Manix 2 Blue Lightweight (C101BL2) * DISSENTERS *, "HATERS" , your thoughts please...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

TheFactor wrote:That's strange because both my Manix 2 LW The transparent Blue and Drk BLue with the s110v have very smooth action and feel very solid . The lock up feels very strong to and I've had a few fellow knife lovers check them out and even commented how good and smooth the action felt .Personally love mine and they carry great there the most comfortable out of all my Spydies . I think Spyderco did a great job on these balancing out strength and yet still being very solid .

+1
"Rules are for the adherence of fools, and the guidance of wise men". Except in a pandemic....
Military Kapara, Brouwer, UKPK (GIN1 CE, HH g10 & s110v), Delica IV SG, Caly 3 SE, Kiwi4, Lil Matriarch, Endura SG & SEW, Dragonfly Hap40, Manbug ZDP189 & SB, Ladybug 2, Vtoku & HB, Stretch HAP40, Squeak, Squeak Ti, Chicago440C, Ikuchi, Byrd Tern, Watu, Chaparral Stealth Ti, Manix XL & Rex45 G10, Shaman ZCarta, Wolfspyder, NC cf, N5 M4,
free2game

Post by free2game »

TheFactor wrote:That's strange because both my Manix 2 LW The transparent Blue and Drk BLue with the s110v have very smooth action and feel very solid . The lock up feels very strong to and I've had a few fellow knife lovers check them out and even commented how good and smooth the action felt .Personally love mine and they carry great there the most comfortable out of all my Spydies . I think Spyderco did a great job on these balancing out strength/lightweight and yet still being very solid .
It doesn't feel that bad, but the blade on my Manix 2 XL drops free and falls while the lightweight doesn't. The grind on my Lightweight is also very uneven and the edge is also uneven. Though the edge on the XL wasn't even either before I reprofiled it, but it has the opposite problem. The edge on the LW is much more acute toward the tip and the edge on the XL was more obtuse near the tip. I think the big problem is that QC is slipping at Spyderco, and knives with bad grinds or ****ed up tolerances are getting out. Also I was really really unimpressed with the BD1 steel, it doesn't hold an edge compared to AUS8 (in a cold steel which is annealed and cryo treated), 14c28n, or even 420hc (granted that's from a Buck, who run the steel harder). Then again the action on my LW Manix 2 feels kind of odd. It's very easy to flick out and open, but it stalls up a lot and feels more difficult to close.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Thx EvilD for the youtube vid, very nice tip, it goes through like hot butter :)

[video=youtube;6Up6q6WiHXs]https://youtu.be/6Up6q6WiHXs[/video]
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

IG-88 wrote:Thx EvilD for the youtube vid, very nice tip, it goes through like hot butter :)

[video=youtube;6Up6q6WiHXs]https://youtu.be/6Up6q6WiHXs[/video]
No problem, I have a thread in progress covering how the knife did. My son decided to count how many cuts I made, last I checked he was over 700 and wasn't half way through the pile :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Evil D wrote:No problem, I have a thread in progress covering how the knife did. My son decided to count how many cuts I made, last I checked he was over 700 and wasn't half way through the pile :D
Thanks for mentioning it -- I've got a bad habit of just reading threads I get emails about from my subscribed threads.
It's right here.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
steelcity16

Re:

Post by steelcity16 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu May 08, 2014 4:27 pm
Evil D wrote:Not gonna lie, if I could get the S110V in clear FRCN, I would jump all over it.

HAH!! Disregard all my previous drivel! That clear is pretty **** cool looking!! :rolleyes: ;)

When is someone going to do a clear FCRP Exclusive? :eek: Pretty darn cool looking.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Re: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight (C101BL2) * DISSENTERS *, "HATERS" , your thoughts please...

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Agreed, I think it looks cool. A few of us have requested it quite a few times. I also started a thread once about clear handle scales. I have seen a Buck110 with Lexan scales and thought it looked cool.

A lot of people commented that clear knives would just look dirty after a while and that Lexan would scratch too easily. I can see both being true. Still, I would buy a clear ManixLW or clear Native5LW. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
olywa

Re: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight (C101BL2) * DISSENTERS *, "HATERS" , your thoughts please...

Post by olywa »

Very happy owner of a transluscent blue Manix 2 LW here. I also own a G10 and a Backlock. Of the three, my LW easily gets the most carry time. To my mind it just hits an EDC sweet spot for utility and carry-ability that the other two do not. The G10 and the Backlock are noticeably heavier and their S30V blades may hold an edge longer but I can get the BD1 blade much sharper with a lot less effort.

My LW fills the need for a larger blade EDC without a weight penalty. I swapped the wire clip out for a deep-carry wire clip and it just disappears in my pocket. The ffg and slick finish on the BD1 blade makes it a great knife for food prep as well. I've had the knife for several years now and it has seen a lot of use but it still looks like new.

I love the transluscent FRCP and have been curious as to why Spyderco hasn't offered it in other colors and models. I wonder if sales of the blue LW have been anemic and just don't justify expanded offerings? That would be a shame because clear, orange and chartreuse would be real attractive on the Manix 2 LW and on the Native 5 as well. I also wonder if the BD1 steel is going to be upgraded to BD1N? Maybe that would be an opportunity to offer some new transluscent colors too.
ferider

Post by ferider »

I have a hard time deciding which one of these is my favorite, but they don't include a light-weight.

Roland.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm still hopeful for a translucent dark gray or "smoke" FRCP that has been mentioned before. Seems like a Cruwear lightweight sprint would be a good fit and a big seller?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

abbazaba wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:47 am
I'm still hopeful for a translucent dark gray or "smoke" FRCP that has been mentioned before. Seems like a Cruwear lightweight sprint would be a good fit and a big seller?

Yes please! Native LW and Manix LW. Agree that it would be a big seller. DLC would look awesome with clear FRCP as well. Maybe they could do a run of half DLC half stonewash. This would be a good exclusive for BHQ to pick up now that it seems like they don't have any models left for their M4/Jade runs.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I have the S110V Manix Lightweight and it is an excellent work knife. I understand where Surfgringo is coming from on the FRCP. I, too, prefer the feel of FRN in my hand, but the FRCP holds up very well under steady use for a few years now. And I love the wire clip; it is much friendlier than the stamped clip, whether in hand or in pocket.
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

ferider wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:02 am
I have a hard time deciding which one of these is my favorite, but they don't include a light-weight.
Do you have a scale? I'd be interested to know what they weigh. They look a lot heavier than a G10 manix, but that might not really be true.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

From all of the comments from people who have and love the Manix I would say it is an excellent knife. I’ve tried the LW Manix. I wanted to like it but I don’t. The FRCP is fine with me but the knife just doesn’t “fit” me. It doesn’t do well with my hand. Much thinner given its size than I like, and too tall. I also never got comfortable with the lock. It was a bit awkward to operate for me.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'd buy a cru-wear manix lw like that *snaps fingers*
A CPM-154 variant would also be nice.

I'd also buy the brown XHP manix lw if Knife Center ever re-orders. I really would like it but secondary market prices are too high for what it is. I'm sad I missed that one as I could see myself using that all the time.

Really, I'd buy any manix lw in a mid range steel. The bd1 is fine but I'd prefer a step up and the s110v or s90v are also great but I'd prefer more sharpenability.
XHP, CRU-Wear, CPM154, s30v, and even 204p would be must buys for me, regardless of color (probably in that order).

I'm fine with the ergos and feel.
Last edited by knivesandbooks on Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:36 am
I'd buy a cru-wear manix lw like that *snaps fingers*
As CPM-154 would also be nice.

I'd also buy the brown XHP manix lw if Knife Center ever re-orders. I really would like it but secondary market prices are too high for what it is. I'm sad I missed that one as I could see myself using that all the time.

Really, I'd buy any manix lw in a mid range steel. The bd1 is fine but I'd prefer a step up and the s110v or s90v are also great but I'd prefer more sharpenability.

I'm fine with the ergos and feel.

I'm with ya. I will probably end up grabbing a Manix LW Maxamet down the road if no new Maxamet models pop up and no new Manix LW models pop up. Preferably I'd get a Millie in Maxamet and a Manix LW in something like Cruwear/4V/3V. Id also be VERY interested in a Manix LW Salt in LC200N. Whether that is the current version or a LW version of the Manix Backlock. Either one.
ferider

Post by ferider »

guywithopinion wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:18 am
ferider wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:02 am
Do you have a scale? I'd be interested to know what they weigh. They look a lot heavier than a G10 manix, but that might not really be true.
These are Aluminum scales, so their weight is comparable to G10. The black S90V and orange Frankenstein Maxamet Manix (originally a black S30V/G10 copy) have full liners and are heavier than the S110V one (original sceleton liners). I can do weight comparisons when I'm home tonight.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have a back lock and it is wider than the LW. It is a great knife and if I had to choose one knife, this would be it. However, I have two lightweights, a translucent blue and an orange Cutlery Shop exclusive. Both are simply great and I put one of these in my pocket daily. They fit even my large hand very well. I am hoping for more translucent colors. I would prefer they start with a translucent orange or emerald green.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:18 am
I have a back lock and it is wider than the LW. It is a great knife and if I had to choose one knife, this would be it. However, I have two lightweights, a translucent blue and an orange Cutlery Shop exclusive. Both are simply great and I put one of these in my pocket daily. They fit even my large hand very well. I am hoping for more translucent colors. I would prefer they start with a translucent orange or emerald green.
Emerald green if transluscent or olive deal with black blade otherwise. Hope they give a steel choice somewhere between bd1 and s110v **xhp**cough**
Last edited by knivesandbooks on Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Yep, I’ve been holding out for Manix 2 Lightweight in Cruwear. I’d like smoky semi translucent to set it apart from the Maxamet gray. I’d also like a semi translucent Forrest Green in a simpler steel like CPM-154 or AEB-L