I'm afraid that I'm gonna loose it! Anybody else?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HorserloverFat

I'm afraid that I'm gonna loose it! Anybody else?

Post by HorserloverFat »

Not my mind! (LOL.) My Manix 2 (G-10) ! :p Seriously : I was climbing in and out of rental trucks while helping some friends move yesterday, so I was worried that my knife would fall out of my pocket. I found myself periodically (and neurotically) checking that it was still there by placing my hand upon my pocket. I know that the clip is fairly secure while attached to the pocket, but the knife could still become caught upon something such as a seatbelt and fall out - unbeknownst to me. :eek: I'm thinking about attaching a lanyard to my knife and securing the bitter end to my belt loop during strenuous activity such has hiking and scrambling.

Anyone else here suffer from OCD regarding loosening a knife? :)
Uke

Post by Uke »

Found myself having similar concerns about losing my sprint runs so you're not alone! :) I got the needle and thread out and sewed little strips inside all my trouser pockets. I just pocket clip my Spydies to these bits of material instead which keeps the clip hidden and protected from snags about an inch below the lip of the pocket, if that makes any sense?
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Still no name change? So have you learned to love the horse again and also come to terms with your weight? :D

Just kidding of course........I think you should keep it .........it is unique, and no one will forget it. Cheers!
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

On the topic of losing a knife......I've also had the same concerns. The lanyard idea is one that I've also thought of and would be easy to implement. I was thinking of a simple loop of paracord through the lanyard hole and then a loop behind and pull through behind a belt loop so that you could pull the knife out of your pocket and use it near your body with the knife being hooked to a belt loop and then if you need to use it further away it would be very quick and easy to pull it through the slip loop and disentangle it from your belt loop.

This would provide some extra reassurance during strenuous activity and if the knife did fall out of your pocket it would be easy to feel it hitting the outside of your leg still attached to your belt loop - rather than being left behind in some field.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Or you could just not use the clip and put the thing in your pocket. When's the last time something fell out of your front pocket?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I avoid having to worry about that by carrying my knives loose in my back pocket. Been doing it that way pretty much every day for over sixty years now and have yet to lose one. I can't see any advantage to clipped carry, certainly none that outweighs the potential for snagging the clip on something and damaging or losing the knife, damaging my clothing, and/or damaging the item upon which the clip snagged.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

I always tap/place hand on my pocket randomly during the day, force of habit.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

At .6 oz a Ladybug FRN is pretty easy to misplace. At almost 5oz I would think a Manix2 would be apparent if it went missing. You could always double-clip with a TEC P7 suspension clip.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I don't have any concerns for my knives, as the clips are impressive in strength. My flashlight however, well, the clip isn't very good and catches on things a lot, so I am constantly making sure it is still there.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

The Deacon wrote:I avoid having to worry about that by carrying my knives loose in my back pocket. Been doing it that way pretty much every day for over sixty years now and have yet to lose one. I can't see any advantage to clipped carry, certainly none that outweighs the potential for snagging the clip on something and damaging or losing the knife, damaging my clothing, and/or damaging the item upon which the clip snagged.
I would say it depends on the purpose for what method you use to carry them.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Uke

Post by Uke »

One of the main reasons I go with the pocket clip is to avoid 'pocket-bulge'...it drives me crazy!
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Surfingringo wrote:Or you could just not use the clip and put the thing in your pocket. When's the last time something fell out of your front pocket?
Quite often, especially my cell phone if I elevate my legs by way of an ottoman or recliner. It really depends on the pockets in the shorts or jeans that I happen to be wearing at the time. I need to buy a few more pairs of shorts with cargo pockets that fasten.
paladin

Post by paladin »

The Deacon wrote:I avoid having to worry about that by carrying my knives loose in my back pocket. Been doing it that way pretty much every day for over sixty years now and have yet to lose one. I can't see any advantage to clipped carry, certainly none that outweighs the potential for snagging the clip on something and damaging or losing the knife, damaging my clothing, and/or damaging the item upon which the clip snagged.
I concur except for those of us who wear scrubs or other clothing with loose open pockets ( or non-existent ).

Clips can also it may be easier to index/find/retrieve the knife in certain situations.

Thankful that the clips are removable all the same. :)
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
paladin

Post by paladin »

Also, IIRC, seems like Chuck had a really secure way of carrying his Millies that involved carabiners and lanyards/rope.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I've never had an issue with knife clips, so I don't worry about it much. Pocket clips are a must for me. I carry around so much stuff already that another pocket bulge would take up too much space, be uncomfortable, and probably look conspicuous. I should probably just carry a man purse.
:bug-red-white
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I thought the saying was "use it or lose it". ;)
setldown

Post by setldown »

I frequently still use my old Buck belt leather pouch / sheath and rotate my medium and large folders in and out. Protects the knives, keeps lint and crud out of the pivot. Keeps my pocket free for other stuff. My coin pocket gets the small knives. Hard to break old habits. :D
Focus is just distraction from distraction, so I take my moderation in moderation.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I used to worry but I take a couple precautions that help ease the fear. 1) make sure the clip clips tight. Over time especially if clipped to thick material often, the clips can become weak and need tightened. All you do is simply remove the clip and bend it a little and put it back on. 2) I never use lanyards on any EDC knife. They can easily snag and pull your knife out of your pocket and you won't even notice. 3) I have an "EDC bowl" that I dump all my daily carry items in and my knife is always either in my pocket or in that bowl unless it gets rotated out with another knife and then it gets put back in the box and stacked with my other knives.

Pretty simple routine that's always helped me keep track. I used to use loss an excuse for not paying a lot for a knife but I realized I have things that are almost worthless that I've managed to keep track of for years that are easily replaced so having something of value should get more attention and less chance of loss.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

HorserloverFat wrote:Quite often, especially my cell phone if I elevate my legs by way of an ottoman or recliner. It really depends on the pockets in the shorts or jeans that I happen to be wearing at the time. I need to buy a few more pairs of shorts with cargo pockets that fasten.
Good point. I usually carry iwb so it's more obvious if the knife moves but, like you, I also have the habit of checking my knife often. I do the same thing when I'm hunting. I habitually check the safety on my gun. It may be a bit OCD but I haven't shot anyone yet. I say keep checking! ;)
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I carry clipless in small soft nylon pouch, so always need to reposition them in pocket (benefit is obvious :) ).