Sharpening my Manbug, ZDP-189. 30 degree or 40 degree with a Sharpmaker.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
weetoots

Sharpening my Manbug, ZDP-189. 30 degree or 40 degree with a Sharpmaker.

Post by weetoots »

I read the instructions BUT, I have a good sharp blade with the 40 degree setting. Will I get a better edge with the 30 degree setting. I have the two brown and two white triangles that came with the Sharpmaker, plus I bought the ultra fine, 204 UF1.

Nice knife fits my big hand well.
MGREP, C10PSBBK
Paddy B

Post by Paddy B »

I like the 30 degree setting with a 40 degree micro bevel. It makes touch ups so much quicker and easier, in my experience.
DLC Paramilitary 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V hollow ground, Delica 4 stainless with custom engraving, green frn delica 4 ffg, blue frn delica 4 ffg, orange frn endura 4 ffg, Gayle Bradley
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Paddy B wrote:I like the 30 degree setting with a 40 degree micro bevel. It makes touch ups so much quicker and easier, in my experience.
This.
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." -----Sal Glesser
NorthernPanda

Post by NorthernPanda »

Let me start this reply with this: I'm no expert and don't even own a manbug. My understanding is that ZDP will be able to hold a more acute angle without rolling an edge. So if you are not doing heavy duty cutting, and let's face it this is a manbug, I would try 30.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. ― Mark Twain

EDC: 2013 Forum Native:spyder: .or. Resilience and SC52w flashlight - Lovin' it.
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Unless the edge is close to 30 already reprofiling ZDP with the brown stones will take a very long time. If you are happy now stay on 40 until you find someone with some diamond stones.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Paddy B wrote:I like the 30 degree setting with a 40 degree micro bevel. It makes touch ups so much quicker and easier, in my experience.
I also go with this.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
NorthernPanda

reprofiling ZDP

Post by NorthernPanda »

Gerard Breuker wrote:Unless the edge is close to 30 already reprofiling ZDP with the brown stones will take a very long time. If you are happy now stay on 40 until you find someone with some diamond stones.
I had to re-profile my 2013 forum native S110V and trying to do it, or ZDP, with the standard Sharpmaker stones would take forever. I bought a small, thin diamond stone that I laid on top of the Sharpmaker rod. It re-profiled quite fast that way.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. ― Mark Twain

EDC: 2013 Forum Native:spyder: .or. Resilience and SC52w flashlight - Lovin' it.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Weetoots,

Welcome to our forum.

I uses 30 for ZDP.

sal
weetoots

Post by weetoots »

Thanks all. Good info. I'll work my way toward 30.
Mr. Sal, thanks for the welcome.
MGREP, C10PSBBK