Spyderco Manbug Review - One Year Later

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scorpion

Spyderco Manbug Review - One Year Later

Post by Scorpion »

I bought the VG-10 FRN PE Manbug last spring to be an economical, lightweight, non-threatening EDC for life at university. It has lived up to or exceeded all my expectations. The edge is still shaving sharp, even though it has been used to cut oodles of paper, many plastic wraps on food items, and some oddities like a fallen stick. I leave it in my watch pocket every day and can never tell if it's still on me unless I feel for it, which speaks volumes about its weight. I can't think of a single complaint about it, to be honest. I used to wish I bought the G-10 version, as it has more heft and a classier look, but now I realize that the FRN one is at least as capable and much easier to clean, lighter, and not as much of a worry if I lose it. Also the bi-directional grip that only FRN has is amazing. Now, I've heard a thread like this is worthless without pictures so here we go. I will warn you though, I used a 6 year old camera and the lighting available to me, and I have NO photography skills whatsoever. Don't hate me for the terrible pics please.

Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Now for some unusual pics:

BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Awesome pictures!! I've yet to try a manbug I've always relied on my zdp ladybug. Maybe it's time to retire it to the gf and get a manly manbug.
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Saw this thread title as soon as I opened the forum. Anything MANBUG related catches my attention. I'm a big fan of the model. I like the pictures and they are not even close to being bad IMO (and photography knowledge :) ). I think we need a thread just for bad pictures. We all take'em. :) Anyway, the Manbug is a great little knife and capable of far more than the size would suggest. FRN may not be as strong as the G-10 model because of the liners but, FRN will flex a bit I think under pressure but it doesn't break. Or it hasn't for me anyway. I'd say a little flex and then coming back to normal isn't bad at all. More so on the larger FRN knives with no liners I'm sure but as you said the FRN manbug is plenty strong enough for any task you would ever think about using it for. As long as you don't try to cut down any redwoods I think you're ok. :)

Jack
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

As further proof of sharpness, I'll release a never before seen shot of my stupidity. I was trying to wipe the fingerprints off the blade and nearly cut the fingerprints off my thumb.

Edit, yeah, probably shouldn't leave my fingerprint here, sorry guys.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Scorpion wrote:As further proof of sharpness, I'll release a never before seen shot of my stupidity. I was trying to wipe the fingerprints off the blade and nearly cut the fingerprints off my thumb.
If I'm not mistaken, Spyderco is the knife of choice for those hiding from the FBI and need to change their identity AND FINGERPRINTS. :)

Jack
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Fyi, I tried the Paramilitary 2 but it was to big and threatening for my university environment as well as not being any more useful to me, so I sold it. I made $20 on the catch/release though, since I bought used for only $100.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

try a dragonfly excellent yet small.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
kurt6652

Post by kurt6652 »

The manbug is a great little knife, the frn and g10 versions are stout for their size. I put a small lanyard on both of mine, just big enough to get my ring finger and pinky finger through. The lanyard gives me a grip which is as good as my dragonflies. I think I like my manbugs more than my dragonflies.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

The dragonfly has better ergonomics and its a slicer, the manbug has a thicker spine than the dragonfly for being so small it feels more stout in way. But I like both I just think the dragonfly puts you in a place where its not a mini more like a big knife feel but wont scare anybody.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

I actually prefer the Manbug to the dragonfly as well. However, I think I will be getting a Techno as a LBK. (Little Bigger Knife).
kurt6652

Post by kurt6652 »

The techno is a great knife too, it work's well for me with a lanyard. I have too many knives in my edc rotation, for my real uses a little knife is all I need, but I use my knives for food prep sometimes, so a 3" or more blade works best all around.
Ned

Post by Ned »

My ZDP Manbug goes with me everywhere, everyday, its attached to my electronic key...
[ATTACH]23502[/ATTACH]
Attachments
20140430_191603 (1).jpg
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Just so I'm clear, Scorpion, you still have the factory edge on your Manbug? One of your pics of the obverse side looks like it might have a non-factory micro bevel, but I'm just curious.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]