Found a task that S110V is NOT good for

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
senorsquare

Found a task that S110V is NOT good for

Post by senorsquare »

Splitting firewood.

I was prepping some firewood last night and started to get curious about the strength of the FRN handles (answer: they're pretty strong). Had a piece of wood that had a nice crack started in it and though "Why not see if I can get this apart with my new Manix?" Put the knife in and pushed down...getting tight, push a little harder...just a little more, maybe pry it a little...pry a little more... just a little mo..SNAP!!

First thought: ****, that was stupid. Really stupid. One of the dumber things I've done with a knife. Yes, beer was involved, but still, dumb.

Second thought: Crap! That's $100 knife. $100. Poof! Gone. Down the drain. Good bye.

Observation: When you see the log the blade is stuck in there will be no doubt that this stunt falls under the abuse, misuse and improper handling disclaimer of the warranty. No W&R for this guy. Try to pry apart a chunk of firewood with a 3mm high hardness blade and chances are good that you are going to break a knife. Excessive force has consequences.

Funny thing: earlier that evening I had considered selling my Schempp Tuff because I didn't really think I had a need for such an overbuilt knife with its thick blade and massive pivot. Looking back now I think that maybe I should keep it. Probably wouldn't to have a folder that's a little more dumbass proof in my pocket. :rolleyes:

Pictures or it didn't happen right? Here you go:

ImageUntitled by senorsquare, on Flickr

Imagefacepalm by senorsquare, on Flickr
Donut

Post by Donut »

Wow, my condolences!

I was wondering based on Cliff's comments the other day... does it make no sense to get a Strider in S110V?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

senorsquare wrote: Put the knife in and pushed down...getting tight, push a little harder...just a little more, maybe pry it a little...pry a little more... just a little mo..SNAP!!
Is this basically you just flexing your wrist sideways and you snapped the blade in half?

Is it possible to see a picture of the entire blade, both pieces to see the direction of the break.

If you want, send me a PM, I know people who can turn that into a fixed blade.
Donut wrote:
I was wondering based on Cliff's comments the other day... does it make no sense to get a Strider in S110V?
It would depend on what you wanted to do with it, and where you wanted it to excel.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

****. The S110V is interesting stuff. My edge micro chipped carving hardwood. Very hard wood, not sure what type. Did the same carving with a 1095 knife with a thinner edge and no chipping. Supports the idea that S110V isn't better at everything. Cardboard chainsaw? Definitely.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Cliff Stamp wrote:Is this basically you just flexing your wrist sideways and you snapped the blade in half?
Yes. Tried to pry it sideways. I basically put a perpendicular force on the side of the blade.
Cliff Stamp wrote:Is it possible to see a picture of the entire blade, both pieces to see the direction of the break.
The blade is still firmly wedged in the log. I'll have to use a splitting wedge to get it out. I'll post a photo of it this afternoon.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

ABX2011 wrote:****. The S110V is interesting stuff. My edge micro chipped carving hardwood. Very hard wood, not sure what type. Did the same carving with a 1095 knife with a thinner edge and no chipping. Supports the idea that S110V isn't better at everything. Cardboard chainsaw? Definitely.
I think I can safely say what I did is something this knife and steel were never intended for.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

senorsquare,
For what it's worth... thank you for your honesty! It's much appreciated! I am sorry to read this though, my heart hurt a little for your Manix2.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
NorthernPanda

Post by NorthernPanda »

"beer brain" gets you every time! That sucks man.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. ― Mark Twain

EDC: 2013 Forum Native:spyder: .or. Resilience and SC52w flashlight - Lovin' it.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm sorry for your loss but at least we get to learn something from it. Thanks for the post.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Clip

Post by Clip »

First ever candidate for a 110V blade swap the other way around!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

TazKristi wrote:senorsquare,
For what it's worth... thank you for your honesty! It's much appreciated! I am sorry to read this though, my heart hurt a little for your Manix2.
Thanks Kristi. It was a great knife and I'm sure I'll be getting another one soon.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

senorsquare wrote:Splitting firewood.

I was prepping some firewood last night and started to get curious about the strength of the FRN handles (answer: they're pretty strong). Had a piece of wood that had a nice crack started in it and though "Why not see if I can get this apart with my new Manix?" Put the knife in and pushed down...getting tight, push a little harder...just a little more, maybe pry it a little...pry a little more... just a little mo..SNAP!!

First thought: ****, that was stupid. Really stupid. One of the dumber things I've done with a knife. Yes, beer was involved, but still, dumb.

Second thought: Crap! That's $100 knife. $100. Poof! Gone. Down the drain. Good bye.

Observation: When you see the log the blade is stuck in there will be no doubt that this stunt falls under the abuse, misuse and improper handling disclaimer of the warranty. No W&R for this guy. Try to pry apart a chunk of firewood with a 3mm high hardness blade and chances are good that you are going to break a knife. Excessive force has consequences.

Funny thing: earlier that evening I had considered selling my Schempp Tuff because I didn't really think I had a need for such an overbuilt knife with its thick blade and massive pivot. Looking back now I think that maybe I should keep it. Probably wouldn't to have a folder that's a little more dumbass proof in my pocket. :rolleyes:

Pictures or it didn't happen right? Here you go:

Imagefacepalm by senorsquare, on Flickr

That's funny really. :D

"Beer was involved" .... LOL

Anyway, I am sorry this happened to you, as you already know what you did I won't be my usual self. ROFL :D

Get another one and remember just don't try and split firewood with it. :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Senorsquare... a few things.

First, I suspected beer was involved
Second, why you would consider selling the Tuff is beyond me
Third, knowing I had a Tuff within walking distance of where the log was I believe I would have sought a slightly more overbuilt tool for the task you planned.

Sorry for your loss, but look on the bright side..... you now have the industry's first S110V hideaway knife (or a letter opener that will never need sharpening).
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Chalk it up as an educational experience, your tuition has been paid in full.

On the bright side, you have some spare parts and a chunk of S110V for a possible future project.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Awesome thread haha. I would definitely take up Cliffs offer in making that knife a fixed blade
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I actually winced when you first said "pry". At least it's a production knife.

Interesting to me that the snap occurred where the scales overlap the blade rather than at the thumbhole. Those scales must be really strong at the pivot, no?

Sorry for your loss, but thanks for sharing.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

As an aside, consider what this means when it is argued that the strength of S110V is high in relation to an edge which is far thinner than the spine.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Be glad it's not a sprint!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

The knife was plenty strong right up until the point that it failed entirely. With an appropriate test fixture we could develop a stress/strain curve, but who wants to volunteer their knife for destructive testing? It is a great cautionary tale for those thinking of using a high carbide FFG knife as a prybar.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Fancier wrote: It is a great cautionary tale for those thinking of using a high carbide FFG knife as a prybar.
You use the edge as a pry bar every time you cut something, the relative strength actually decreases in thin sections, it doesn't increase.

Why have you assumed that it showed high strength, have you put a piece of 1/8" low carbide steel in the plastic range with less force than what was described?