Paramilitary 2 Custom scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hawaiihunter

Paramilitary 2 Custom scales

Post by hawaiihunter »

If anyone could tell me where I can purchase custom PM2 scales from for a reasonable price I would be grateful. Thanks
Looking for: Grey Cts-20cp Paramilitary 2
Green Cts-204p Paramilitary 2
S110v Mule

Currently own: Tenacious, Green Cts-204P Paramiitary 2
Nate

Post by Nate »

Blade HQ sells the custom Putnam scales. They only have a couple of colors right now, $90. Then there's Ebay...
:spyder:
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Depends on your definition of reasonable. Custom Scale Division, or Cuscadi does some great work.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

The guys of Cuscadi have some custom scales in stock, the price including shipping to the U.S. will be 135-140$
http://www.cuscadi.de/custom_scale_divi ... /spyderco/
For a start you could try one of their custom backspacers
http://www.cuscadi.de/2013/11/13/spyder ... ackspacer/
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

While I can't say any more great things about Cuscadi (aside from their pretty high prices), I also had good luck with a engineering PhD student named Ivan who runs this site:

http://www.carbonfibergrips.com

He made these awesome glossy CF scales. Price wasn't much better than Cuscadi, but you don't want cheap, lame scales on your PM2 either! Hope that helps! Cheers, Radioactive :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:While I can't say any more great things about Cuscadi (aside from their pretty high prices), I also had good luck with a engineering PhD student named Ivan who runs this site:

http://www.carbonfibergrips.com

He made these awesome glossy CF scales. Price wasn't much better than Cuscadi, but you don't want cheap, lame scales on your PM2 either! Hope that helps! Cheers, Radioactive :)

Very nice, but that's as much or more than I've paid for most of my sprint/exclusive Para 2s. :eek: Clearly for a knife with recessed liners quality is really important, but... :o
RadioactiveSpyder

JNewell wrote:Very nice, but that's as much or more than I've paid for most of my sprint/exclusive Para 2s. :eek: Clearly for a knife with recessed liners quality is really important, but... :o
Totally agree that the price is high, as much (or more) as the knife itself. At the time, I was on a quest for a CF PM2 and could not/would not drop $5-600 on a S90V version, so this was my next best option. Plus I live nearby Ivan and we ended up having such a good time when we met to try out the scales, I couldn't say no. Plus he's a poor grad student (like I used to be), so I figured he could use the money and I got a sweet knife out of it. I don't use it though, for the fear of scratching it up, though the action is very nice on it (it is a PM2 after all!). All in all, this guy or Cuscadi, there's some cost involved with nice scale mods.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
LC Kid

Tailor Suits Don't Come Any Cheap

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

AFAIK, when you really want to seriously upgrade your scales you must agree to pay premium cash.

It doesn't matter where you get those nice scales, if they're good enough they'll be expensive.

CuScaDi make wonderful scales and backspacers, and the best thing about Luke is that he can makes whatever material/finish combination you ask, not only the awesome things that you can browse on the website.

So, with a little imagination you can have a superb exclusive new suit for your blade.
:) But like custom tailor suits, they don't come any cheap. :rolleyes:
Stay Sharp!
RadioactiveSpyder

Here's another of my modded PM2's. These Allen Putnam scales came from Blade HQ for $80, and the backspacer is from Cuscadi at $35 or so. Guess this is another case of doubling the price of the knife, and also goes to show that stock black DLC PM2's have a short lifetime in my house before seeing a Torx wrench!

wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

There are some nice Putman scales on Ebay right now from a very good seller.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Totally agree that the price is high, as much (or more) as the knife itself. At the time, I was on a quest for a CF PM2 and could not/would not drop $5-600 on a S90V version, so this was my next best option. Plus I live nearby Ivan and we ended up having such a good time when we met to try out the scales, I couldn't say no. Plus he's a poor grad student (like I used to be), so I figured he could use the money and I got a sweet knife out of it. I don't use it though, for the fear of scratching it up, though the action is very nice on it (it is a PM2 after all!). All in all, this guy or Cuscadi, there's some cost involved with nice scale mods.
Yes...and Wilkins, too - all very high quality, all not at all cheap. :)
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Here's another plug for Allen Putnam's scales. I found these on ebay.

You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Anyone know what happened to the Putnam aluminum scales. I have been on the lookout for the gold/orange ones for a while now and all I see are G-10 now???
v8r

Post by v8r »

hiredgun wrote:Here's another plug for Allen Putnam's scales. I found these on ebay.

Dude thats Bad!
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

That looks awesome

Image[/QUOTE]
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

Purchased Steve Butcher scales - brilliant fit & finish!

Also very well priced.

Link to his work:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mica17/

PM me if you want his contact details.

:)
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

dgebler wrote:Anyone know what happened to the Putnam aluminum scales. I have been on the lookout for the gold/orange ones for a while now and all I see are G-10 now???
When I contacted Allen during the winter, he said it was too cold to make aluminum scales during that time. Maybe now that spring is here, he'll make some more.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
hawaiihunter

Post by hawaiihunter »

How much do putnams aluminum scales cost?
Looking for: Grey Cts-20cp Paramilitary 2
Green Cts-204p Paramilitary 2
S110v Mule

Currently own: Tenacious, Green Cts-204P Paramiitary 2
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've got two sets of custom PM2 scales. One is a golden titanium set from John Grimsmo and a second set in burgundy Micarta from Lucas at Cuscadi. I fully concur that with custom scales - you get what you pay for... Quality ain't cheap!

TedP

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

No, and these really need to be exactly right.