Force Feed The Techno

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I purchased mine on reputation alone. It was very unique in the Spyderco lineup and I'm a titanium framelock lover. It grew on me quickly because for general EDC use, it's near perfection. The clip allows you to take it out quickly and put away just as quickly (instead of fumbling with tighter clips). The blade deploys smoothly, has enough length to cut anything I've needed and I can deploy plus fold it back up more easily than most other knife I've tried. Generally, when I cut something, I hold what I'm cutting in my left hand, grab my knife and deploy with my right hand, but when I put it away I'm still holding things often enough so being able to do easily with one hand really comes in handy. On some other knives you can do this, Benchmade knives come to mind...but with the Techno you have full control of the blade when closing the knife so accidentally cutting one's self should never occur.

As for suggestions...I don't know that any are really needed. It's a well thought out design.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

My first knife was a PM2, which I picked up on price and hype. It lived up to the expectations, but was a lot larger than I expected, especially for my intended EDC use in a suburban office setting. It was also the black DLC model, so I was hesitant to use it. It was pretty large for my pockets (not to mention chewed some holes into my jeans).

This led me to refine my preferences: small (=< 3" blade), narrow (handle width), hump-free, and simple/efficient design without being too delicate. Essentially, I think I wanted a Small Sebenza, but without the price tag.

A search for Sebenza alternatives, specifically Spydercos, brought the Techno to my attention. I thought the Techno looks stubby, awkwardly fat, and unwieldy in photos at first. Glowing reviews aside, it didn't catch my eye until I saw some photos of the Techno in context, in action, and in comparisons with the PM2. With nearly the same handle width and thickness, much more blade to handle ratio, my trepidation about the Techno's stubbiness was put to rest.

In hand, it is surprisingly comfortable for a pair of metal slabs, thanks to the chamfers and stonewash. It has one of the most comfortable Spydey-holes to use, and such gentle spine edges. My hands aren't even remotely large, so the Techno works for me in a variety of grips (traditional, pinch). Its thick spine makes it easy to get a thumb or forefinger on it for controlled cuts, but it also means it's not a particularly efficient fruit slicer. In pocket, it's small enough that I sometimes forget it's there (jeans, suit pants, PJ pants). The clip is a potential weakness (slight wiggle), but kind to your pants and discreet.

Opening the Techno takes a bit of practice due to the limited handle real estate to brace against. The hole cutout terminates in a rather sharp corner, as does the RIL cutout. Regardless of those nitpicks, the Techno oozes such quality (Taichung fit and finish) that its price doesn't feel so onerous.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

This thread annoys me! I have handled the techno twice and both times I've been completely unimpressed with the ergos and have passed, yet here I am thinking I need to give it a third try! :rolleyes:
gph

Post by gph »

hoimin wrote:My first knife was a PM2, which I picked up on price and hype. It lived up to the expectations, but was a lot larger than I expected, especially for my intended EDC use in a suburban office setting. It was also the black DLC model, so I was hesitant to use it. It was pretty large for my pockets (not to mention chewed some holes into my jeans).hello

This led me to refine my preferences: small (=< 3" blade), narrow (handle width), hump-free, and simple/efficient design without being too delicate. Essentially, I think I wanted a Small Sebenza, but without the price tag.

A search for Sebenza alternatives, specifically Spydercos, brought the Techno to my attention. I thought the Techno looks stubby, awkwardly fat, and unwieldy in photos at first. Glowing reviews aside, it didn't catch my eye until I saw some photos of the Techno in context, in action, and in comparisons with the PM2. With nearly the same handle width and thickness, much more blade to handle ratio, my trepidation about the Techno's stubbiness was put to rest.

In hand, it is surprisingly comfortable for a pair of metal slabs, thanks to the chamfers and stonewash. It has one of the most comfortable Spydey-holes to use, and such gentle spine edges. My hands aren't even remotely large, so the Techno works for me in a variety of grips (traditional, pinch). Its thick spine makes it easy to get a thumb or forefinger on it for controlled cuts, but it also means it's not a particularly efficient fruit slicer. In pocket, it's small enough that I sometimes forget it's there (jeans, suit pants, PJ pants). The clip is a potential weakness (slight wiggle), but kind to your pants and discreet.

Opening the Techno takes a bit of practice due to the limited handle real estate to brace against. The hole cutout terminates in a rather sharp corner, as does the RIL cutout. Regardless of those nitpicks, the Techno oozes such quality (Taichung fit and finish) that its price doesn't feel so onerous.
That sharp corner in the hole cut out was one of the things that I appreciated over time. It allows for a good index finger grip and a large opening hole the correct distance from the pivot.

To the OP, I think the Techno grows on people because it's so well thought out. For example with my hand size, my index finger is very close to the blade. However, the angle of the index finger location and the angle at the heel of the blade edge are apposed. I can move freely from opening to gripping without fear of getting nicked.
knolan

Post by knolan »

I think those that expect the Techno to have perfect ergos and generally are off-put by the thick spine, acute grind, etc., are perhaps missing the point of this particular folder. To me it's an esoteric Ti frame-lock of such spectacular build quality, F&F and materials that it easily holds it's own with many customs and mid-techs...only with even better XHP steel (in many cases), and actually cuts stuff well *(something not all customs always do)...AND at a fraction of the cost of a Michael Burch, Jared Price, Steven Karroll, or even a Sebbie. That, in essence, is what makes this knife such a stand out to me....it's a very cool knife that oozes quality and cuts a lot of things well, and that's plenty.

The fact that it can't slice apples and generally process food as well as a chef's knife, or lefties don't like it, is of remote concern to me.
gph

Post by gph »

Surfingringo wrote:This thread annoys me! I have handled the techno twice and both times I've been completely unimpressed with the ergos and have passed, yet here I am thinking I need to give it a third try! :rolleyes:
Did you try the ergos with the clip removed? The ergos felt a little off to me as well until I removed the clip.
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Does anyone else with a Techno think I have the wrong clip? I bought it on a forum, and I think the seller made a clip swap because mine doesn't look bead-blasted/stonewashed.

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

knolan wrote:I think those that expect the Techno to have perfect ergos and generally are off-put by the thick spine, acute grind, etc., are perhaps missing the point of this particular folder. To me it's an esoteric Ti frame-lock of such spectacular build quality, F&F and materials that it easily holds it's own with many customs and mid-techs...only with even better XHP steel (in many cases), and actually cuts stuff well *(something not all customs always do)...AND at a fraction of the cost of a Michael Burch, Jared Price, Steven Karroll, or even a Sebbie. That, in essence, is what makes this knife such a stand out to me....it's a very cool knife that oozes quality and cuts a lot of things well, and that's plenty.

The fact that it can't slice apples and generally process food as well as a chef's knife, or lefties don't like it, is of remote concern to me.
Hey Knolan, I think you just nailed it. I think the techno is simply not what I'm looking for in a knife. That does not keep me from appreciating it's build and quality every time I handle it, but that appreciation simply hasn't been enough to make me want to own it. It is however enough to always make me wonder if maybe, just maybe I should try it again! ;)
gph wrote:Did you try the ergos with the clip removed? The ergos felt a little off to me as well until I removed the clip.
I didn't. I think I just get turned off when I hold it and try to imagine what I would actually DO with the thing. Everyone's uses are different and I can imagine how the techno would seem like the perfect little knife for some.

And despite all my bluster I'll probably end up buying one before it's all over. :rolleyes: The knife is beautiful and probably has a high fondle value if nothing else. :D
gph

Post by gph »

Surfingringo wrote:And despite all my bluster I'll probably end up buying one before it's all over. :rolleyes: The knife is beautiful and probably has a high fondle value if nothing else. :D
LOL true
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

I was torn between making a new thread or not, since we're already all talking techno here. So, couple more questions. And hey, pics I guess.

On a scale of 1 to going insane, how worried should I be about this dent, which the seller didn't let me know about?

And lastly, on the face of the tang, (the part the locks with the RIL) only a small part of the surface is shiny, meaning actually contacting the lock bar. That is the dark part in the pic. Is this normal? Is this the father of lock-rock?

knolan

Post by knolan »

Scorpion wrote:Does anyone else with a Techno think I have the wrong clip? I bought it on a forum, and I think the seller made a clip swap because mine doesn't look bead-blasted/stonewashed.

Looks like you might have a Sage 2 clip there? Not to worry it'll eventually look stonewashed with enough carry...or you could just buy a Techno clip if you're bothered by it.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey scorpion, from what I've seen on my RIL's I think that's pretty normal for the lock. And as far as that tiny knick, I would definitely give that a 1. :)
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

If it's a user I wouldn't sweat it at all...it's a character mark. I have a nick about half the size on the frame right near the top of the pocket clip from when it got pushed accidentally off my desk onto the tile floor...doesn't bother me in the least. And the machining on the tang looks exactly the same on mine, and mine locks up WAY earlier than the end of the machining...mine locks up at ~20% and is SUPER solid.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

If it seems hard to open you're probably holding it in a way that pushes the lockbar closed...try holding it with just index finger and pinky when you open with your thumb and it's about 3 times as easy...if you're not flicking it open with your thumb. The detent is strong enough that it just sails open with no wrist movement if you get it right...have to flick your thumb a little more sideways than you're used to with other Spydercos.

---> Branden
LC Kid

Maybe the Best Knife in the World isn't the Best Knife for You.

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

The Techno put a landmark in the cutlery world.
:) It just took the F&F to a whole new level in the production cutlery industry, and that's a proved fact. :spyder: The capabilities of the Techno as an EDC knife are just way over anything else. The amount of people (including me) that took out of their pockets or even sold their Customs or their Sebs are not to be lightly considered.

That said, the Techno doesn't have to be the right knife for you. One thing is the Techno being such an awesome blade, and another one is it being the blade that fulfill your expectations. You might be used to carry larger blades, or maybe you prefer thinner blades. I know about like a trillion people who think that they should be EDCing +4" blades 24/7, simply because those are 'better blades'. Yeah right.
:rolleyes: At the end of the day, the most important thing is to define what is the best kind of blade for YOU. And then go get yourself a couple of them. :D
Stay Sharp!
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

It's also very sheeple friendly. I'm not a south paw, but I'm ambidextrous enough that I wan write with my left hand neatly, if a tad slower than with my right. I'm a little surprised that Spyderco doesn't make a left handed version of the Techno...given that the backspacer would stay the same, and no liners etc. make the machining conversion to south paw less difficult than it would be for other models...like the left handed Military run they did...machining out the opposite scale for the recessed liner, and opposite liner lock seem like it would be more work. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of south paws on this forum either...maybe it's just me...

---> Branden
mark jeneson

Post by mark jeneson »

I love the Techno more than any other knife I've ever owned. F&F cannot be beat. Sharpness. Steel. I love it.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Interesting thread. Thank you!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Surfingringo wrote:This thread annoys me! I have handled the techno twice and both times I've been completely unimpressed with the ergos and have passed, yet here I am thinking I need to give it a third try! :rolleyes:
*swinging a pocketwatch slowly in front of Surfingringo*

"You're getting sleepy... Very sleepy..." :D

All jesting aside, the Techno is by far one of my favorite go-to EDC blades. My wife gave me the Techno as a birthday present a while back. (At first I thought it was going to be a Leafstorm :rolleyes :) . After carrying it for a few days, I immediately fell in love with the stout blade, over-built lock, and beefy frame. Even the ergos melt into my hand--and I wear size XL in gloves. Of course, I'm a real sucker for all Little Big Knives--I love 'em all. I also love the deep carry wire clip; I hardly know I'm even carrying it! In all honesty, I'd take my Techno over my small Sebenza 21 any day of the week. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

What's not to love about the Techno? I'll admit it's a creeper though, I didn't like it much at first either and had to carry it for weeks before I "got" it (and only then did I finally understand the hype). It sets a very high bar in the F&F department for not only Spyderco, but the whole industry. Can't wait for the big brother Bowie!

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King