Small Question on the Cat, Chicago

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DigitalUrbanCamo

Small Question on the Cat, Chicago

Post by DigitalUrbanCamo »

I am not that familiar with this line from Spyderco. Somebody want to answer a few quick questions and help me out?

-Is the Chicago considered to be in the same line with the Cat?
-If these two knives are part of the same line then are there any others?
-Has there been any Sprint runs done on ether of these two knives?
-Has there been any news on perhaps future Sprint Runs?
-I noticed that in Chicago the law states (well supposedly)it is legal to carry a knife up to 2.5 inches. If that is truly the case then why is the Chicago knife only 2 Inches?

I surly appreciate any help given. Thanks folks.
Sparki

Post by Sparki »

They are both part of the same line. The design as far as handle/clip/screws are all the same, only difference is the size. I don't believe there are any others in the line.

I do know there was a run of carbon fiber/S30V cats, I believe the chicagos were done as well, someone might have to clarify that though. If I remember correctly, there were a few issues with the QC on the CF runs.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sparki wrote:They are both part of the same line. The design as far as handle/clip/screws are all the same, only difference is the size. I don't believe there are any others in the line.

I do know there was a run of carbon fiber/S30V cats, I believe the chicagos were done as well, someone might have to clarify that though. If I remember correctly, there were a few issues with the QC on the CF runs.
Yes, the original Cats and Chicagos were CF/S30V. Problem was, trying to make a knife with those materials at the price point Spyderco desired proved impossible. QC was shoddy, at best, complaints abounded, so both knives were discontinued and most of the existing stock was sold as seconds. Spyderco waited a couple years before introducing the new (current) G-10/440C version.

No Sprints so far, and no upcoming Sprints have been announced, no other current or announced models in that "family". As for why 2", it might just be a concession to reality. Cops don't carry rulers, so it's safer not to have a blade as close to the limit as possible. That's just speculation on my part, it could be for an entirely different reason. Only Sal could say for sure.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Donut

Post by Donut »

From what I've read, the knife law in Chicago has something like a maximum blade length of 2" if you're under 18 and 2.5" if you're over 18.

There might or might not be more requirements than age, but I don't remember off the top of my head what they are.

I believe they are in the same product line for this reason. As far as I know, the history is identical of the two.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks for the info on these, Sparki, Paul, and Brian. I'm not the OP, of course, but I've been sort of on the lookout for a CF Cat and have been wondering why they're so scarce. I think the only one I've seen went for something like $119 on the bay, a good bit more than I thought it was worth. Are they made at the same factory in Taichung as Sages and Chaparrals? This is the first time I've heard of QC problems at Taichung. Maybe the small size made it more difficult to handle the carbon fiber... but I've seen tiny inlays :confused:
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

If you like these designs, the S30V versions pop up now and then on the resale market.

Not all of them had issues and the ones I own are much nicer than the current models.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

As far as I know, the Cats and Chicagos were and still are made by a different maker in Taiwan. They are not made in Taichung.
:bug-red-white
Clip

Post by Clip »

gbelleh wrote:As far as I know, the Cats and Chicagos were and still are made by a different maker in Taiwan. They are not made in Taichung.
My Cat doesn't have the Taichung stamp on it.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

gbelleh wrote:As far as I know, the Cats and Chicagos were and still are made by a different maker in Taiwan. They are not made in Taichung.
Thanks. I had noticed the overall difference and especially the carbon fiber pattern and was just curious.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Definitely not made by the folks in Taichung. The folks making the current ones may have made the originals and are probably the same ones that made the Salsa and the "S" and are now making the Serrata.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sparki

Post by Sparki »

DougC-3 wrote:Thanks for the info on these, Sparki, Paul, and Brian. I'm not the OP, of course, but I've been sort of on the lookout for a CF Cat and have been wondering why they're so scarce. I think the only one I've seen went for something like $119 on the bay, a good bit more than I thought it was worth. Are they made at the same factory in Taichung as Sages and Chaparrals? This is the first time I've heard of QC problems at Taichung. Maybe the small size made it more difficult to handle the carbon fiber... but I've seen tiny inlays :confused:
I've seen CF Cats pop up on BF recently and they sold for around $60, if I recall. Just gotta be patient I guess. :)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

My CF Chicago took me a long time to find. Must have looked at half-a-dozen before I found one in good shape. Most of the issues I saw were chipped CF around the holes - nothing major, but irritating nonetheless. If getting one off of an auction site, make sure to get some close-up shots before pulling the trigger. Also look for the notch in the blade back near the Spydie Hole, which would indicate an official "Factory Second"... Caveat Emptor...

FYI, the Cat and Chicago are very nice knives for modding - easy to disassemble/reassemble and custom scales are easy to fabricate.

TedP
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

I've come to be fond of my G10 Cat. The Chicago is an exact same replica, with the exception of the shorter blade.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
DigitalUrbanCamo

Post by DigitalUrbanCamo »

Thank you for all the information guys. I sure do appreciate it.

PS SAL if you get around to reading this thread I think a few of us including myself would really like to know why you chose to run with a 2" blade on the Chicago. And perhaps you could tease us with some sprint tun maybes or nevers? :D
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

DigitalUrbanCamo wrote:Thank you for all the information guys. I sure do appreciate it.

PS SAL if you get around to reading this thread I think a few of us including myself would really like to know why you chose to run with a 2" blade on the Chicago. And perhaps you could tease us with some sprint tun maybes or nevers? :D
From what I understand, nothing larger than a 2" blade is allowed in Chicago, thus the design and the name.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012