Pingo Vs. Really Big Box

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
markg

Pingo Vs. Really Big Box

Post by markg »

Got my Pingo a few weeks ago, and have been using it during that time. Now up front I have to tell you I love slipjoints and I especially love the UKPK. If you don't have one, why not? Anyway, got the Pingo in and really found it interesting.

About a week in, I was breaking down a box for recycling, and though... Gee the next time I get a really big box, I am going to use the Pingo and document it.

Breaking down cardboard to fit into my recycling bin is one of the most common and frankly most demanding tasks my EDC will face on a normal basis. Cardboard is pretty hard on blades we all know. So I got a grill to assemble a week ago, and so fed it to the Pingo.

Had a good pile of cardboard to break down, and some of it was the thick double walled kind. When I break down boxes I cut them into small squares, maybe 8-10 inches square. Or 8-10 inch long, 3-5 inches long. So I set to work.

Impressions? The Pingo has a unique blade profile, it makes an excellent slicer, and at the beginning I could practically push cut the whole length of the cardboard. Everything went well. The sheepsfoot style blade, with the upswept tip does allow more utility than a straight sheepsfoot would allow, and the tip was useful for exact cuts. I have said before and I will say again, for most tasks a lock is not needed, and if you know your blade can close on you, you plan for it, or don't do things that would make it happen. Grew up with slipjoints, you learn this quick. One of the problems with them, however, is when you get the blade wedged down in the cardboard, you need to watch that you can't really pull up, as the handle will fold. In most cases this is not an issue as the blade is in the cardboard and will not result in injury. The Pingo has stronger spring, or maybe it is because it has a smaller blade than the UKPK and less leverage? Either way I want to try this out with the Pingo as it will happen with the UKPK. You can make it happen with the Pingo is you pull up sharply but seemed to be less prone to this than the UKPK. Again, par for the course you know it will happen and deal with it.

The knife did dull during the process, which I knew it would. It was not factory sharp to begin with, but it did dull pretty noticeably by the end. Cuts were not as clean and took more effort. Still sharp enough to do more work but will not shave hair.

The champion on the mountain of cardboard...

Overall I like this knife, it is a clear winner if you are in need of a knife in a highly knife sensitive environment, size, shape, and blade profile will make it a winner in such places. But it clearly can do some serious work if need be. The point will poke things, but the unsharpened forward portion of the blade will push the blade down as it enters material. The only thing I would change is a nail nick on the blade. I know it was not designed to open one handed, however a nail nick would preserve that but make it easier to open. Right now you have to pinch the blade with your fingers and I can see some situations where that could be an issue. Maybe even the scallops (like on the really old Jess Horn), however that may not preserve the strict two hand opening option. Also you do lose the 50/50 choil of the UKPK, and I did miss it some. There is an unsharpened, jimmped part of the lower tang under the index finger, and it sort of works the same, but also not the same.

All in all, a winner. Especially if you are in the market for a small, light, utility knife that will not scare the masses.

The Pingo taking a break from work...

Holland

Post by Holland »

awesome thread! thanks for sharing
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

The Pingo is a very sweet little model. Outstanding given the parameters of design, quality of material and workmanship, usefulness and aesthetics :D It's one of those super values for some that so often get overlooked :eek: It gets a bit more fun for me with a bit less edge angle :D
Attachments
pingo.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

What total length of cut do you think you made?

I did a similar thing a few weeks ago using my Bradley folder. I had more and larger boxes than you had and I just cut them into 15" wide strips so they would all fit into one box. I estimated about 100 linear foot of cut total. It dulled the GBF quite a bit, at least it was dull by my standards. A little stropping and it felt like it had a pretty good edge for using, but wouldn't shave or slice thin paper. I would like to repeat that test with the S110V to see how it does, but I'll have to wait for my wife to accumulate more big boxes, and I'll have to find one of the knives in stock somewhere to buy it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Pingo is a really nice "unscary" knife. I bought one for a trip to a large city in California and was really surprised by how impressive a tool it was.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Mark,

Good to "see" ya bud. It's been a few years huh?

I never would have guessed you for a slippy lover. I am too actually. I may have to pick one of these up. I've been on the fence for a while. How does the N690Co hold up? It is supposed to be better than 154CM but I have no experience with it.

Thanks for the writeup. Pleasure to read, and good pics too. You still down south (in Ohio)?
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

I've been carrying a Pingo for about a month, off and on. I love it. It does 99.9% of the work I need done.
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
knolan

Post by knolan »

Thanks for your comments markg. I have always loved the modified wharnie/sheepsfoot blade shape and overall size of the Pingo but have hesitated buying due to my dislike for FRN and I'm not a huge slippy fan. It always reminded me a little of a small Rock Lobster and/or somewhat of the Marcin Slysz "Spydechef" concept with lesser materials.

I'm truly excited that Sal has stated that a Sprint run Pingo w/Ti & Elmax is in the works for a future date...that will definitely overcome my slight hesitancy for slippies and for me, would make a great EDC folder!
markg

Post by markg »

David Lowry wrote:Mark,

Good to "see" ya bud. It's been a few years huh?

I never would have guessed you for a slippy lover. I am too actually. I may have to pick one of these up. I've been on the fence for a while. How does the N690Co hold up? It is supposed to be better than 154CM but I have no experience with it.

Thanks for the writeup. Pleasure to read, and good pics too. You still down south (in Ohio)?
Thanks Dave,

Actually I live up North now, Northwest Ohio. A couple miles south of Maumee Bay on Lake Erie. I grew up with slipjoints, my first knife was a Craftsman Scount Knife from Sears. My step-dad at the time bought it for me. Lost over time, but recently my mother gave me the exact knife that had been my grandfathers. As an adult my first knives were all traditional slipjoints. I remember spending hours pouring over "Levine's Guide to Knives and Their Values" (great reference if you can get it) learning all the differnet patterns and such. Sort of getting back into them as I get older. For just good old fashion work, they are all you need. Now a tactical folder that might see other tasks I go for a locking knife. I normally carry two blades, a small one in the weak side pocket and a larger blade strong side. The smaller blade does the cutting of everyday stuff, the larger one for emergency work (as I get older that is less and less "self-defense" and more and more medical emergencies or accident intervention). Have had an example of most of the Spyderco Slipits with a couple of exceptions. Sold off a G-10 drop point UKPK last year, and do I miss it. The G-10/S30V was the cat's pajamas... As for the steel on the Pingo, seems like good stuff to me, hard to tell is it is better or worse than 154CM unless I did the exact same thing at the exact same time.

A Ti/Elmax Pingo? I'm in!!!

As for the length of cuts, I cut the cardboard into 8 inch squares most of the time, other times it was maybe a foot strip that was 5 inches wide. Depends on where it was on the box. I have to put them into a recycle bin that is one of those large rolling garbage cans.