Your thoughts on black blades, please?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HorserloverFat

Your thoughts on black blades, please?

Post by HorserloverFat »

I have decided to give consideration to a black blade version of my next Manix 2 knife which may be a XL. The first thought that comes to mind is that all black would be more appropriate to a tactical folder such as the Paramilitary 2. I'm not aware of any other reasons for a black blade other than tactical purposes...
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Aesthetics. Can make the knife look good and can also "show" that the knife is a user if you cut abrasive materials. Sometimes dlc is handy in daylight, if the blade is uncoated and you catch the reflection just right it could hurt sensitive eyes.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I love Spyderco's DLC. If it were available on every blade/steel, most of mine would probably have it. Many will tell you that it makes them more tactical and like a weapon, and while that may be true in some aspects, my experience has been that the black subdues the presence enough that it cuts down on the non knife people scare factor. A couple years ago I had a long EDC run of two Para 2's back to back, first was a digicam/satin and second was a DLC version. I carried both knives exclusively for many months, and it was immediately obvious that the black one drew less stares from the people I worked with. I believe there's a direct connection between the reflection of a knife blade and the intimidation that a knife can have, and I think having a black blade helps to eliminate some of the scare factor. All that aside, I too like a black blade that shows some wear and character. To me, a battle worn black blade is much more interesting than a scratched up satin/polished blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I usually prefer no coating honestly but it can add to the look depends on the blade.
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Evil D wrote:I love Spyderco's DLC. If it were available on every blade/steel, most of mine would probably have it. Many will tell you that it makes them more tactical and like a weapon, and while that may be true in some aspects, my experience has been that the black subdues the presence enough that it cuts down on the non knife people scare factor. A couple years ago I had a long EDC run of two Para 2's back to back, first was a digicam/satin and second was a DLC version. I carried both knives exclusively for many months, and it was immediately obvious that the black one drew less stares from the people I worked with. I believe there's a direct connection between the reflection of a knife blade and the intimidation that a knife can have, and I think having a black blade helps to eliminate some of the scare factor. All that aside, I too like a black blade that shows some wear and character. To me, a battle worn black blade is much more interesting than a scratched up satin/polished blade.
All excellent points, Mr. D. I was just thinking of the same thing : if I were to draw a Manix 2 XL with DLC in my local cigar shop in order to cut the wrapper then I would probably receive less stares from the other customers. LOL.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I think they are alright, I only have one the Endura4 all blacked out, and the only other black blade I might purchase in the future would be a Para2. But I prefer satin finish.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've mentioned this before on a lot of threads like this, but think about any horror movie you've ever seen where there was a bladed murder weapon. You almost always get that movie shot of the blade reflecting light. It's a cultural thing that's been burned into peoples mind. It's the same with switchblades forever being branded as a gang weapon due to the classic knife fight type movies that glorified them as such.
~David
Holland

Post by Holland »

I really like the look of it on most knives, especially the southard. The thing holding me back from buying a blacked out knife if the fact that it looks more dangerous and more like a weapon. I'd be happier buying a blacked out blade if the handle was a lighter colour
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This thread made me think of this lol

~David
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

:D ssshhh they might ban you from the forum
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

LOL, I know that might seem like a race related thing, but that goes back to another gun that's available in "hunting trim" and in a "tactical version" and one is banned and the other is not, and being black is part of it. Somewhere along the lines being black made things more of a weapon. Maybe we have Glock to blame for it, who knows.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

With a polished edge they are wicked imo. I would like to have a Military Camp/Black...
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

My first and only is my DLC black g-10 millie. I like it a lot for most of the reasons mentioned above, and the only thing that has caused visible wear to it was an aluminum can. It left prominent scratches through the coating and show the bare steel beneath it.
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Never liked em until I tried Spyderco's. Their DLC is superb and looks really nice IMO.
calemerson

Post by calemerson »

Dont like on Spydercos, or Al Mar's, can live with it on an Emerson, but prefer not to. Dont like on BM either.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

RealKnifeUser wrote:My first and only is my DLC black g-10 millie. I like it a lot for most of the reasons mentioned above, and the only thing that has caused visible wear to it was an aluminum can. It left prominent scratches through the coating and show the bare steel beneath it.
Great quote.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Holland wrote:I really like the look of it on most knives, especially the southard. The thing holding me back from buying a blacked out knife if the fact that it looks more dangerous and more like a weapon. I'd be happier buying a blacked out blade if the handle was a lighter colour
So you think that a black blade appears more menacing? Interesting...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Early in my knife collecting when butterflies caught my eye the most, I sought after Plain edged, coated blades. Now I prefer to see the grind lines or a stonewashed finish. I still prefer a coated blade to a bead-blasted, flat finish..... those finishes look so bland and vanilla to my eye. YMMV
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

Also, an all-black knife will appear smaller to the eye than it actually is when compared to satin and lighter handles. Another benefit IMO is that your blade can be put away filthy or wet, or sweaty, and you won't have any problems, even if left that way for a long period of time. YMMV of course.
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I am a fan of DLC and I don't really find the black too tactical looking. I think on some knives when they have all black hardware it just looks right. I also like the look of the logo and the lettering against the black, it really stands out. On the negative side DLC cuts a little weird there is a bit of stickiness that you don't get with a polished blade but that isn't a big deal on most things.