So, I cancelled my pre-orders...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ned

So, I cancelled my pre-orders...

Post by Ned »

I must confess, as of late I have been getting caught up so to speak in the rush to acquire all of the Seki Super Blue FRN offerings. I had orders placed and D'flys on pre-order, looking at the Stretch pretty seriously and then I had an epiphany! I'm just not that interested. There are many other Spyderco products that actually interest me more than these do. So, I have decided to focus on knives which truly interest me simply because I like them without thought of future collectability or any other reason other than my personal interest in the knife itself. Anybody else thinking like this?
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Yes. I just want what I want. If it happens to be a collectible, then so be it. Honestly, I don't really have the time, money or know how to seriously collect. But, I certainly do applaud those who can and do.
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Get the Manbug and be done.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sometimes it's hard not to get caught up in the frenzy. It's good to step back every now and then.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I quit "collecting" last year!!! I buy what I like and use what I buy!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Well I got lucky I guess I really like FRN models and really liked the super blue steel so I am collecting them but I do want them for use not to save and sell later and I will EDC some more than others, the only thing on the list right now that might interest me would be the Native5 light weight but that is about it.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Holland

Post by Holland »

I have been guilty of that in the past. I am starting to move away from collecting and to actually using all my knives. I do plan to buy most of the chaparrals however.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

My collection is of users...I don't buy my knives as an investment to resell later.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Totally with you on this. I mused about attempting to collect all of the Delicas, but realized that it would involve seeking out and buying at a premium several knives that I had no interest in owning. Collecting forces you to complete the collection for its own sake. So I don't collect knives, I amass a collection of users.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Don't get me wrong, if you genuinely like and are interested in FRN or any model for that matter more power to you. I'm simply reevaluating my motives. I use almost all of my knives, I sharpen most of them. (haven't touched my blue Yojimbo) I'm a collector type personality, I like coins for example; now when it comes to knives I think I'm just going to focus on the ones that really appeal to me instead of what happens to be cool at the moment.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I agree on that for some reason there are many models that dont appeal to me, for example the military, sage, chaparral, techno, lava, balance, police, cricket, civilian and some others. Even the stainless steel handles for some reason I stay away from them.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
v8r

Post by v8r »

Ned a couple of years ago I unloaded pretty much all my sprint run models. I had several Manix 2 variations that I rarely used, so I sold them along with a lot of others that never got any pocket time. I kept all the knives that had sentimental value or that I really liked. Now I really gravitate towards classy looking folders , and some of the Ethnic series knives. I also try to take in to consideration if the knife is practical to use/and or carry. My most recent purchases have been a Embassy and Szabo folder with the gold line CF. I really want to pick up a Domino next with the blue line CF. It looks to be about a perfect little EDC knife, along with being super classy.
I say figure out what you like and use it! They are way more enjoyable in use than sitting in the box anticipating what they will be worth in the future.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Ned

Post by Ned »

opusxpn wrote:I agree on that for some reason there are many models that dont appeal to me, for example the military, sage, chaparral, techno, lava, balance, police, cricket, civilian and some others. Even the stainless steel handles for some reason I stay away from them.
That is to funny Opus! My favorite knife is a Military, I just bought a Civilian, Lava, and the next one on my want list is a Balance! Having said this, I do love the Endura, Delica, Manbug, Dragonfly, etc.

Cameron

Post by Cameron »

I've never really understood the collecting for "future value" thing when it comes to pocket knives. Buy them because you want them. I use all my knives without regard to what it will be worth in the future.

If you want to collect something, try collecting mineral rights and business equity...

I buy my Spyderco sprints because I can cut more stuff with them.

Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I've gone through different phases. I do get caught up in the rush to buy sometimes. That seems to result in a future purging of all the excess knives I bought.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah I don't bother with collectability or future value. Life is too short for all that. Maybe if I were strictly a collector and not a user that would make perfect sense, but the sprints are too good for me not to use. The only real problem I have is owning too many excellent users and trying to decide which I want to use.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I could not agree more Ned. I used to be really concerned about collectability but really I like to carry my knives rather than have them sit in a drawer. The only knife I own that I haven't used is the Forum Native 5 and that is mostly because I already have a regular native 5 which I use all the time. I will no longer buy a knife, unless I feel it fills a void which, if I am totally honest, must be the one between my ears because without a doubt I already own enough.
Ned

Post by Ned »

DRKBC wrote:I could not agree more Ned. I used to be really concerned about collectability but really I like to carry my knives rather than have them sit in a drawer. The only knife I own that I haven't used is the Forum Native 5 and that is mostly because I already have a regular native 5 which I use all the time. I will no longer buy a knife, unless I feel it fills a void which, if I am totally honest, must be the one between my ears because without a doubt I already own enough.

That had me in stiches!!! We buy knives because we must! I must confess that void between my ears is just as cavernous.. :D

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

No sense buying stuff you don't really want. I decided to "collect" all the Schempp designs (because I like them), and all Para 2 sprints/exclusives (because I like them). Probably the Sage and Chaparral series too (though I may skip the Chap 3). All my knives are light users. I intend to keep them all forever (unless tastes and interests change of course). As long as it continues being fun, I'll keep my collection growing.
:bug-red-white
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Ned wrote:That is to funny Opus! My favorite knife is a Military, I just bought a Civilian, Lava, and the next one on my want list is a Balance! Having said this, I do love the Endura, Delica, Manbug, Dragonfly, etc.
That's why Spydeco is great they make many models that will fit different personalities, maybe I will evolve more and start looking at those models in the future.