Battlestation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
stevekolt

Post by stevekolt »

Congrats to those that have been looking for them, and found them. Not my cup of tea though...
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection In The Home
GOA Lifetime Member
Knife Rights Charter Member
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Received mine today, it's very stout design and very much more comfortable in the hand than the angular design might lead you to believe.

Excellent fit and finish.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

Looks like a solid and quality knife .
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

Pinetreebbs wrote:Received mine today, it's very stout design and very much more comfortable in the hand than the angular design might lead you to believe.

Excellent fit and finish.
Congrats !
GCG199

Post by GCG199 »

I like the overall design.

I just wish that it was a 3.5-* to 4-inch blade.
My favorite Spyderco knives include: Caly 3.5, Chaparral, Delica 4 FFG, Stretch, Para-Military 2, Endura 4 FFG, Manix 2 & Manix 2 XL!

TANSTAAFL
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

Is there going to be a trick to sharpening that blade ? It looks like it might be difficult even with a Sharpmaker or Edge pro :eek:
From the pictures it looks like two seperate edges on one blade with a massive angle separating them .
I like it though looks wise it's very unique and aggressive .
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

DiALEX's designs are so expensive for what you are getting
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Junior wasn't so bad at around $120 when it came out. I have to say, the price tag of the Battlestation has bumped it down a few notches on my list. I still plan to get one, but I have patience.
:bug-red-white
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

gbelleh wrote:The Junior wasn't so bad at around $120 when it came out. I have to say, the price tag of the Battlestation has bumped it down a few notches on my list. I still plan to get one, but I have patience.
Looking back on it now it wasn't, but I remember when that came out Para 2s could be had for under $100.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

The grind on the BattleStation (And extra machining on the G10), being more complex than on the Junior or PM2, is likely one of the reasons for the higher price.

---> Branden
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

You know I was trying to figure out what it reminded me of and I figured it out .
It looks like a pissed off Yojombo 2 :D
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

TheFactor wrote:You know I was trying to figure out what it reminded me of and I figured it out .
It looks like a pissed off Yojombo 2 :D
More like the Yojimbo's smaller hotheaded cousin ;)

---> Branden
salmonkiller

Post by salmonkiller »

Rhinoknife is my nickname for this knife.
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

3rdGenRigger wrote:More like the Yojimbo's smaller hotheaded cousin ;)
salmonkiller wrote:Rhinoknife is my nickname for this knife.
LoL good ones !!
SpeedHoles

Re: Battlestation

Post by SpeedHoles »

Anybody else recently warm up to one of these?

I thought it was horribly tackytical at first... but for some reason recently it keeps catching my attention.

Looking for some more comparison pics with other knives, and some in-hand pics. Thanks.

One of these might be a great candidate for some custom micarta scales or something...?
Going back to Caly.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I recently had new shred carbon fiber scales made for mine. They're a little thicker, and also a little more rounded and contoured, and the ergonomic difference is quite a lot better to my hand. I do have medium-large hands with long fingers so this could all be personal preference. I like them a lot though. I don't really have good photos but I'll try to get some better ones soon that I can throw into here. I've carried mine a few times in the last few weeks at work (I try to rotate through my knives), and I'm really liking the change. I liked it a lot before, but with the new slightly differently shaped scales it's a whole new animal. I think that the difference is mainly from a philosophy of use perspective if that makes any sense. It's a capable knife for a lot of different usages, but the philosophy of use regarding self defence is different than that of construction work usage.

---> Branden
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

This is one of those designs that I feel might have gotten pigeon holed into the SD category (mainly because of the name) but prove quite practical in certain real world use. I don't own one but I have a Yojimbo 2 and Lil Matriarch and both have proven to be cutting tools with abilities that reach far beyond their self defense designations.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

^ No doubt about it, I agree.
Dialex's more recent knife naming hasn't seemingly done the models much good as far as reaching out to broader spectrums. I freaking love the Junior for food prep and similar cutting... but many probably just played it off because of the name.

Anybody else take a look at the proto Tighe Stick upcoming collaboration when photos got posted all over last spring? I remember, to my surprise, how many people were drooling over that and designating it a "must have". I personally did not find it attractive, but I can see minor resemblances to this Battlestation - the blade grind, the deep choil, and how it appears when folded...

Thanks for that pic, Branden. I see you may have been thinking something similar there! Would love to see more photos when you get a chance.

...not sure if it's something I'd actually do, but I'm curious what one would look like with some of that handle mid hump ground down, and if the scales covered the lanyard tube.
Going back to Caly.
palonej

Post by palonej »

LOVE the new scales Branden!! They make an already cool looking blade even cooler!!
Joe