To sharpen or not to sharpen?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you sharpen a new knife before using it?

No. I use the factory edge until it needs sharpening.
38%
Yes. I reprofile/sharpen before using.
18%
Maybe. Will resharpen only if not satisfied with the factory edge.
40%
It depends entirely on the steel and the intended use.
4%

Total votes: 109

kenspen

To sharpen or not to sharpen?

Post by kenspen »

When you get a new knife, do you use it until the factory edge dulls before sharpening or do you immediately put your own edge on it? Since being bitten by the Spyder, I've been extremely impressed with edges that come from the factory. The Dragonfly in ZDP that I just purchased is hair-whittling sharp out of the box. However, I just can never resist putting my own edge on them (not that I believe I can get them any sharper but can match what comes from the factory at least). First thing I do is set the back bevel and then finish with a nice micro-bevel. Anyone else similarly obsessed? Just curious...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I like to use the factory edge until it reaches a level of sharpness that I am no longer happy with. Then when I do the first resharpening, I have some form of baseline for comparison. In most all cases (especially with newer powdered steels) the second and third sharpenings reveal what is most close to the performance expected from said blade. I have noticed this most commonly in S30V.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm rarely satisfied with factory edges. Heck, I sharpen utility knife blades before I can stand to use them.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
NorthernPanda

Post by NorthernPanda »

I'm not that impressed with some of the spyderco factory edges. My forum native in s110v was terrible, Manix s30v was OK but nothing stellar. I always sharpen!
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. ― Mark Twain

EDC: 2013 Forum Native:spyder: .or. Resilience and SC52w flashlight - Lovin' it.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

If it's a user I reprofile and sharpen it right out of the box..
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I reprofile upon opening. Sometimes even regrind
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Usually I use factory edge until it dull. The only exception so far was the 2013 Forum Native, which I reprofiled right away to 13 degrees per side. I just wanted a thinner edge on S110V.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Steel_Drake

Post by Steel_Drake »

I usually reprofile immediately, because I can't really tell anything about a knife's performance for my uses until its ground the way I prefer my edges (12/15 dps).
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I generally at least lower the back bevel just to thin the blade so it slices better. Sometimes I'll let the edge stay the same for a few days but normally when I sharpen a knife I like the edge smoother than what comes on the knife from any factory. To perform any task needed in most EDC folding knives I think 80% of the Spyderco's I've bought are plenty sharp enough for that. For me sharpening has become a hobby in addition to just keeping my knives sharp so to completely leave an edge alone is pretty hard for me to do. But if the edge is even slightly "not sharp" I sharpen it right out of the box. Most of the additional money I spend on knives is based on the edge retention. If it weren't for staying sharp longer I'd still be using $20 knives.

This subject could have been a poll I think. Five or six answers of yes or no based on different edge conditions out of the box. Actually, I think it would be one of the more interesting polls I've seen.

Jack
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

I'm sharpening compulsive. Everything gets sharpened even if I'm not planning on using it.
kenspen

Post by kenspen »

Good idea Jack. I've added a poll.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Voted yes. Every new knife gets sharpened almost immediately. Most will get completely reprofiled before use.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I voted yes, always because that was closer to what I do than maybe. In fact the only two knives I remember being super super sharp were the blue FRN ZDP Stretch and the Michael Walker with CF scales and ZDP blade. Both of those I remember being MUCH MUCH sharper than other Spyderco's. And the average of the other knives was very sharp. That's not saying the edges I sharpen need sharpening. I just feel better having put the edge on myself I think. Similar to how people feel "not" being the driver when in a car. :)

On a side note, I made a tiny fixed blade knife out of an old circular saw blade about a year ago or so. When it came to sharpening it I knew it would take forever on even the coarsest, quality stones. So I set up my Dremel with a grinding stone to do it. I saw a video of Spyderco making a Native and they used a grinding wheel in the video. Much bigger than mine of course. But trying to do that I developed a tremendous respect for people who can quickly sharpen this way. One or two swipes on each side and they get the edges we see? That's impressive.

Jack
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I've never been impressed with Spyderco factory edges. They work, the grinds are generally very even, that's about it.
All God's critters have knives.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I've always found the factory edge to be adequate for immediate use. I wait until it needs to be sharpened before doing so. I've been lucky that many of them reprofiled very quickly.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I voted yes and maybe. In honor of my vote, I am re-profiling my Tuff tonight.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

If it's dull as a m**********r, then I will sharpen/reprofile. In all other scenarios, I strop the edge. If somewhat dull, I start at a more aggressive stropping compound and work my way up. If sharp, I use fine compound.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

only if not to my satisfaction
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Ned

Post by Ned »

I have sharpened all of my knives...if I can't push cut curlicues in phone book paper its not sharp enough..
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

I'm getting frustrated with these new knives, because I can't sharpen these **** super steels with a Sharpmaker, I must be doing something wrong. I may have to look at a different sharpener or something.
Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4