MANBUG, super blue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mehhhhhhhh

Post by mehhhhhhhh »

You guys are killing me... I got a sb d'fly to blade swap with my g-10. Now it looks like I need a sb manbug too to put into g10. How was the swap? Any issues?

Jackknife, I still have your dragonfly blade swap post from the d'fly sb thread open in another tab. I can't wait to give it a shot this weekend.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

mehhhhhhhh wrote:You guys are killing me... I got a sb d'fly to blade swap with my g-10. Now it looks like I need a sb manbug too to put into g10. How was the swap? Any issues?

Jackknife, I still have your dragonfly blade swap post from the d'fly sb thread open in another tab. I can't wait to give it a shot this weekend.
Better be careful swapping those SB blades. It's hard to make them happy. My D'fly SB blade wasn't happy with it's new handle because the backspacer was the same color as the scales. So now I am making another one with an orange G-10 backspacer and the same blue kirinite scales from extra material. I bought the kirinite to make scales for the SB stretch but couldn't make it right now. So I did the D'fly. Now a second D'fly handle and enough left over for a set for my G-10 Manbug. :)

Oh yeah, I couldn't do the Stretch scales because I need a set of drill bits in wire guage sizes. I ordered them today so I will need more material for stretch scales. I may end up with no telling what handle on SB blades. :) This is cool I think.
mehhhhhhhh

Post by mehhhhhhhh »

Jackknife,
Any real issues with the swaps/any reason the backs spacers can't stay put if in using stock spyderco parts? I'm not ready to start answering every demand of these little knives... Although I did just get some g10 to try my hand at a techno backspacer..
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

For me with the Manbug swap, I did end up pulling all the body bolts and their tubes out but left the lanyard tube in so I could swivel and rotate the various parts around it and get better access to one half on the pivot area on the inside to set the really tiny bronze washers in there (don't lose those!!). There's no washers on the FRN version to lose on the inside (although there is a raised "washer" built into the mould of the FRN itself), just the two visible ones on each side of the pivot screw/tube on the outside. Thankfully my blades mated well just swapping them alone and not the lock bars too, but you may have to do so depending on the particular knives in hand.

Now I have a great grey FRN VG-10 Manbug to give to my brother in law who got a SB Endura last Xmas and I bet he'd appreciate it's a Frankenspyder, although I'll probably won't show him the G10 version for a while ;) . Hope that helps. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

mehhhhhhhh wrote:Jackknife,
Any real issues with the swaps/any reason the backs spacers can't stay put if in using stock spyderco parts? I'm not ready to start answering every demand of these little knives... Although I did just get some g10 to try my hand at a techno backspacer..
Swapping blades in the FRN models is not a big deal. The only thing like Radioactive said is sometimes you need to keep the lockbar paired with the blade. This has to do with how the lockbar sits against the blade when closed and how it fits in the notch in the blade tang when open. I had one that without keeping the lockbar with the blade it came with the lockbar didn't sit even and flush with the top of the handle. I'm only dealing with the backspacer because I'm making entire handles. The G-10 Manbug is different because it has liners. This means you can assemble it from one side of the knife to the other placing those LITTLE washers on the pivot pin as you go. I have to use washers on the one piece handles I make that replace the FRN handles. Therefore when I put a blade in the finished handle I have to put the pivot pin in the knife in steps. I have to get the first washer on the pin, then the blade, then the other washer and finally in the pivot hole in the other scale. This was difficult at first but I'm actually getting pretty fast at it now. :)

Take pictures of your backspacer job please. Post them on the "Show your mods" forum. Love to see the mods people do.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Just got my second SB Manbug today. This is the first time I have a knife I absolutely don't know what to do with. I checked it for opening/closing and sharpness. Like the others (mine and my son's) it is EXTREMELY SHARP. Even by Spyderco standards I think. However these knives have been sharpened I'd like it to become the standard for Spyderco factories. I only say that because some have come with uneven bevels and inconsistent sharpness. I'd call all Spyderco's sharp enough to do the job but some are just so much sharper. In addition to sharpness the Manbugs (and D'fly and Stretch SBs) all have even bevels. It seems that either they are all held in place by a machine instead of a person or the person is unbelieveably skilled. Great job of sharpening. Got off subject.

I got two SB D'fly's but one is for making handles and one I'm keeping as is even though it's a user. My first Manbug SB blade is now in my G-10 Manbug handle and in my pocket. I have no plans for the new Manbug. I guess it will stay in the box as a spare or safe queen. This is my first "extra" knife of any model. I only got the thing because the price was good. Less than my first one. It was one of those impulse purchases. It was even on ebya. I was shocked when I saw it.

Jack
RadioactiveSpyder

You're lucky Jack, I almost bought that one on eBay before you did! ;) . I agree the price was hard to beat! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:You're lucky Jack, I almost bought that one on eBay before you did! ;) . I agree the price was hard to beat! Cheers, Radioactive :)
I did a search for Manbugs on ebay because I was curious if any were there already for high prices. That was the only one I saw. I think the add said the seller had 3 and had sold 2. So I grabbed his last one. I have not seen a sprint run on ebay for good prices this close to when they were released. And never at a good price. I looked at the seller's other stuff and didn't see any prices that I thought were low that I recognized. He does have some hard to find knives though. He has a fluted titanium Military. It's almost MSRP but it's there. :)

I remember a thread asking for people's best deals they found. I don't have a story of a super inexpensive price for a knife but I'd say this is the luckiest purchase I'm made with knives. Anyway, now I have my first "extra" knife. :)

Jack
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

All this frankenbug talk has got me wanting to graft my super blue Endura blade into one of those cool looking foliage green G-10 Enduras that crop up on eBay from time to time ---> Frankendura :eek: ... gotta stop reading these threads :p
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

DougC-3 wrote:All this frankenbug talk has got me wanting to graft my super blue Endura blade into one of those cool looking foliage green G-10 Enduras that crop up on eBay from time to time ---> Frankendura :eek: ... gotta stop reading these threads :p
I really love having the ability to switch the parts of Spyderco knives. I have two objections to pinned knives. They have nothing to do with the performance of a knife. I like to be able to adjust the pivot. I love being able to put my preferred blade with my preferred handle. I like the G-10/bolster Manbug handle. I have had the ZDP blade in mine and now the SB blade. Who hasn't made a list of what they would want in their "perfect" knife? Blade steel, handle material, etc. Spyderco providing multiple sub-models of a model allows me to be one step closer to being able to build my preferred configuration of a favorite model. This is the next best thing to ordering a custome knife with my chosen features. I do need to buy more than one knife of the same model to create a frankenspydie of course. But, when I'm finished swapping whatever I still have two knives. This is not the case with a custom knife which is also more expensive (sometimes) than two of the models I bought to get a frankenspydie.

This is one more reason I have come to appreciate the Spyderco brand. I wonder how many items I could put on a "features of Spyderco I like" list? :)

Jack
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Too bad the Jester didn't work its way into the regular production Ladybug---->Endura series. I think it would look cool in gray or foliage green G-10 with super blue. Maybe Sal would be interested in a little-spydie sprintrun or two.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

jackknifeh wrote:I really love having the ability to switch the parts of Spyderco knives. I have two objections to pinned knives. They have nothing to do with the performance of a knife. I like to be able to adjust the pivot. I love being able to put my preferred blade with my preferred handle. I like the G-10/bolster Manbug handle. I have had the ZDP blade in mine and now the SB blade. Who hasn't made a list of what they would want in their "perfect" knife? Blade steel, handle material, etc. Spyderco providing multiple sub-models of a model allows me to be one step closer to being able to build my preferred configuration of a favorite model. This is the next best thing to ordering a custome knife with my chosen features. I do need to buy more than one knife of the same model to create a frankenspydie of course. But, when I'm finished swapping whatever I still have two knives. This is not the case with a custom knife which is also more expensive (sometimes) than two of the models I bought to get a frankenspydie.

This is one more reason I have come to appreciate the Spyderco brand. I wonder how many items I could put on a "features of Spyderco I like" list? :)

Jack
Before I stumbled onto Spydercos I seemed to think you needed one pocket knife to carry every day and maybe a "hunting knife" in the car or to take camping, fishing, hiking, etc. But my first Spyderco somehow reawakened the primordial affinity for knives I experienced for a few years as an adolescent. I think this is a real part of our early survival and evolution that finally developed into general tool use and technology. And it's only natural that it leads to the tendency to try to modify and improve them to get that ultimate knife or tool.

All my pre-spydies, I tended to whittle or sand on because they were mostly poorly designed, but up until recently, I've wanted to leave all my spydies as factory originals. But it seems, when your "collection" reaches critical mass, just like a ball of plutonium, it seems to spin off strange new variations :spyder: :p :spyder:
RadioactiveSpyder

DougC-3 wrote:Too bad the Jester didn't work its way into the regular production Ladybug---->Endura series. I think it would look cool in gray or foliage green G-10 with super blue. Maybe Sal would be interested in a little-spydie sprintrun or two.
I keep asking for the grey FRN SB Jester to finish out the SB sprint series. No comment yet from Sal and company. I'd really like all this talk of a Jester sprint run to come after this grey SB sprint comes out. Please Sal!?!
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

Who wants to swap my blades for me? SB manbug and g10. I will pay, and throw in a free knife. I'm looking at you Jackknife!!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

JerryIsAlive wrote:Who wants to swap my blades for me? SB manbug and g10. I will pay, and throw in a free knife. I'm looking at you Jackknife!!
I'll do it. No charge. If you want send me a PM.

Jack
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I keep asking for the grey FRN SB Jester to finish out the SB sprint series. No comment yet from Sal and company. I'd really like all this talk of a Jester sprint run to come after this grey SB sprint comes out. Please Sal!?!
I'm not trying to get the whole FRN SB series, but I'll definitely commit to buy a super blue Jester... that makes two... anybody else? :) (I think Jack would jump on one or two.)
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

jackknifeh wrote:I'll do it. No charge. If you want send me a PM.

Jack
Email sent