. I started walking, holding my hands tight to my chest, clutching the Centofante, and saying NO! in a very authoritative voice. I think they were playing. The owner must be a real jerk. Anyway, I made it about a block with them alternately pestering me violently and running through yards. Then the female ran in front of a car and got hit. During the distraction, I made my getaway. I went and bought some pepper spray ...

Gordon
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Warrior.

Basically in the event of a dog attack, your best bet is to allow them to bite your off hand forearm, then stab them with anything you're carrying. I've seen potentially deadly pit bull attacks ended this way, and though the person suffered bite wounds on their arm, they didn't get mauled to death.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:Warrior.

Basically in the event of a dog attack, your best bet is to allow them to bite your off hand forearm, then stab them with anything you're carrying. I've seen potentially deadly pit bull attacks ended this way, and though the person suffered bite wounds on their arm, they didn't get mauled to death.
^ This exactly. A last resort you obviously want to avoid. If it's a real concern, then bear spray is a good option.
JBE

Post by JBE »

Evil D wrote:Warrior.

Best bet? Why risk a bite that could potentially sever the brachial or radial arteries instead of something that allows you to keep your distance? Remember, the OP also asked about wild dogs and coyotes...there's a high risk of rabies that comes with those bites.
Jason
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

JBE wrote:Best bet? Why risk a bite that could potentially sever the brachial or radial arteries instead of something that allows you to keep your distance? Remember, the OP also asked about wild dogs and coyotes...there's a high risk of rabies that comes with those bites.
I'm pretty sure the implication was that this would be the "best bet" if you found yourself in the unfortunate situation of having nothing but a knife, not that a knife would be your best bet in this situation. Either way, I'm stepping out of this one as these threads seem to always get weird. Y'all enjoy. :)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Personally, when I'm on a walk in areas where I know there will be the potential for aggressive dogs or coyotes, I carry my collapsible 24" ASP baton in a belt sheath. It has prevented a potentially serious dog attack on my wife and I once before. That dog will never hurt anyone again. Ever.

TedP

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The arm is better than throat.
That wild animal is gonna be a lot quicker.
By giving up that arm his attention is off your throat
Then take the sharp blade and drop his **** guts out.
We all know a gun or spray is preferable but, this is considering knife only.
That's my take on it anyways. :)