Force Feed The Techno

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I got a glow in the dark back spacer from Cuscadi. It's pretty nice, but the Techno isn't my all time favorite knife.

I'm curious to see how this thread and your experience with the Techno turn out.

I also got an Orange one on accident when I thought they said they could make an orange glow in the dark back spacer.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Sully

Post by Sully »

3rdGenRigger wrote:It's also very sheeple friendly. I'm not a south paw, but I'm ambidextrous enough that I wan write with my left hand neatly, if a tad slower than with my right. I'm a little surprised that Spyderco doesn't make a left handed version of the Techno...given that the backspacer would stay the same, and no liners etc. make the machining conversion to south paw less difficult than it would be for other models...like the left handed Military run they did...machining out the opposite scale for the recessed liner, and opposite liner lock seem like it would be more work. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of south paws on this forum either...maybe it's just me...

Not just you!

A southpaw Techno, now that would dial up the interesting factor way more than colored backspacers. A Left Hand Techno would sell so much better than the LH Military, too. As an EDC, a Military is, well, often overkill for many of us. Hope Sal....or Eric?!... do the 'LEFT thing' again soooooon!
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
Sully

Post by Sully »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I'd be a happy SOB if they did that!!! Especially if it was distinguished by a different colour backspacer!!

But having a lefty Techno would be seriously cool!
**** yeah!!!!
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

swigert wrote:Im just worried it would be just a little off from the perfect finish and it wouldnt look right, I just need something not so bright.
I would definitely not be concerned about any lack of high precision machining of a Ti backspacer from Cuscadi, their F&F is on par or better than Spyderco itself. If anyone besides Sal's crew could make such an item, Cuscadi would be the first place I'd seek out. Everything I've ordered from them is ultra high quality.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

swigert wrote:It is really heavy duty WOW, solid solid solid lockup and very stout blade
The Techno has spoiled me. The few other knives I've handled all seemed 'off' in comparison.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I would definitely not be concerned about any lack of high precision machining of a Ti backspacer from Cuscadi, their F&F is on par or better than Spyderco itself. If anyone besides Sal's crew could make such an item, Cuscadi would be the first place I'd seek out. Everything I've ordered from them is ultra high quality.
While it is very high quality, the Cuscadi carbon spacer for my Techno doesn't sit as perfectly flush as the factory backspacer and based on all the pics on the internet I've seen, this isn't just mine.

I'd order a Ti backspacer in a heartbeat, though.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

flipe8 wrote:While it is very high quality, the Cuscadi carbon spacer for my Techno doesn't sit as perfectly flush as the factory backspacer and based on all the pics on the internet I've seen, this isn't just mine.

Exactly! I always wondered why, since they have the tools to do it right I'm sure. This is why I am really glad I love the original blue.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

My orange geared one has the tops flush, while the original blue one has the gears slightly more raised.
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Done any cutting yet??? I am interested to hear your opinions on using the knife, I am convinced it is just as beautiful as it could be straight from the factory (which is odd for me as I tend to favor customization on many of my knives). Anyway, this thread has got me to kick out the new Manix S110v and put the techno back in my pocket. I am sure I will still carry and use the Manix alot as the weather gets nice and I wears shorts/boardies but this techno is one awesome knife. I haven't used it for too many hard tasks, not because I am scared too, just haven't found the need when I have been carrying this at the office, etc.

So...what have you cut, how did it do, how do the ergo's treat you when cutting? I put a small lanyard on mine (you see I dig the blue theme) and this has improved the grip IMO during use and pulling from the pocket. I tried with the clip removed which I like, but I found I just did not carry as much when I am wearing other than jeans...pics?

[ATTACH]23521[/ATTACH]
Attachments
20140509_072542.jpg
RadioactiveSpyder

flipe8 wrote:While it is very high quality, the Cuscadi carbon spacer for my Techno doesn't sit as perfectly flush as the factory backspacer and based on all the pics on the internet I've seen, this isn't just mine.

Mine is perfect, flush and has zero issues. Sorry to hear yours isn't...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
gph

Post by gph »

My Cuscadi cf backspacer fits good as well. I took a picture but when I tried to upload it I got an error message saying max 100 kb.
RadioactiveSpyder

gph wrote:My Cuscadi cf backspacer fits good as well. I took a picture but when I tried to upload it I got an error message saying max 100 kb.
You should get an account on a photo sharing site like Photobucket to avoid this issue, otherwise you'll never be able to load a decent size/resolution pic directly due to these file size restrictions on Spyderco's website. :)
gph

Post by gph »

Thanks RadioactiveSpyder. I shyed away from those sites in the past because I didn't want to give out personal info. Turns out you can enter anything you like and it'll accept it.

As I posted earlier, I got the cf spacer because I didn't like how fast the stock spacer collected dirt. After that I got a good deal on the wood spacer and later I did a trade for another Techno for a knife I wasn't using.

The wood is stabilized maple burl. Though not perfect it looks quite nice in person.

flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Mine is perfect, flush and has zero issues. Sorry to hear yours isn't...
There's no issues with it, but it just doesn't sit as perfectly flush as the original along the butt of the handle, while the gears don't sit as proud. Could you post a few pics of yours?
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31

flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

NoFair wrote:My orange geared one has the tops flush, while the original blue one has the gears slightly more raised.
I'm talking about the butt of your knife. In your pic, you can see it doesn't sit as perfectly flush. It's far from a big deal, but it is there.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31

RadioactiveSpyder

gph wrote:Thanks RadioactiveSpyder. I shyed away from those sites in the past because I didn't want to give out personal info. Turns out you can enter anything you like and it'll accept it.

As I posted earlier, I got the cf spacer because I didn't like how fast the stock spacer collected dirt. After that I got a good deal on the wood spacer and later I did a trade for another Techno for a knife I wasn't using.

The wood is stabilized maple burl. Though not perfect it looks quite nice in person.
Sure thing, I followed the same advice when I first started out here and it's worked well so far. Those are both really sharp looking backspacers! I especially like the smooth maple one, I could definitely be tempted to get a smooth desert ironwood one to match my Native. We'll be expecting more pics! Cheers, Radioactive :)
RadioactiveSpyder

flipe8 wrote:There's no issues with it, but it just doesn't sit as perfectly flush as the original along the butt of the handle, while the gears don't sit as proud. Could you post a few pics of yours?
Here you go. The last gear in the last pic does seem to sit a little proud. Guess that's easily fixable. I did have to sand the back end on my Military backspacer because the blade was biting into it. Some very fine grit sandpaper has been the way to go, have to track mine down I guess!

3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

The Techno is definitely too thick (And short) for food prep. I don't bother trying my Schempp Tuff on food prep either...too thick. My preferences of my Spydies for food prep is in order, my Chokwe, Military (The CruWear makes a **** fine steak knife and has developed no semblance of patina yet), Caly 3.5, and SB Stretch. The Techno is awesome on cardboard though, and zip ties including the heavy duty UV rated ones, and also dirty/muddy cargo straps, rope, etc.

Edit: I should also add that as mentioned in your previous post, the Techno is fantastic when paired with a larger Spyderco. If I'm unsure of what I'll be doing throughout the day I'll carry my Stretch or PM2 or Tuff etc., but have the Techno in the watch pocket of my jeans above the larger Spyderco for occasions when a more sheeple friendly knife is preferable or a task where the belly of the Techno really excels, like peeling up the corner of a metal sticker like the crane inspection sticker on the boom of one of our picker trucks. I also carry a Leatherman Skeletool CX in my left pocket, and a SpacePen (Copper Hinderer Investigator as of recently, which sits right beside my wallet in my back right pocket). Between all of the above, I'm prepared for very nearly any unexpected situation that may arise.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Sometimes I do carry a pocket watch in my watch pocket, though if I'm carrying my pocket watch I'm not expecting any vigorous manual labour tasks, and I did find my Techno kicking my Nishijin Dragonfly and Chaparral 1 out of my pocket as my preferred gentlemans folder (Hence why I sold both). This is my pocket watch.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

What's up Swigert? You bored with that thing yet? :cool:

My gut tells me that even though you're trying to love it you're still gonna be kinda "meh" after two weeks. Im interested to find out.